Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Metro Chicago Meet Ups Anyone?

Thanks

Default Re: Metro Chicago Meet Ups Anyone?

Roger - We have met, but it was some years ago, and I'd still remember the hat. How long ago did you host some meetings at Joseph Electronics?

Thanks

Hope you all have fun. I've thought about driving down for it, but a bit too far on Sunday afternoon.

Thanks

Yay! My account finally works, so I can finally say I've been following this thread with great interest, being new to the pfm scene, but very interested in meeting others! I don't think I can make it this weekend, but I am VERY interested in meeting up at the pen show, especially since it will be my first!

Thanks

I don't remember a Josephs Electronics unless that is a related name for Studio North. That would have been 10-15 years ago. Then again there were some one offs. We first met (when Len organized the first one) at a Borders I think in North Brook. I almost missed it entirely as they changed the time to earlier and I missed the memo. I switched to a cowboy hat from a fedora in 1993.

Roger W.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Linkdeath View Post
    Yay! My account finally works, so I can finally say I've been following this thread with great interest, being new to the pfm scene, but very interested in meeting others! I don't think I can make it this weekend, but I am VERY interested in meeting up at the pen show, especially since it will be my first!
    Welcome to the fun. We were doing this little meet up so we knew what each other looked like before the Chicago Pen Show that's coming up. Are you attending?? I believe our plan is to meet up at the Anderson's table on Saturday. It would be delightful to see you there!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roger W. View Post
    I don't remember a Josephs Electronics unless that is a related name for Studio North. That would have been 10-15 years ago. Then again there were some one offs. We first met (when Len organized the first one) at a Borders I think in North Brook. I almost missed it entirely as they changed the time to earlier and I missed the memo. I switched to a cowboy hat from a fedora in 1993.

Roger W.
    And why the switch from a cowboy hat to a fedora? Now I feel almost obligated to wear one now. Though your cowboy hat is pretty awesome.

Thanks

a few reasons for the switch. I always wore the boots even when I was a kid and I was getting my boots then from a western store that had the clothes and hats of course. I also got divorced that year so I was going through some things. I like the wide brim you can only get from a cowboy hat.

Roger W.

Thanks

Roger - IIRC, someone from the Chicago Pen Club was either affiliated with or on the board of Joseph Electronics, and was able to use a conference room at their headquarters at Howard Street and Caldwell Avenue, in Niles. I think maybe you and I even talked about a DuoFold Junior you had recently gotten. Maybe I have things mixed up - just thinking about what car I was driving at the time puts the date around 12-14 years ago.

Prior to that, I attended a couple of meetings at Len's office. I remember that his office felt more like a museum than some museums I'd visited. I even met Susan Wirth at one of the meetings at Len's place.

At any rate, let's plan to definitely meet on Sunday. Then the history will be just that.

I plan to bring a few pens with me - variations on how others "see" the DuoFold Senior. I won't be carrying the big cases - that would make me look (and feel) like a geek.

Thanks

Steve;

We met a Don's office early on and he had a lot of great desk bases. It was a great atmosphere but became too small quickly. We never met a Len's office as that was in his house in Long Grove. I do remember now Joseph's Electronics as we met there briefly. Then Studio North which had a great conference room. After that we had a hard time finding space. We met in the back room of a restaurant for a bit which wasn't bad and is where we were when the pics of the Parkers was taken in the thread on Pen Board recently. Hillside has been a steady location ever since though I've tried to throw in different locations with little success. If we could ever get back to 20-25 regulars I think we could attract some of the bigger dealers to show up.

I have envisioned for years the Chicago Pen Club being a two hub club with the second location being Old Orchardish (hence trying Skokie Library). So maybe the Pen Geek interest can make this finally happen. The Chicago Pen Club has never had a structure beyond Len or myself arranging meetings.

Roger W.

Thanks

How was the meet-up? Any fun pens exchanged? Any pictures?
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

It was great. We looked at a small part of Roger's amazing Sheaffer collection, plus one Parker that is the pen to rule them all. And the rest of us passed around pens, too. Vintage and modern. I got to see TerraNoir's Pelikan Cafe Creme, which I loved. TerraNoir tried my vintage Pelikan OBB. Steve had a really neat Duofold-centered collection, authentic and homage. David and I enthused over everything. And we all saw a sneak peak of photos of some of the pens and ephemera that will be auctioned at the Pen Show. Did Dan send anyone that link? I'd love to see it!

Mostly we laughed a lot.

You'll have to come to our next one. It was fun!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

TerraNoir (April 14th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    It was great. We looked at a small part of Roger's amazing Sheaffer collection, plus one Parker that is the pen to rule them all. And the rest of us passed around pens, too. Vintage and modern. I got to see TerraNoir's Pelikan Cafe Creme, which I loved. TerraNoir tried my vintage Pelikan OBB. Steve had a really neat Duofold-centered collection, authentic and homage. David and I enthused over everything. And we all saw a sneak peak of photos of some of the pens and ephemera that will be auctioned at the Pen Show. Did Dan send anyone that link? I'd love to see it!

Mostly we laughed a lot.

You'll have to come to our next one. It was fun!
    It was a blast. I think we were having too much fun to take photos. I really loved Laura's vintage Pelikan with that awesome OBB! I haven't gotten a link yet. Pretty stoked.

Thanks

Sounds great! Look forward to meeting some of you at the Chicago Pen show.
    Jeff

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lowjax For This Useful Post:

TerraNoir (April 15th, 2015)

Thanks

I agree - fun is an understatement! We just might have to make this a regular event, at least a few times a year. We may even qualify to become a satellite of Roger's Chicago Pen Club.

It was great to meet everyone, and I think it would be great fun to simply get to know each other a bit better. I'd like to know what your focus is in pens, inks, etc., as well as any tricks or techniques you've found useful in anything pen-related (handwriting, calligraphy, repairs, pen hacks, ink mixes. . . all of it).

We must have had too much fun - everyone has cell phone cameras, and the only one who took any pictures was Don (and I'm sure that with THAT camera, they are great shots).

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TerraNoir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Mostly we laughed a lot.
    It was a blast. I think we were having too much fun to take photos.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (April 15th, 2015), TerraNoir (April 15th, 2015)