Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystery Ink No. 5

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Default Mystery Ink No. 5

Ink fans, when the going gets tough, the tough need some new ink. So, klpeabody and I are starting another round of Mystery Ink.

This will be Round 5, or MI5. Dedicated to all those who wonder what’s so funny ‘bout peace, love and understanding. Elvis Costello version, of course.

We are looking for five or six volunteers who would be willing to try an unknown ink and post their impressions here, without posting any guesses about the ink’s identity. We think it's fun to try an ink without any preconceptions, or even a clue as to what it might be.

MI5 has a few little wrinkles. First, this is an ink that I received as a gift to the MI community, and it leaked a bit during shipping, so samples will be about 2 ml each. I will reveal the name of the donor when I reveal the name of the ink, so as not to feed the frenzy of speculation about the ink’s identity. Second, although we usually say nothing about the ink before seeking volunteers, I am going to make an exception for MI5. If you don’t like cheery and bright inks, this one probably would be wasted on you, and you might prefer waiting for a future MI while this one goes to those who might better appreciate it.

As always, the identity of the ink will not be revealed until every last recipient has received his or her ink and had a chance to try it without knowing its identity. That means if you finish early or like things right away, you may have to wait a bit to find out the ink’s name. That may seem like a bummer. But, turn it around and think of it as “taking one for the team.” You are doing a good deed. We are family. This is the peace, love and understanding edition of MI, after all.

So if you’d like to throw your inky hat in the ring, please post here and let us know why you’d like to get MI5. And if it’s not in your profile, please tell us where you live (just the state or country). That helps us pick a diverse slate of participants and figure out mailing times.

Please volunteer only if you have time to use or test the ink right away, and if you are willing to post in the thread about your impressions. We are looking for people who are enthusiastic about ink, and about posting. People who've done it before are welcome again, as are people who are new to the exercise. Everyone is welcome in MI.

More details can be found in the threads "Mystery Ink Sample,” "Mystery Ink No. 3” or “Mystery Ink No. 4.”

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Cob (March 6th, 2015), jde (March 7th, 2015), klpeabody (March 7th, 2015), Neo (March 6th, 2015), reprieve (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Default Re: Mystery Ink No. 5

I'm in..
    ✖ Ilan Gai ✒ An Addict ✖

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ilangai View Post
    I'm in..
    Great, and you live in Israel from your profile, which is neat. Can you just "please post here and let us know why you’d like to get MI5." Thank you!

We randomly select participants. However, we'd like to know a little something about why folks want to do MI5 because (i) it's fun to learn about others, (ii) we like to find out why MI appeals and (iii) basically I'm easily bored and love shiny new posts.

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

I love the theme of this one. A bright new ink can do wonders for the spirit, especially in times like these.

I won't toss my name into the hat this time as I've been lucky enough to participate twice already and I'd love to see some new converts to the Mystery Ink Madness. Hey, geeks, this is loads of fun! I promise. Join up!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

jde (March 7th, 2015), Laura N (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Well.. i like the idea of not knowing the ink, and even (from your description) the fact it is cheery and bright.
    As one who mostly use "conventional" ink colours, this could be interseting.

And i could not pass the MI5 theme!
    ✖ Ilan Gai ✒ An Addict ✖

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ilangai For This Useful Post:

Laura N (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

PleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasePLEEEZ?

Because....three feet of snow....*sobs quietly*
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Me too!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to alc3261 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Be careful, folks...

mi5.jpg
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Cob (March 6th, 2015), Crazyorange (March 6th, 2015), klpeabody (March 7th, 2015), Laura N (March 6th, 2015), Potter (March 6th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (March 7th, 2015), Xina (March 21st, 2015)

Thanks

And worse: MI6 is next. Spycatcher!

Land of OZ (Kansas), apjohnson1121@yahoo.com
    Thanks

Default Mystery Ink No. 5

Please add me to the list!

I am very new to the FP world and love it so far! I don't know exactly what I do and don't like for certain as I've only tried 4 inks thus far including Noodlers 54th Mass, Noodlers Widow Maker, Noodlers Libertys Elysium and Waterman Absolute Brown. So far I very much like all of these but I am wanting to expand my palate. A bright cheery color would be great to expand my FP experience!
    Last edited by Alec_J; March 6th, 2015 at 04:41 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Alec_J For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Enjoy. I shall follow this with interest. A bright and cheery ink, you say? How appropriate.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mustud52 For This Useful Post:

Laura N (March 7th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Well I've had plenty of turns, and as I favour dark, mysterious and depressing colours I will of course pass this time - leave the cheery inks to the cheerful ones I say and leave the grumpy old miseries to cry into their beer I mean ink - how do you do that crossing-out thing eh?

As as for why I like to take part, it is because the whole thing has been fascinating and for a tyro like me educational too.

Thanks Laura,

Cob

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

I'm interest, but if a new person wants to jump in...I'll pass.

Bright inks are needed to go with my bright pens. I don't own one black pen. When you do a black ink MI, I will definitely pass. Classic is not my gig. In 50 years when someone looks at my pens....they will say "colors scream 2015".

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Oh heck. I'm in!

Now - how to persuade Laura............?

Well, I know I've done two MIs already but I've just moved to Australia from the UK, and have been here for precisely 3 days. A bright, cheerful ink would match beautifully the bright & cheerful weather here! It's 24C and I'm sitting drinking coffee outside in the SUN (sorry, my friends in cold, snow-bound US), and a bit of ink-testing would be F.U.N. And is about as strenuous & hard-working as I plan to get for the next 6 months!

Hmmm - well I guess all you northern hemisphere folks with full-time jobs now hate me with a vengeance...... ;-)

migo

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Cob (March 7th, 2015), Laura N (March 7th, 2015), Neo (March 7th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    Oh heck. I'm in!

Well, I know I've done two MIs already but I've just moved to Australia from the UK, and have been here for precisely 3 days. A bright, cheerful ink would match beautifully the bright & cheerful weather here! It's 24C and I'm sitting drinking coffee outside in the SUN (sorry, my friends in cold, snow-bound US), and a bit of ink-testing would be F.U.N. And is about as strenuous & hard-working as I plan to get for the next 6 months!

Hmmm - well I guess all you northern hemisphere folks with full-time jobs now hate me with a vengeance...... ;-)

migo
    Welcome to Aussie, migo. The land where the sun shines pleasantly and the ink flows benignly (except, perhaps, in my bloody Conway Stewart). Enjoy Queenscliff.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    Oh heck. I'm in!

migo
    Humph! I need to send you some snow. I have plenty to share. Let me guess....the roads are in good condition there. We have pot hole that eat cars. I can send you one of those too

Enjoy. Send me warm thoughts. I'll be mailing you a letter on Monday.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

klpeabody (March 7th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Please can I add my name to the list for this one. I would love to try a bright and cheery ink, now that spring is here, and, of course, the fact that it's MI5 has a certain appeal in the UK.

I would like to be sitting in high temperatures drinking my glass of champagne in the sunshine. Oh wait a moment...I am

Thank you for doing this.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 7th, 2015 at 05:01 AM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It must be good weather everywhere. Because it is 43 balmy degrees Fahrenheit (6 Celcius) here, the sun is out, and the four feet of ice and snow is starting to melt. I think it's the first time we've breached 17 degrees in weeks. I can wash the dirty, salty car!!!!!

Alright, MI5-ers, I think we have seven volunteers at this point. Unless I can't count due to spring fever. Anyone else? We love people to try this; don't hang back if you are interested. Throw your hat in the ring. If there are more volunteers than spots, I use random.org to make a list, so all have the same chance. I'll give it a little more time.

Thanks

I'm so glad that amidst the present forum drama, there is still Mystery Ink to look forward to. Thanks Laura for getting this going, being that I was lined up to handle this round and then was recently sidelined due to work obligations. I look forward to participating in this round, however, as a mystery ink sampler and look forward to being surprised once again. I look forward to this mystery ink, and enjoying it alongside the die-hards, as well as the new participants.

We have nice weather here today too. Sunshine feels good! Laura, I had to laugh at your reference to your dirty car. My car is salty mess. The last few weeks have been filled with seemingly never-ending snow, and low temps. My car has needed a wash - badly - but, I haven't taken it fearing my locks would freeze. I need spring!!
    Beware of oblique conclusions.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to klpeabody For This Useful Post:

jde (March 7th, 2015), Laura N (March 7th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (March 7th, 2015)

Thanks

Don't forget to rinse the bottom of the car also, that salt solution is not good for brake lines.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Neo For This Useful Post:

klpeabody (March 7th, 2015)