Thread: Looking for resources

Thanks

Default Looking for resources

Greetings,

I would like to clean and polish my fountain pens, looking for a source{s} that provide these supplies.
    I am also looking for a source for converters for Waterman pens from the fifties. I have several Watermans that uses a cartridge that want to replace as converters.

Thanks

Tryphon has a pen polish kit. If the pen isn't too bad I use the Novus 3 step plastic polish. I'll use Simichrome if the surface is fairly bad followed by the three step Novus plastic polish system. If it's really bad (deep scratches, gouges) and it will fit, I'll chuck it up on the lathe and start with 220 sandpaper up to 800 then go through the whole Micromesh abrasive pack (1500-12,000 grit) followed by Novus.

As for the converter, if the pen takes standard cartridges any standard converter will work.

Thanks

There is a picture of the cartridge in the 15 April Album. It is not a standard cartridge typical for Waterman fountain pens.
    Thank you for your help.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    Tryphon has a pen polish kit. If the pen isn't too bad I use the Novus 3 step plastic polish. I'll use Simichrome if the surface is fairly bad followed by the three step Novus plastic polish system. If it's really bad (deep scratches, gouges) and it will fit, I'll chuck it up on the lathe and start with 220 sandpaper up to 800 then go through the whole Micromesh abrasive pack (1500-12,000 grit) followed by Novus.

As for the converter, if the pen takes standard cartridges any standard converter will work.
    I would definitely recommend the micromesh kit from Tryphon. I use those pads on all my pens and then use the Novus 3 step polish. This gets me a glossy-wet-like shine every time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

ypsilanti (July 14th, 2013)

Thanks

Tryphon seems to be down. I think they offer supplies when they can, being a family business. Try www.richardspens.com Binder has all the things you need - Simichrome is a great polish - and be sure to pick up some jewelry cloths as well for the silver and gold parts.

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Default Re: Looking for resources

I have to say I wish Tryphon were still in business but understand the reasoning.

I was gifted a bottle of scratch remover, polish, and pen protectant. I had used the remover and polish with good results. But tonight for the first time I finished with the cleaner/protectant and the pens look so shiny new they look wet. I have only used the protectant on two pens so far, Snorkel Clipper and Sheaffer Balance 350, but will be using it on more as cleaning and polishing time permits.

I do wish I could find someone who has extra of this stuff they don't want or need!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Here in England, I use Autosol, a fine metal polish I remembered from years ago when polishing aluminium crankcases on motor-cycles. It is modestly priced and gives excellent results.

For a fine finish, I have one of Goddards (makers of silver dip) polishing cloths; my local Sainsbury's stocks them. Very good results with this.
    Cob

Thanks

I wish Tryphon was still in business! From all that I have heard about this company, they seemed to be a 1st class operation with all they carried and the way they did business. Maybe, just maybe we will be blessed and they will come back?
    Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi # 63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE F/P, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado,Genkai Nakaya Decapodl Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain!, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa Fe Style Custom "51" Made by Ralph Prather - president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club

Thanks

Where can I get this polishing kit?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vikramguliya View Post
    Main Street Pens and Ron Zorn has great polish for the bodies of pens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikramguliya View Post
    Main Street Pens and Ron Zorn has great polish for the bodies of pens.
    I have never used Ron's Polish, but I have heard this on a couple of boards now, to be true, that it is a quality product! One day I need to get some myself :-)
    Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi # 63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE F/P, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado,Genkai Nakaya Decapodl Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain!, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa Fe Style Custom "51" Made by Ralph Prather - president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club

Thanks

Thanks for that..