Thread: Is it true that the matte finish on the Pilot VP Matte Black ruins easily?

Thanks

Question Is it true that the matte finish on the Pilot VP Matte Black ruins easily?

I have heard that the matte finish on the Pilot Vanishing Point Matte Black easily chips off, peels off or is damaged in some other way. Is this true?
    Thanks and kind regards,
    Ajag
    -Ajag

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Default Re: Is it true that the matte finish on the Pilot VP Matte Black ruins easily?

I just got one recently, so I don't know, but what I've read (and seen photos of) is that the early versions did wear off easily, but that the later versions are supposedly (fingers crossed) different and tougher.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Default Re: Is it true that the matte finish on the Pilot VP Matte Black ruins easily?

Mine is almost two years old now and mostly gets carried in my pocket. The finish still looks brand new.

Thanks

I have only had mine for about 6 months and the finish is starting to show some brassing already. It started on the body where the clip rested, but has since spread to other areas. I would say I am generally pretty careful with it but it is a daily driver. I contacted pilot and they told me to send it in but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thanks

I had one that started to come off within an hour of getting it out of the box. I returned it as defective. To me this is clearly a manufacturing defect. I got the replacement and have had it in my rotation for about 3 months now without any problems.