Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Metro Chicago Meet Ups Anyone?

Thanks

Default Re: Metro Chicago Meet Ups Anyone?

Okay... I hope I am not being annoying. But I just wanted to update that perhaps there can be two meet ups scheduled for May and June perhaps?

One tentatively in May for the Chicago Botanical Gardens, and the second at Revolution Brewery in June? Ideas, thoughts? Love it, hate it? I will query about the Chicago Pen Club meetings for these months so that there are no schedule conflicts. More details to be ironed out.

Thanks

Hi all:

Is Century Pens closing? Are there any pen stores left in Chicago? I would to meet up in the northern burbs anytime!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tonian View Post
    Hi all:

Is Century Pens closing? Are there any pen stores left in Chicago? I would to meet up in the northern burbs anytime!
    Funny you mention that...I hope to figure that out soon. For stores located IN Chicago... Just a couple. There is Gilbertson's, and Levenger in the downtown area. Then there is Goode's of Evanston. Lastly, there is Pen Paradise in Oak Park? I just visited the store recently.

Any suggestions onto a place that might be good for a meet up in the Northern suburbs would be fantastic!

Thanks

There are Cheesecake Factory restaurants in the Old Orchard mall, in Skokie, and in the Woodfield mall, in Schaumburg.

As for pen stores, there is also Executive Essentials, in (IIRC) Arlington Heights. This store is actually inside the Irv's Luggage Outlet, on Busse Road. Not a large selection, mostly at full retail, but they do have some sale items and some inks.

The Levenger shop in Chicago is actually located inside the main Macy's store on State Street.

As for Century Pens, I hadn't heard anything of their closing. In fact, I thought I remembered seeing them named as one of the sponsors of the Chicago Pen Show, on the show web site.

There is also a Paradise Pen store in the Oak Brook mall, out west of the city. Another chain that sells mostly at full retail.

There also used to be an office supply store in Elmhurst that sold some pens, but I've never been there. (It may still be there.)

For a major city, Chicago seems to be almost a "pen desert."

If I'm looking for anything less than retail, outside of web merchants, I usually either drive to Indianapolis (Avalon Pens) or Milwaukee (Daly's Pen Shop). Usual disclaimers apply - I have no business connection with either of the shops. Just a customer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveE For This Useful Post:

TerraNoir (March 11th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Old Orchard is a good idea, since it's near the freeway. They have a lot of restaurants, too. And perhaps a Barnes and Noble with a cafe, though I'm not sure.

By the way, I'm helping Terra Noir organize, primarily by collecting emails. So if anyone is interested in future meetings, either at the pen show or in the northern suburbs, and I don't already have your email, please PM me with an email address, and I'll send you mine, too.

A visit to Milwaukee this summer sounds fun.

-Laura

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Old Orchard is a good idea, since it's near the freeway. They have a lot of restaurants, too. And perhaps a Barnes and Noble with a cafe, though I'm not sure.

By the way, I'm helping Terra Noir organize, primarily by collecting emails. So if anyone is interested in future meetings, either at the pen show or in the northern suburbs, and I don't already have your email, please PM me with an email address, and I'll send you mine, too.

A visit to Milwaukee this summer sounds fun.

-Laura
    Old Orchard is perfect.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    There are Cheesecake Factory restaurants in the Old Orchard mall, in Skokie, and in the Woodfield mall, in Schaumburg.

As for pen stores, there is also Executive Essentials, in (IIRC) Arlington Heights. This store is actually inside the Irv's Luggage Outlet, on Busse Road. Not a large selection, mostly at full retail, but they do have some sale items and some inks.

The Levenger shop in Chicago is actually located inside the main Macy's store on State Street.

As for Century Pens, I hadn't heard anything of their closing. In fact, I thought I remembered seeing them named as one of the sponsors of the Chicago Pen Show, on the show web site.

There is also a Paradise Pen store in the Oak Brook mall, out west of the city. Another chain that sells mostly at full retail.

There also used to be an office supply store in Elmhurst that sold some pens, but I've never been there. (It may still be there.)

For a major city, Chicago seems to be almost a "pen desert."

If I'm looking for anything less than retail, outside of web merchants, I usually either drive to Indianapolis (Avalon Pens) or Milwaukee (Daly's Pen Shop). Usual disclaimers apply - I have no business connection with either of the shops. Just a customer.
    Why thank you for giving expanding on my reply. I ordered from Irv's Luggage Outlet through a recommendation from Retro 51. That's pretty funny.

I think a field trip to Milwaukee would be pretty awesome. I guess I'm a sucker for gluttony...but I do seem to pay retail...often Haha!

As Laura N, said, if anyone wishes to give her your information that would be fantastic. It sounds like Cheesecake Factory is a good idea after all? Anyone has any suggestions on dates. I'm pretty open. A little meet and greet before the Chicago Pen Show so we all know what each other look like. I wonder how many of us walked past each other and didn't know last year.

Thanks

Check your inbox, Laura. I've PM'd you my email address so you can add me to the Chicago area list.

Thanks!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveE For This Useful Post:

Laura N (March 12th, 2015)

Thanks

Just wanted to let you Chicago area pen geeks know that Gilbertson-Clybourn closed.

My brother visited there and got one of the last Visconti fountain pens when Dan told him the store was closing.
    Last edited by Misfit; March 12th, 2015 at 02:53 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    Just wanted to let you Chicago area pen geeks know that Gilbertson-Clybourn closed.

My brother visited there and got one of the last Visconti fountain pens when Dan told him the store was closing.
    Really?! I guess they are in the process of closing. I walked by there on Tuesday, and the lights were still on. That kinda...sucks.

Thanks

Glad to know as our next move may be to Chicago there is such a fun community! Will reach out if get there!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    Last year's show was open to "the public" on both Saturday and Sunday. Is that no longer the case? The Schedule page only shows General Admission on Sunday, yet the Prices page shows both days.
    I come with news!! It is General admission for both Saturday and Sunday! Spread the word!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingfountain View Post
    Glad to know as our next move may be to Chicago there is such a fun community! Will reach out if get there!
    Yep!! There are some really fun and friendly people here. You will be welcomed warmly for sure.

Thanks

Hoping for a meeting location in the northern burbs. Please post a time and location when decided. Add me to the list of interested pen geeks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penhappy View Post
    Hoping for a meeting location in the northern burbs. Please post a time and location when decided. Add me to the list of interested pen geeks.
    Well currently looking for dates that appeal to people. I would hate to set things up and get the normal "Well...I have plans." Or "If it was only at this time." We do have a suggestion on going to Old Orchard, and perhaps a couple of trips to some "local" pen shops in WI and IN.

For the Pen Show, does anyone know what days they are going?? Perhaps we can all meet up at the Anderson's table and go from there?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

I'll throw in my vote for the pen show: I prefer Saturday and will be there then for sure. Sundays have been a little dead in the past, with vendors packing up early and some already gone.

Also I've been collecting emails, and giving out mine, so that gives everyone a contact method if people arrive later. Again, anyone interested may want to PM me with an email, to stay in the loop, and just in case.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    I'll throw in my vote for the pen show: I prefer Saturday and will be there then for sure. Sundays have been a little dead in the past, with vendors packing up early and some already gone.

Also I've been collecting emails, and giving out mine, so that gives everyone a contact method if people arrive later. Again, anyone interested may want to PM me with an email, to stay in the loop, and just in case.
    +1 for Saturday

Thanks

Hi, I am also going to the Chicago Pen show and interested in the meet up. Please keep me updated. Thanks

Thanks

Well it seems like Saturday is the day. I should be over there as soon as the doors are to open. Does anyone have a specific time they want to meet up?

Thanks

I usually get there before they open, so opening time on Saturday is good for me. I'll have to get used to the new venue, though. I had been going to the shows at The Westin since 2000 or 2001.

I don't post selfies, so you'll have to guess who I am, though.