Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Forum Is Back. But What Is Going On?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,466 Times in 4,006 Posts

Default Re: The Forum Is Back. But What Is Going On?

I am so glad to see you back FPG. I wouldn't want to have to begrudgingly survive on FPN again, especially as I received a moderator's warning on there for merely mentioning that there was another forum that offered worldwide PIF's.

It would be like losing a friend if you weren't around.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (March 6th, 2015), Hawk (March 6th, 2015), inlovewithjournals (March 9th, 2015), Jon Szanto (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks

I'm new here, I have not read everything that interests me. Thank you for putting into operation of the forum.

Thanks

This morning I had to get the PC mouse replaced as the previous mouse button got worn out. That is how many times I tried to access this forum yesterday.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RuiFromUK For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (March 6th, 2015), kaisnowbird (April 3rd, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (March 6th, 2015), sharmon202 (March 6th, 2015), Tracy Lee (March 6th, 2015), View from the Loft (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Me too. I held my breath when getting on taptalk this morning. It's here!!! Life is good.

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susan3141 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharmon202 View Post
    I was suprised how I reacted to the possibility this being gone. Badly. I did not realize how much changes here may be connected. I hope they will realize how much we all mean to each other and work things out. I think they both mean a lot to us all too. Anything any of us can do to help? Being demanding about answers may not be helping.
    You're right. I didn't mean to be demanding. I'm just curious and scared. Whatever happened affects us all, and I much prefer this forum to the . . . alternative(s). I guess I just hope that we'll get some sort of assurances that the Forum will continue, even if we aren't told why this happened. I don't really need gory details, I just want to have an understanding of what happened and how we can make sure it doesn't happen again, if we can.
    I apologize, I was not saying this to any one person just to us. I also do not need details, history. Just tell us how to help. I look at other forums but rarely contribute and get off it as soon as I see the nastiness that inevitably I run into. A lot of nice people in other forums are negated by a few extremists, IMHO. I am not sure there are assurances in forums are there? This is being run by basically volunteers doing the best they can. I imagine there could be burn out just like a regular job eh? Anyway, I was sure surprised by my emotional reaction. I have never in my life reacted like this when TV went out, sure would not now. Nice silver cloud, learning a bit more about myself yesterday.
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sharmon202 For This Useful Post:

elaineb (March 6th, 2015), VertOlive (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgaine View Post
    Some people don't realise how much they appreciate something until it is gone... I do hope we don't have to experience this gone again.
    Wise words, and a good reason to support this site financially by hitting the "Donate" button.
    I will hit the donate button again if they tell us that is one root cause of a problem.
    Sandy

Thanks

Some people don't realise how much they appreciate something until it is gone... I do hope we don't have to experience this gone again.
    Wise words, and a good reason to support this site financially by hitting the "Donate" button.
    I will hit the donate button again if they tell us that is one root cause of a problem.
    Reading between the lines, I don't think it's a money thing. Eric left, and Dan continued with the site by himself. Eric came back, didn't like the direction FPG had taken, and closed it down.

It's sad that people who used to be friends couldn't come to some sort of agreement. I just hope it doesn't get messy as the Fountain Pen community starts to take sides

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ste_S For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (March 6th, 2015), ChrisC (March 6th, 2015), Jon Szanto (March 6th, 2015), PeppWaves03 (March 6th, 2015), tandaina (March 6th, 2015), View from the Loft (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

That is the question. Until we know why what happened happened and if there is anything we can do to help there is not much we can do. The forum does seem to have become its own community, its own entity. Perhaps that should be recognized in the organization of the site. Perhaps there should be a board of directors made up of members of the forum and the front page material should be separated for Dan and Eric to figure out at their discretion. Who would run the technical side? Volunteers? Hired help? I don't really know how these things work. Right now the forum doesn't own itself and that makes it very vulnerable. Is there another way?
    FP Geeks has been a joyous part of my life since almost from its very beginning, since before there was a forum. Joining the forum when it began seemed like the silliest thing a person could do. Yet it is now the source of some of the nicest people I know, many of whom have become cherished friends through Incowrimo. I would like to help promote its healthful continuation and contribute what I can, materially and spiritually, to that end.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

13. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

akapulko2020 (March 6th, 2015), amk (March 6th, 2015), cwent2 (March 6th, 2015), earthdawn (March 6th, 2015), Hawk (March 6th, 2015), klpeabody (March 6th, 2015), Morgaine (March 6th, 2015), Potter (March 6th, 2015), reprieve (March 6th, 2015), Scrawler (March 6th, 2015), tandaina (March 6th, 2015), Tracy Lee (March 6th, 2015), VertOlive (March 6th, 2015), ypsilanti (March 9th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,744 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Anderson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Is there a simple explanation of what's going on?
    Sure is. The reason will come clear in due time. We should all thank Eric for getting the forum back up, I just suggested it.
    I'll have more to say later tonight. Before the forum came live again, I thanked you, Brian, for your efforts over on FPN; I reiterate that. I thank Eric as well, though I am assuming he is also the one who took them down.

Which leads to this: I sincerely hope this community is given an explanation for all of this. I have supported FPG with time, energy, and donations. I was not happy to see it summarily executed, if only to rise from the dead again.

But, more later. For now, relief at the return of a Very Good Thing.
    Megadittos here.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

It was interesting how some of us found each other over at the other forum and banded together like a bedraggled group of refugees! Who knew an online community could be so satisfying that we'd seek each other out in the back alleys of another cyber place? Like Sandy, I learned a lot about myself this week. So very glad and relieved y'all are here!

And yes, once things are a bit more clear, I'll commit to being a regular donor as I do on my other [non-FP] cyberhome because I now see how much this forum means to me.

PS: And I am not a hugger, but there you go.
    Last edited by VertOlive; March 6th, 2015 at 07:22 AM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (March 6th, 2015), cwent2 (March 6th, 2015), earthdawn (March 6th, 2015), elaineb (March 6th, 2015), Holsworth (March 6th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (March 6th, 2015), migo984 (March 6th, 2015), Morgaine (March 6th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (March 6th, 2015), Scrawler (March 6th, 2015), Xina (March 7th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    It was interesting how some of us found each other over at the other forum and banded together like a bedraggled group of refugees! Who knew an online community could be so satisfying that we'd seek each other out in the back alleys of another cyber place? Like Sandy, I learned a lot about myself this week. So very glad and relieved y'all are here!

And yes, once things are a bit more clear, I'll commit to being a regular donor as I do on my other non-FP cyberhome because I now see how much this forum means to me.
    Me, too, with gravy on top!
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Oh, gravy is a food - for all that are tracking this (Andersons) the food discussion started at post #51!
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cwent2 For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (March 6th, 2015), earthdawn (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

I have to say, I don't know and don't want to know, for fear the truth would taint my hobby (even though it's more than that). I've been involved in several fandoms/ hobby groups over the years and it's truly sad when it degenerates to this kind of point. Bottom line is, it's fountain pens. We all have our own opinions and preferences but they aren't the kind of thing that will cure cancer or solve the Middle East crisis. The only hobby/"fan" groups I can think of that don't eventually sucumb to this stuff are my cross stitch groups and that's only because we're too busy stabbing ourselves with our needles and blinding ourselves with impossibly small fabric to bitch at each other. I am glad to see the support everyone is giving each other here and I'll continue to support InCoWriMo and the forums. I just don't know that I want to know the truth since I'm friends with both Eric and Dan and am not an objective third party.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jfsisler For This Useful Post:

inlovewithjournals (March 9th, 2015)

Thanks

I am not a forum type person. This is the only forum I'm addicted to. I am a member of another group and had to go to it yesterday to feed my addiction and left because it 'didn't fit' my addiction. As far as the fp geeks site, I never look at it, it may be good or not but I didn't find a need to visit it appears that this was a source of the issues in some form. Like other members have said in previous posts, there is sort of a family here and is a comfortable place to hang around in. I hope the family can stay together and continue as a family.

Thanks

I'm totally with you. If it wasn't for this forum, I'd know absolutely nobody who understands my love of fountain pens. Nobody. Let's not let whatever's going on keep us from shairng this love with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I am not a forum type person. This is the only forum I'm addicted to. I am a member of another group and had to go to it yesterday to feed my addiction and left because it 'didn't fit' my addiction. As far as the fp geeks site, I never look at it, it may be good or not but I didn't find a need to visit it appears that this was a source of the issues in some form. Like other members have said in previous posts, there is sort of a family here and is a comfortable place to hang around in. I hope the family can stay together and continue as a family.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jfsisler For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (March 6th, 2015), Hawk (March 6th, 2015), inlovewithjournals (March 9th, 2015), Potter (March 6th, 2015), Xina (March 7th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Here here
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

This is Tim Hofmann in case you don't all know my handle. I've been contributing to FPG for almost 3 years.

I am so utterly disgusted I won't hold my tongue any more.

The idea that Eric couldn't see or know what specific changes Dan was making and 'came home' surprised is horseshit. The lordy 'ethics' fingerpointing is a red herring, and disingenuous to boot. Those kinds of concerns should be handled with discussion, not the unilateral action we saw yesterday. There was no discussion.

The idea of Eric waltzing back in and giving us all a "Time Out' is so infuriatingly condescending. All this without a word to anyone (save the Andersons) prior, or the courage to put his name on the announcement.

The fact that we're getting relevant information from Brian Anderson and not Eric or Dan is slimy.

The idea that Eric Schneider is the sole owner of FPG may be technically true. The idea that that justifies yesterday's rug-pulling and back-stabbing is morally bankrupt.

Shame on you Eric Schneider.
    Shame on you Brian Anderson.

Not for your backroom business dealings. Who cares?

Shame on you for your repulsive treatment of a good human being who's been struggling, struggling to do his best in the middle of uncertainty for two years.

What's happened here is revolting. I bet I know what happens next too.

Hey, see you all at the Baltimore show!

28. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

antirealist (March 20th, 2015), belacqua (March 8th, 2015), Crazyorange (March 6th, 2015), dr.grace (March 14th, 2015), ethernautrix (March 6th, 2015), jim112357 (March 6th, 2015), Nonie (March 6th, 2015), picautomaton (March 6th, 2015), reprieve (March 6th, 2015), Susan3141 (March 6th, 2015), tandaina (March 6th, 2015), Thecla (March 6th, 2015), Tony Rex (March 6th, 2015), Wile E Coyote (March 6th, 2015), youstruckgold (March 7th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    This is Tim Hofmann in case you don't all know my handle. I've been contributing to FPG for almost 3 years.

I am so utterly disgusted I won't hold my tongue any more.

The idea that Eric couldn't see or know what specific changes Dan was making and 'came home' surprised is horseshit. The lordy 'ethics' fingerpointing is a red herring, and disingenuous to boot. Those kinds of concerns should be handled with discussion, not the unilateral action we saw yesterday. There was no discussion.

The idea of Eric waltzing back in and giving us all a "Time Out' is so infuriatingly condescending. All this without a word to anyone (save the Andersons) prior, or the courage to put his name on the announcement.

The fact that we're getting relevant information from Brian Anderson and not Eric or Dan is slimy.

The idea that Eric Schneider is the sole owner of FPG may be technically true. The idea that that justifies yesterday's rug-pulling and back-stabbing is morally bankrupt.

Shame on you Eric Schneider.
    Shame on you Brian Anderson.

Not for your backroom business dealings. Who cares?

Shame on you for your repulsive treatment of a good human being who's been struggling, struggling to do his best in the middle of uncertainty for two years.

What's happened here is revolting. I bet I know what happens next too.

Hey, see you all at the Baltimore show!
    I figured this was on both forums. Cmon...lets not throw gas on the fire right now. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with your statements. I do not know. We just do not need this inflammatory posting, we need thinking and calm. I really do not want this disappearing again. Can we step back and wait to see if cooler heads prevail and work things out for the future then? Please? I do appreciate your passion, I think this all means a lot to you. It does to me also and I have not had the time to enjoy it and depend on it as you have. How can you help, how can I help?
    Last edited by sharmon202; March 6th, 2015 at 12:28 PM.
    Sandy

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sharmon202 For This Useful Post:

ChrisC (March 6th, 2015), deanosupremo (March 6th, 2015), elaineb (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

I figured this was on both forums.
    Not anymore, BTW. So it goes...
    Last edited by mhosea; March 6th, 2015 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Remove "And" to correct Slaughterhouse Five reference.
    --
    Mike

32. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

sharmon202 (March 6th, 2015)