Thread: "Ink flow issues" with second hand MB 146

Thanks

Default "Ink flow issues" with second hand MB 146

Hi Everyone,

I bought a one-owner second hand MB 149 circa 1988. A good looking pen with a medium nib and split ebonite feed. I bought the pen because I thought having a Montblanc where they control the ink and all components of a pen would result in a better writing experience. Alas, for right now I was wrong!

I need your help.

Is there any reason that my MB 149 will not write with Montblanc Midnight Blue without hard starting every 7-10 words or so? It doesn't hard start on very cheap paper. The same ink in a different non-MB pen writes fine on all papers. And what paper is everyone using that gives good results that I could use as a notebook?

If I can't get a good writing experience, even with Montblanc, I'll have to go back to *ahem*... ballpoints.

Dave

P.S. And yes, I have been using fountain pens for 10+ years and still struglle with ink-pen-paper ratios.

Thanks

I think I'll send the pen off to Montblanc North America repair and see if they think something is wrong with it. I just want a pen that works. Oh well... the 'perfectionist' in me is not suited for fountain pen use... me think.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I have never really messed with a MB. I'd start with the basics and it being a MB, I understand you can't do much without sending it off to MB service center. Flush and make sure the nib is aligned is about all you can do unless you are experienced MB service tech or an adventurous type.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Does it only hard start when filled with Midnight Blue? Or does it hard start with other inks, too?

I think the nib probably has somewhat of a baby's bottom. You can read about that here, at the bottom of the page. The fact that you say it doesn't hard start on cheap paper makes me believe this even more. Cheaper papers usually are more fibrous, which can kind of reach up between the tines and grab the ink, reducing the effect of the baby bottom.

Thanks

Dan and Ivan,

Thanks for your insights. I should upgrade my FP Geek knowledge and learn more about the tools I wield. Like how to do minor nib adjustments myself... I tried on one pen and am ashamed to say I might have created an "inverse taper" that Richard B shows in the link you shared Dan... Eeek... oh well.

My MB is on it's way to the MB repair shop. Soon to be a little lighter in my wallet.

Dave

P.S. I forgot to mention, I only tried the MB Midnight Blue. I should have tried another ink, but alas...
    Last edited by davelindberg; August 20th, 2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Added PS.