Thread: Am I missing something re: piston fillers?

Thanks

Default Am I missing something re: piston fillers?

I've had a couple of piston fillers over the years (I remember one being an early TWSBI; not sure about the other), and I really didn't like them. Internal pistons are okay, I have some sort of Noodler's pen with that and it's fine, but I like to write with my pens posted and piston fillers don't seem to go well with that. I'm always worried about turning the piston by accident. Is it just me?

Thanks

Default Re: Am I missing something re: piston fillers?

Quote Originally Posted by transknition View Post
    I've had a couple of piston fillers over the years (I remember one being an early TWSBI; not sure about the other), and I really didn't like them. Internal pistons are okay, I have some sort of Noodler's pen with that and it's fine, but I like to write with my pens posted and piston fillers don't seem to go well with that. I'm always worried about turning the piston by accident. Is it just me?
    I think your experience is too isolated . There are plenty of piston-fillers that are nearly impossible to accidentally purge.

Some pens are designed in a way where the cap intentionally acts as a fulcrum when posted (the cap contacts only the piston filling cap). Other pens (Montblanc 149 for example) are designed in a way where the cap only contacts the barrel rather than the filler cap.

My advice: Try some different brands before writing off all piston fillers. There are plenty on the market that avoid the issues concerning you.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mmahany For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (February 26th, 2015), Jon Szanto (February 26th, 2015), TarBlue (March 1st, 2015), transknition (March 4th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Most of my piston fillers have a blink cap that covers the piston knob, there is *no way* to turn it accidentally.

My pens that don't have blind caps? They don't just turn accidentally, they aren't that loose! A piston filler should move smoothly but should not be so loose that it can be accidentally moved.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 26th, 2015), transknition (March 4th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

What they said.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Err just a point
    The Original Poster may have a habit of twisting the posted cap while thinking

TWSBI broke me of mine
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (March 4th, 2015)

Thanks

The twsbi mini actually has threads to post the cap on it and it's a piston filler. The 580 you do actually have to worry about it but that's the only pen I've had that had cause for concerns.
    My Pinterest Feel free to add me on Facebook as well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Quantum Sailor For This Useful Post:

transknition (March 4th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Somehow I missed that. I'd say, stop twisting, that's the easy solution. Play with the cap.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

I love my TWSBI Mini because of its threaded barrel end. It makes posting so easy and secure! My biggest issue is that a lot of pens just don't post securely--the caps fall off of the barrel. But over the years, I stopped posting most of my pens and so it's no longer an issue for me.

To your point, though, I can only say that none of my pens--modern or vintage--have pistons that engage that easily. Even my modern Pelikans, which turn very, very smoothly, require a bit of force to actually engage the piston. Have you had a problem with this? Or is it just something you worry about? If it's the latter, I'd say stop worrying and enjoy your pens! Unless you're twisting the cap on and off pretty forcefully, it's just not likely to happen.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

I have a Pelikan demostrator I hate, one reason because it twists so very easily, barely touch it.
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

It's a problem with some piston fillers, not with others. Some, like the Noodler's Konrad, have a blind cap specifically so you can't accidentally open up the floodgates of Baystate Blue. I just attempted it (over a sink) with my Lamy 2000 and there was no problem, so some pens are designed so that the posted cap does not grip the piston. Similarly, I have no issues with my Pilot Custom 823: the cap does not grip the piston mechanism nor does it do so in the Pilot Custom 92. Pelikan m200 also safe.

As you say, however, my TWSBI pens all make it easy to purge the pen. My Noodler's Nib Creaper can do it, but only if I really jam on the cap.

So, by my unscientific sample, the only brand with a real issue is TWSBI. Noodler's Nib Creapers can have the issue, but only if I really post the cap tightly. Other posters may be able to comment about other brands of piston fillers which I don't know.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

It's a good question, though. Few of my piston fillers are postable, save for my Pelikans (M200s and 150s). The caps fit on them so that I don't think I would accidentally turn them. But I can see how it could happen.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    Thanked 2,590 Times in 699 Posts

I did have that posting problem with my TWSBI ROC 100 (a version of the 540). I prefer to post, but it's easier to remove a posted cap by twisting it slightly, and if you absentmindedly did that the wrong way with the TWSBI, the knob would turn and you could dump a little ink. Plus, it was a bit long and ungainly posted anyway. Haven't used that pen in at least two years, I think.

On the other hand, this is no problem at all on my Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Lamy 2000, Pelikan M205, or even the Reform 1745, all of them piston fillers that are easy to use posted. I've never accidentally twisted the knob this way, and none of them have blind caps.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sharmon202 View Post
    I have a Pelikan demostrator I hate, one reason because it twists so very easily, barely touch it.
    I don't normally post, but this isn't the reason. In fact, I was going to suggest a Pelikan because the do post nicely. I just don't do it.
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks

I am really missing the problem. Most of my pens are piston fillers. I prefer piston fillers over anything other than the Sheaffer Vac (Plunger) and some exotics like the Condid Bulk Filler. The only one that posts such that moving the posted cap can move the piston knob is an old Pelikan 100N with a shrunken cap so it posts on the knob instead of the piston housing as designed. That is only because I am not (yet) to the point where I am willing to modify the cap to fit normally again.

Also, the TWSBI 540 (probably what you are talking about) and 580 were never designed to be posted. You could, of course, but not only does that risk cracking the cap lip but and it also holds onto the piston knob. I still love the TWSBI 580, great value for the money, but I don't post it (at least not on purpose.)

Thanks

Okay, so it was the TWSBI (540 I think) that was the problem. I actually (before reading the replies here) ordered two TWSBIs -- a 700 Vac and a Mini. You all say the mini posts with no problems. I'd heard that elsewhere, so I want to try it. When I was reading reviews of the Vac it sounded great so I thought I'd try that too.

Thank you all so much for the replies!

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to transknition For This Useful Post:

Jeph (March 4th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (March 4th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 806 Posts

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (March 4th, 2015), fountainpenkid (March 7th, 2015), Jeph (March 4th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (March 4th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by transknition View Post
    Okay, so it was the TWSBI (540 I think) that was the problem. I actually (before reading the replies here) ordered two TWSBIs -- a 700 Vac and a Mini. You all say the mini posts with no problems. I'd heard that elsewhere, so I want to try it. When I was reading reviews of the Vac it sounded great so I thought I'd try that too.

Thank you all so much for the replies!
    The TWSBI Mini has a really nice posting feature, and if you like posting your pen, I don't think there is a better choice of postable pens for you. I really like mine.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

When I first got my Mini TWSBI, I messed around a bit too much with the piston end and the dog had blue spots for a while...
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (March 7th, 2015), Kaputnik (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks

The only pen I have that you can expel ink from when unposting is my Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age. I discovered it was possible within the first five minutes of unboxing it. Luckily it went all over my hands rather than on my clothes or furniture. I have trained myself to always rotate the cap clockwise while unposting. I use the pen almost everyday at work. It writes beautifully and is built like a tank so I don't have to worry about it getting damaged. If you find a pen you love, it's worth learning how to live with it.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (March 8th, 2015)