Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypocrisy

Thanks

Default Hypocrisy

If Dan is involved in these wonderfully ethical new standards one would also assume that FP Geeks will no longer shamelessly promote his nib services which I am sure are not being offered for altruistic reasons. What a facade this "time out is"!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Default Re: Hypocrisy

I fail to see how the word "hypocrisy" could be rationally applied to either party in this disagreement, at least as I understand it with the limited information that I have available. The "new" ethics are the current ones. Some restrictions of the original ethics were apparently removed at some time in the past. My understanding is that it is Eric, not Dan, who wishes to restore the ethics to their previous, stronger form, and Eric, not Dan, who imposed the time-out.
    Last edited by mhosea; March 6th, 2015 at 11:43 AM. Reason: clarify the wording
    --
    Mike

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Special K (March 10th, 2015), welch (March 9th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    I fail to see how the word "hypocrisy" could be rationally applied to either party in this disagreement, at least as I understand it with the limited information that I have available. The "new" ethics are the current ones with some restrictions of the original ethics removed. My understanding is that it is Eric, not Dan, who wishes to restore the ethics to their previous, stronger form, and Eric, not Dan, who imposed the time-out.
    I support Eric's initiative. But Dan has to accept responsibility for allowing himself to succumb to his self-promotion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Drow For This Useful Post:

Special K (March 10th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

What Mike said. Above everything else, until and unless the details of what has happened in the last 24 hours, and a more clear telling of just how this site is being run, and by who, any comments made, especially attributing negatives to actions one cannot pinpoint, are... less than helpful.

Yeah. I did major in Run-on Sentences in college.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

elaineb (March 6th, 2015), ilangai (March 5th, 2015), inlovewithjournals (March 11th, 2015), Jeph (March 6th, 2015), pajhurley (March 6th, 2015), penultress (March 6th, 2015), Scrawler (March 6th, 2015), Sketchy (March 9th, 2015), View from the Loft (March 7th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drow View Post
    I support Eric's initiative. But Dan has to accept responsibility for allowing himself to succumb to his self-promotion.
    Are there not other repair people who mention their services here? Do people also not recommend and promote members of the pen world who offer various work to be done? Does overseeing the running of the board disallow him to speak about his nib and restoration services?

More to the point, why mention it now? I've not seen anyone complain before. I see no ads on the site, and other than showing the work he does, any "self-promotion" has been pretty benign.

I don't know, just hasn't affected me, but this place is always open for discussion, so if it was an issue, I never saw it brought up.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Annie (March 6th, 2015), ChrisC (March 6th, 2015), Cob (March 6th, 2015), Dreck (March 6th, 2015), elaineb (March 6th, 2015), fountainpenkid (March 6th, 2015), Hawk (March 6th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (March 6th, 2015), Nonie (March 6th, 2015), rgperedo (March 16th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (March 6th, 2015), Scrawler (March 6th, 2015), Sketchy (March 9th, 2015), TMac (March 6th, 2015), View from the Loft (March 7th, 2015), welch (March 9th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    What Mike said. Above everything else, until and unless the details of what has happened in the last 24 hours, and a more clear telling of just how this site is being run, and by who, any comments made, especially attributing negatives to actions one cannot pinpoint, are... less than helpful.

Fair comments. I guess I am just venting at having recently discovered the nib services on the site which I felt were inappropriate. I will be quiet until we know more

Thanks

Fair comments. I guess I am just venting at having recently discovered the nib services on the site which I felt were inappropriate. I will be quiet until we know more
    No worries. I'm just trying to urge patience, in my comments here and on other sites, until things are a little more transparent. Drama can snowball pretty fast, and there will be plenty of time to open up these issues when we are certain this home is in place. Hope I didn't seem to come down too hard.

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (March 6th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (March 6th, 2015), writingrav (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Perhaps we can flush out some more information by promoting misinformation. I'll start. It is all but certain at this point that Dan and Eric have been involved in a disastrous love triangle.
    --
    Mike

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Annie (March 6th, 2015), dr.grace (March 14th, 2015), Dreck (March 6th, 2015), elaineb (March 6th, 2015), Holsworth (March 7th, 2015), jbb (March 7th, 2015), kaisnowbird (April 4th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (March 6th, 2015), sharmon202 (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Perhaps we can flush out some more information by promoting misinformation. I'll start. It is all but certain at this point that Dan and Eric have been involved in a disastrous love triangle.
    how do you get coffee out of a monitor - my lol made a mess!
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cwent2 For This Useful Post:

jbb (March 7th, 2015), mhosea (March 6th, 2015)

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

Promotion of calm and humor then discussion if needed. Only one of the reasons I live here with you all. Thanks to you all for being here.
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

I'm curious as to what you found inappropriate about a moderator on a fountain pen site offering nib grinding services? Unless you're someone who is a lot more active on the board hiding behind a different name it doesn't appear that you have been on the site enough to have one opinion or another about it other than mere observation.

Do you offer your own nib services and feel its an unfair advantage?

Do you feel the same way about the posters who put up images of the pens they've turned and the sellers who post images of their pens?

Or do you feel there is some violation of ethics in a person who moderates a site posting their own work on that site?

As to your first post do you feel someone should offer their work for free just out of hopes we have pens that write as we want? If that's the case then your issue should be directed at the world not necessarily one person.

To be fair I don't know Dan except from posts I've read and one or two message exchanges that were very short, so I can't say if hypocrisy is involved in how he does things, I just am curious for a bit more clarification in your statements given the way they were posted.
    My Pinterest Feel free to add me on Facebook as well.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Quantum Sailor For This Useful Post:

Dreck (March 6th, 2015), Neo (March 6th, 2015), rgperedo (March 16th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Not exactly. As I posted elsewhere, the FPGeeks forum was used to pass messages between the field operatives and the central office. Dan is not just a guy in a John Deere hat and Iowa t-shirt. Like wise, Eric was not hanging out South of the boarder deep sea fishing and working on his lovely tan. When the means by which the messages were passed was decoded there was no point in using the system because the other team was able to read the correspondence.

I really can't say more or the team I'm on will put me on the bench.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

elaineb (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Not exactly. As I posted elsewhere, the FPGeeks forum was used to pass messages between the field operatives and the central office. Dan is not just a guy in a John Deere hat and Iowa t-shirt. Like wise, Eric was not hanging out South of the boarder deep sea fishing and working on his lovely tan. When the means by which the messages were passed was decoded there was no point in using the system because the other team was able to read the correspondence.

My issue is with the proposed ethical standards that have been posted and how they are inconsistent with someone -moderator or not - promoting an aspect of the site within high- level navigation from which he promotes his own products. If he wants to do that, then fine. Just don't parade some sort of ethical doctrine in the meantime that contradicts that approach. And no, I sm not an active poster but I am an interested reader.

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

My issue is with the proposed ethical standards that have been posted and how they are inconsistent with someone -moderator or not - promoting an aspect of the site within high- level navigation from which he promotes his own products. If he wants to do that, then fine. Just don't parade some sort of ethical doctrine in the meantime that contradicts that approach. And no, I sm not an active poster but I am an interested reader.
    So how do we have a forum as this is and not allow it to become a primarily sales tool for anyone, moderator or not. I would not enjoy this if it was taken over and sales driven. Where is the line and how to walk it? Decide how to do this then write the ethic/purpose statement? So people making decisions on posts can or cannot also participate? Just because they participate they cannot be objective? Food for thought I guess. Thanks for moving to contribute, Drow.
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Read the ethical standards again. The OLD standards would have had a problem with the moderator/owner selling items or providing services. But those items (outlined in red on the main page) are *no longer* in the ethical standards. The *current* standards move FPGeeks in a more commercial direction. What isn't clear to me is if the Current standard is how it will stay, or if Eric didn't like that change and wants to go back. Who the *heck* knows. (And I honestly don't give a crap so long as the *forums* stay as they are and up.) I'd be very happy to see the forum part ways with the main FPGeeks website and just let this community run itself.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

25. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Annie (March 6th, 2015), ChrisC (March 6th, 2015), elaineb (March 6th, 2015), Hawk (March 6th, 2015), inlovewithjournals (March 11th, 2015), Mesu (March 7th, 2015), mustud52 (March 6th, 2015), Potter (March 6th, 2015), Sketchy (March 9th, 2015)

Thanks

Last night I misread that as "or the team I'm on will put me on the beach." That sounded more ominous somehow.
    Last edited by mhosea; March 6th, 2015 at 07:54 PM.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

My take on what happened.

Eric disappeared for a long time.
    Dan decided he wanted to change somethings in the site that required a "tweaking" of the ethics statement, and went ahead without counting on Eric.
    Eric was upset when he came back ("important ethical standards have simply been removed unilaterally when their presence became inconvenient") and unilaterally "called a timeout".

Dan played hard and fast with what was also Eric's baby, and Eric took his bat home. Nothing that shouldn't sort itself out once adults behave like adults. The Andersons are thankfully mediating, once again proving themselves invaluable to the pen community.

Once this gets sorted it'll be nice to see more of Eric.
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks

Part of the confusion in all of this, confusion which I am mighty interested in getting cleared up, is that there are at least TWO people involved in these issue: one is Dan, who has been running things and is the one who does the pen work (and has raised some issues with you because of that), and the second is Eric, who is the one who (apparently) issued forth the new ethical guidelines. I am unclear as to how much coordination is going on between the two, so one hope it becomes settled, but that may explain some of the contradiction.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Eric co-wrote the OLD ethical guidelines -- the ones that said "WE DO NOT SELL PENS", I remember that being there.

Once Dan wanted to sell pens, those sections were removed.
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to snedwos For This Useful Post:

Special K (March 10th, 2015)

Thanks

Essentially, what people seem to be confused about is which are the old guidelines, and which the new. The old ones are the ones with the red text on the main page, which didn't allow sales.