Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Metro Chicago Meet Ups Anyone?

Thanks

Default Metro Chicago Meet Ups Anyone?

I was wondering if people might be interested in meeting up closer to the Chicago area and enjoy some coffee and pens. With awesome company and such? I know of a few places that are train and bus accessible that are open to groups meeting there and having a great time. Some even have board games!

Just throwing my hat out there.

Thanks

Default Re: Metro Chicago Meet Ups Anyone?

There is a Chicago Pen Club that meets monthly out in Hillside. The meetings are on a Sunday afternoon, IIRC around 2 PM. I went to a couple of meetings several years ago but haven't been able to lately as the location is about 25 miles from my home, and the timing is difficult for me.

I think Roger W. is the point man for the group.

Now, if we could gather a group to meet in a near northwestern suburb on a weekday evening, it might get my vote.

Thanks

Hi TerraNoir, I hope you keep trying to get a Chicago city club. My brother lives in Chicago. Given the size of your city, Chicago could easily support 2 pen clubs (assuming there is only the one meeting in Hillside).

I'm trying to get my brother interested in a club of some kind. With no car, he can't get out to Hillside, but a pen club would be good for him.

The hard part of getting a pen club going is how to find members. But if you do get a pen club that meets in the city, please post about it. From what my brother said, I'd suggest making a few topics (like politics) off limit. Good luck!

Thanks

TerraNoir, where is the meeting spot with board games? I think I piqued my brother's interest when I told him about your post. Since he has to take mass transit, here is the "area" he would meet at: Downtown. Meaning anything south of North, east of Halstead, north of Congress, and west of the lake.

So I'm guessing that leaves a lot open. I visit him in Chicago but I live in Missouri.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    There is a Chicago Pen Club that meets monthly out in Hillside. The meetings are on a Sunday afternoon, IIRC around 2 PM. I went to a couple of meetings several years ago but haven't been able to lately as the location is about 25 miles from my home, and the timing is difficult for me.

I think Roger W. is the point man for the group.

Now, if we could gather a group to meet in a near northwestern suburb on a weekday evening, it might get my vote.
    I know!! Haha! I was at the last meeting. They are super fun guys to hang out with. I was just seeing if there was anyone in the Metro area that wanted to hang out. Since Hillside is not mass transit friendly in any way unless there is some coordination involved.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    TerraNoir, where is the meeting spot with board games? I think I piqued my brother's interest when I told him about your post. Since he has to take mass transit, here is the "area" he would meet at: Downtown. Meaning anything south of North, east of Halstead, north of Congress, and west of the lake.

So I'm guessing that leaves a lot open. I visit him in Chicago but I live in Missouri.
    Haha! That's cool!! I will have to think of a place close by to that area. There is a few local eateries that allow Scrabble but it's a bit more North of Congress, but right off the Brown Line. Then there is Molly's as well. I would have the explore that area a little and see what I find.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TerraNoir For This Useful Post:

Misfit (March 8th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

I'm in the northern suburbs, but my nights and weekends are pretty full. I would love to do a meet-up, but downtown is no better than Hillside for me, at least this time of the year. But they are super fun and you should do one. Maybe by the summer I'll have more free time, because I'd love to go to one.

And maybe we can all arrange to meet up at the pen show? It's usually the first weekend of May. It's amazing to look outside and thing that in two short months it won't be 13 degrees outside and the pen show will be here.

Thanks

Mr. Wooten is indeed the point man for the Chicago Pen Club - and now for the Chicago Pen Show as well. Will be at a different venue, though not far from the original one. In fact, the new venue is closer to Rosemont's shopping and restaurant "district".

Perhaps a gathering at the show to organize future meetings with Mr. Wooten?

J

EDIT: here's a link to the newly updated website for the Chicago Pen Show: http://www.chicagopenshow.com/schedule.html
    Last edited by Playtime; March 5th, 2015 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    I'm in the northern suburbs, but my nights and weekends are pretty full. I would love to do a meet-up, but downtown is no better than Hillside for me, at least this time of the year. But they are super fun and you should do one. Maybe by the summer I'll have more free time, because I'd love to go to one.

And maybe we can all arrange to meet up at the pen show? It's usually the first weekend of May. It's amazing to look outside and thing that in two short months it won't be 13 degrees outside and the pen show will be here.
    Maybe a day at the Botanical Gardens might be a good idea. I usually go there at least once a year. It would also be pretty awesome to organize a little get together at the Pen Show as well!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TerraNoir For This Useful Post:

Laura N (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Last year's show was open to "the public" on both Saturday and Sunday. Is that no longer the case? The Schedule page only shows General Admission on Sunday, yet the Prices page shows both days.

Thanks

Not too sure. I am sure that Roger will clear all that up.

Thanks

My brother used to live north of downtown. Now his place is west of downtown near Humboldt Park. I'm not familiar enough with Chicago to know the area he outlined in the earlier post I wrote.

I hope this works out and you get another club going, whether my brother joins up or not.

I kind of want to go to pen club meetings. I need to follow up on the ones (I think there are two) I know of in Kansas City, MO.
    Last edited by Misfit; March 9th, 2015 at 04:27 AM.

Thanks

I'm quite familiar with that area for sure. There are a few good places in that area too. Just depends on the location he might be interested in. Does he have friends that are into fountain pens too? I have been checking out the local stores, and making my final trip to Century Pens soon.

I don't know if I could form a club on my own. Sadly. That might start another rivalry that the city doesn't need. Haha! We already have one, and it's about to start. ( White Sox Vs. Cubs ). I just want to organize some get togethers for people who might not be able to make the hike to the club meetings.

And I hope you do get to a pen club meeting in your area, Misfit. They are so much fun!

Thanks

I can understand your concern. Still, with a city the size of Chicago, I would think it could support several groups meeting in different areas.

Im not sure if he does have any fountain pen friends. I don't. I have 3 Pilot Varsity FP for Christmas 2 years ago. None of them has given feedback.

Thanks

Well if the demand comes to where a second pen club would be needed. Perhaps I will venture out to make one. Until then, it still seems pretty sparse. The FP Geek community in Chicago are still very much so in hiding.

For your brother, perhaps you should lure him here and have him make a few friends. I know that we are planning a little get together after the Chicago Pen Show. I will have a better idea next week or so. Once I have a full handle on the details on the Chicago Pen Show.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TerraNoir View Post
    Well if the demand comes to where a second pen club would be needed. Perhaps I will venture out to make one. Until then, it still seems pretty sparse. The FP Geek community in Chicago are still very much so in hiding.

For your brother, perhaps you should lure him here and have him make a few friends. I know that we are planning a little get together after the Chicago Pen Show. I will have a better idea next week or so. Once I have a full handle on the details on the Chicago Pen Show.
    You go! I'm right here with you. Maybe, slightly behind, and off to the left. But cheering you on as you lead the charge.

FPG Meetup at the Chicago Pen Show: let's do it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

TerraNoir (March 9th, 2015)

Thanks

I'm in the northern suburbs also. A meet-up sounds like a good idea. Looking forward to May's Chicago show. Downtown is a better option than Hillside, but still a hike.

Thanks

I could vote for northern or northwestern suburbs. I attended the Chicago Pen Club meetings when they were held up north, but the move to Hillside (along with the mid-afternoon Sunday time slot) put an end to it for me.

I'm still planning my visit time for the show this year - may have some partial time conflicts at home this year.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveE For This Useful Post:

TerraNoir (March 9th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TerraNoir View Post

You go! I'm right here with you. Maybe, slightly behind, and off to the left. But cheering you on as you lead the charge.

FPG Meetup at the Chicago Pen Show: let's do it.
    D'awwwwwww. Why thank you for the vote of support. We shall see how it goes.

And I agree FPG Meet up at the Chicago Pen Show is definitely a must! I'm still a wee bit confused on the weekend schedule. Because it says General Admission on Sunday only. BUT! There are both Saturday and Sunday rates. So more from me on Monday for sure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dgator View Post

I'm in the northern suburbs also. A meet-up sounds like a good idea. Looking forward to May's Chicago show. Downtown is a better option than Hillside, but still a hike.
    It sounds like the Northern suburbs might be a better bet. I am only familiar with a handful of them. Since all I know are all of the ones you drive through to get to Wisconsin. A little bit of a heading might make it a little bit easier. I don't mind traveling about. Especially to meet fellow FP Geeks! That's always a blast. Though I am bouncing around some ideas for a Downtown meet. Haha! I have a rather default one, but that can be quite hilarious and embarrassing at the same time. Right now...Fountain pens and cheesecake sounds good. Isn't there a Cheesecake Factory in the northern burbs?