Thread: Looking for pens with italic nibs on the cheaper side

Thanks

Default Looking for pens with italic nibs on the cheaper side

I'm putting together a list of pens with italic nibs around $40.00 or less. Below is a list of ones I already know about, what am I missing?

Lamy: Safari and other Lamy pens
    Pilot: Plumix, Prera, 78g
    Nemosine: Singularity, Neutrino, Fission

Thanks,
    Kent

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Re: Looking for pens with italic nibs on the cheaper side

Most if not all of those would be what I consider stubs (when I see 'italic' I'm thinking cursive italic or crisp italic which is going to be sharper than a stub with more noticeable line variation at even smaller widths, where as stubs are smoothed quite a bit to allow for easier/everyday writing even with an untrained hand, but the corner isn't as crisp in the writing).

I was going to suggest something like the Parson Essential Itallix, but Not sure those are $40 or less, I think after the GBP to USD conversion it's probably $60.

Most any pen that can take a Jowo #6 is going to be able to take one of the many stubs out there (ie: Goulet 1.1, 1.5, Nemosine 0.8/1.1/1.5/1.9, Knox 1.1/1.5/1.9, etc), such as the slew of Chinese pens out there (popular ones being Jinhao X750, X450, 159). The nibs themselves would be about $6 to $15, and the pens that can hold them range anywhere from $4 and up, including some like the Noodler's Ahab at $20. So if it can take a Jowo #6, you can just get the pen you want and pair it up with the nib you want.

The more expensive option to the above would be to grab a custom grind, or something like a Franklin-Christoph cursive italic, but those nibs don't start less than $44 for a #5 (or $49 for a #6), they do have some 1.1, 1.4 and 1.5 "cursive calligraphy" nibs for $25 in either #5 and #6 if you like that brand of nibs.
    Last edited by KBeezie; February 27th, 2015 at 08:03 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

kbrede (February 27th, 2015), TSherbs (March 8th, 2015), Xina (February 28th, 2015)

Thanks

For $40 you can buy a 4 pack of these in different widths,

http://www.gouletpens.com/PN90052/p/PN90052

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Neo For This Useful Post:

kbrede (February 27th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

The Italix Parson's Essential is worth the slightly higher price. Still very reasonable.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

7. The Following User Says Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

kbrede (February 27th, 2015)

Conceived in New Jersey, living in South Texas
    Thanks

I have a Conklin Duraflex with 1.1mm italic nib and it's wonderful. I paid $40-$50 from Goulet's.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Willieboy For This Useful Post:

kbrede (March 8th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

An Esterbrook with an Osmiroid italic nib. There is a very broad choice of Osmiroid nibs from fine italic, all the way to paintbrushes 4mm wide.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

kbrede (March 8th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Most if not all of those would be what I consider stubs (when I see 'italic' I'm thinking cursive italic or crisp italic which is going to be sharper than a stub with more noticeable line variation at even smaller widths, where as stubs are smoothed quite a bit to allow for easier/everyday writing even with an untrained hand, but the corner isn't as crisp in the writing).

I was going to suggest something like the Parson Essential Itallix, but Not sure those are $40 or less, I think after the GBP to USD conversion it's probably $60.

Most any pen that can take a Jowo #6 is going to be able to take one of the many stubs out there (ie: Goulet 1.1, 1.5, Nemosine 0.8/1.1/1.5/1.9, Knox 1.1/1.5/1.9, etc), such as the slew of Chinese pens out there (popular ones being Jinhao X750, X450, 159). The nibs themselves would be about $6 to $15, and the pens that can hold them range anywhere from $4 and up, including some like the Noodler's Ahab at $20. So if it can take a Jowo #6, you can just get the pen you want and pair it up with the nib you want.

The more expensive option to the above would be to grab a custom grind, or something like a Franklin-Christoph cursive italic, but those nibs don't start less than $44 for a #5 (or $49 for a #6), they do have some 1.1, 1.4 and 1.5 "cursive calligraphy" nibs for $25 in either #5 and #6 if you like that brand of nibs.
    what this guy said