Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Future of the FP Geeks Forum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Future of the FP Geeks Forum

Quote Originally Posted by eriquito View Post
    My thinking is in line with that of jfsisler - no one wants to know the truth. Knowing would only cause people to form opinions, make judgements, and take sides. I don't want that. All I've ever wanted is a fun place on-line where we could all happily geek out over fountain pens while waiting to attend the next pen show. I don't believe that's asking too much and I know it can be accomplished.

I currently have no idea what direction the main fpgeeks.com website might go. What I do know is that if it comes back, it will once again be decidedly non-commercial.

As to the forum itself... I'll say this:

The FPGeeks Forum belongs to the community.

FPGeeks, the name, has been plural from the beginning and that was no accident. I have always thought of all of us as being FPGeeks.

It was not my intention to bring down the forum yesterday. It was an oversight and I corrected the grievous error just as soon as I was at a computer keyboard.

I humbly and sincerely apologize.

And now... to the future.

writingrav suggested a sort of board of directors, made up of forum members, that control the board itself. I support and welcome this suggestion - or anything similar that would ensure I never again lose my mind and block access to the forum.

If there is true interest in this idea, please, someone start a new thread and we can all discuss it there - out in the open and with complete transparency.

Some have suggested financial trouble might have played a roll in the FPGeeks time out. It is not financial trouble. At least, not in the way you would think. I believe I have disabled the donation button in the forum. If that is not the case, please do not use the button. I did not put the button there and I'll have to figure out how to remove it.

The only other item I would like address at this time is Tim Hofmann's beautifully disturbing diatribe. It's based on partial knowledge and much ignorance, but I will say this: I know Tim - and he would have been perfectly happy saying all of that to my face. For that, I salute him. Heck, I'd even hug him if I were at the Baltimore Pen Show. He's a good guy.

Thank you all very much for your kind attention.

I have the pleasure to remain,
    yours truly,

Eric Schneider
    Taking Eric's suggestion to start a new thread for interested members to discuss the future of this community.

IMHO, any disagreements between Eric and Dan should be resolved by them and if they do not wish to share their private issues, it is their right. Of course, if they do choose to share once a resolution has been reached, that would be very much appreciated.

If there is no one with enough time to take over the responsibility of the forum is found, perhaps we can have each sub-forum managed by a specific member if there are enough volunteers to take this approach.

However, I for one would prefer for Dan and Eric to work out their differences and for things on the forum to continue as they were. That is my best case scenario.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Neo For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

akapulko2020 (March 8th, 2015), BikerBabe (March 28th, 2015), checkrail (March 7th, 2015), Cob (March 7th, 2015), Hawk (March 6th, 2015), jde (March 7th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (March 6th, 2015), Morgaine (March 7th, 2015), penultress (March 6th, 2015), raibtoffoletto (March 18th, 2015), reprieve (March 6th, 2015), sgtstretch (March 6th, 2015), tandaina (March 6th, 2015), TerraNoir (March 6th, 2015), View from the Loft (March 7th, 2015), Woody (March 12th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Default Re: Future of the FP Geeks Forum

For me too. Dan did an excellent job with the forum and I would like to see the forum to remain as it was.

For the site? Honestly it wasn't all that useful recently, mostly new of pens I couldn't afford. I would love to see more contributors give reviews of a better range of pens, and cover things that aren't reviews. How tos perhaps.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Aleks (March 11th, 2015), cwent2 (March 6th, 2015), elaineb (March 6th, 2015), fountainpenkid (March 6th, 2015), fpquest (March 6th, 2015), Jon Szanto (March 7th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (March 6th, 2015), Mesu (March 9th, 2015), Neo (March 6th, 2015), reprieve (March 6th, 2015), TerraNoir (March 6th, 2015), Xina (March 8th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    For me too. Dan did an excellent job with the forum and I would like to see the forum to remain as it was.

For the site? Honestly it wasn't all that useful recently, mostly new of pens I couldn't afford. I would love to see more contributors give reviews of a better range of pens, and cover things that aren't reviews. How tos perhaps.
    Yes. The content was becoming mostly just alerts of releases that people already knew about; 'very fluffy', as some have put it. I think a new FPGeeks should focus on publishing interesting articles, not surface news content plagued with ridiculous manufacturer promotional 'information.' I would love to see some how tos (Dan's vintage Aurora 88 teardown is an amazing resource and he should do more of that sort of thing!), as well as more guest writers--experts in the field. Vintage pens were very underrepresented at late (other than Dan's helpful notifications about Gary Lehrer's catalog updates), so I think perhaps having a member of the team more focused on them would be great.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

elaineb (March 7th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks

More of what SBRE Brown did with the Ink Encyclopedia - Brian Grays segment on nib tuning on the pod cast Etc?
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cwent2 For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (March 6th, 2015), inlovewithjournals (March 9th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (March 6th, 2015), Xina (March 8th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cwent2 View Post
    More of what SBRE Brown did with the Ink Encyclopedia - Brian Grays segment on nib tuning on the pod cast Etc?
    Yes. The Inkcyclopedia was very fun! If something like it emerges in the future, however, I think the content should be a bit more condensed...not to the point of modern tech reviews (3 min of annoyingly read script supplemented with useless shots of the product), but to something less than 25 minutes.
    Will

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

From my perspective, I think Dan is an admirable administrator of the FPG Forum, and by far the most open, responsive and fair of any forum I've belonged to. I have personally experienced, in that other place, the negative & corrosive effect of over-moderation, content control & lack of transparency caused by vesting power in cliques & unchallengeable admin & moderators, & would hate to end up with a governance structure here that could result in something similar happening.

FPG, whilst not being perfect, treats its members as grown-ups, capable of moderating & policing themselves, and this aspect, and the resulting culture & ethos of this forum, is admirable. Long may it continue.

11. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (March 8th, 2015), Bogon07 (March 7th, 2015), checkrail (March 7th, 2015), chojo (March 8th, 2015), Crazyorange (March 6th, 2015), cwent2 (March 6th, 2015), elaineb (March 7th, 2015), fountainpenkid (March 6th, 2015), Jon Szanto (March 7th, 2015), mustud52 (March 7th, 2015), Neo (March 6th, 2015), Potter (March 7th, 2015), reprieve (March 6th, 2015), sharmon202 (March 7th, 2015), TerraNoir (March 6th, 2015), View from the Loft (March 7th, 2015), youstruckgold (March 8th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    From my perspective, I think Dan is an admirable administrator of the FPG Forum, and by far the most open, responsive and fair of any forum I've belonged to. I have personally experienced, in that other place, the negative & corrosive effect of over-moderation, content control & lack of transparency caused by vesting power in cliques & unchallengeable admin & moderators, & would hate to end up with a governance structure here that could result in something similar happening.

FPG, whilst not being perfect, treats its members as grown-ups, capable of moderating & policing themselves, and this aspect, and the resulting culture & ethos of this forum, is admirable. Long may it continue.
    I, likewise, echo the fear of a governance structure that would result in a forum much like the others I have found. I have seriously walked away from hobbies because of it. Since not only did it affect the community, but the companies that produced the products. I am sitting cleanly on the fence about most of this. I just hope that the forum remains the same and that its just the actual site that gets "adjusted" to follow the ethics statement. Perhaps more contributors or authors can write various items. Since I know there are many here who could offer such valuable information.

I, personally, found the "promotional" information that was posted and found it useful. Would I have liked to see other "lower end" products reviewed as well. Sure. But if that isn't something he is interested in. Then... Can't make it happen. That is why I think that perhaps those who wish to contribute a review or news should be able to do so.

Thanks

[QUOTE=TerraNoir;118855]

I, likewise, echo the fear of a governance structure that would result in a forum much like the others I have found. I have seriously walked away from hobbies because of it.
    I am very new here and conscious of possibly commenting beyond what I have earned the right to do, however the above post struck a chord with me.

Thanks

[QUOTE=mustud52;118886]
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraNoir View Post

I, likewise, echo the fear of a governance structure that would result in a forum much like the others I have found. I have seriously walked away from hobbies because of it.
    I am very new here and conscious of possibly commenting beyond what I have earned the right to do, however the above post struck a chord with me.
    Well this is just my opinion of course. The forum I was on there was seven moderators, that were called the Mag Seven. When they fought, EVERYONE felt it. When you made one of them mad, you got hit with it. If you tried to plead to the other six... That just made things worse. Not to mention that they were way more catty about things than a really bad reality TV show. Should. Governing body be established here, my hopes is those individuals work EXTREMELY well together. Especially since there is no idea of what really happened here. I can only express my hopes for this forum since I have enjoyed my time here. I have censored some posts here in fear of being biased.

Furthermore, the reason why I walked away from the hobbies aforementioned is because they were quite niche. The companies that produced the actual products suffered from the drama of the Mag Seven and others. Since they were directly involved in organizing the shows for them. So prices went up, and not due to the economy. Just because people, like myself, got so frustrated with the community, just stopped buying.

I will always buy pens, ink, and paper from now on. My love shall be quite unwavering. I'm just a touch nervous about it. Hopefully in the coming days more news will come out.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

I find the pen, ink, and paper reviews at FPN more helpful because there are more reviewers. But I do look here, too. Some of Dan's video reviews are really well done (but those aren't in the forum). I don't really like the swearing and vulgarity here. If you want heaps of product reviews, look elsewhere. But I do check here, too, in a supplementary fashion. And I, too, miss Inkcyclopedia.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Christina (March 7th, 2015), Special K (March 9th, 2015)

Thanks

I think we don't realise what we've got until its gone and this week was a bit of a 'wake up call', I for one have really enjoyed my time here and look forward to viewing the comments every day. I suspect we also get very comfortable with what we've got and don't want change, I for one would not wish to change anything, but I did not realise how much work goes on behind the scenes. I would not relish a more structured approach such as that on another pen forum...

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Potter For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (March 7th, 2015), Neo (March 7th, 2015), sharmon202 (March 7th, 2015)

Thanks

Jeez Louise, I know this didn't happen because I had to take an extended time away from the online world. I mean, I ain't God/Goddess, right? Or did someone forget to tell me? So much chaos, stress, and drama going on!

This particular thread one seems to be going for something constructive, and thank you to Neo for that. I hope others, too, prior to now took time to email their thoughts to that future email thingie that was on the front page. (Believe that's gone now.)

I don't believe I've time to run a forum or sub-forum. Yet somehow I have an opinion: that the forum might be spun off to be a separate entity if those of us here don't frequent the "main" page. I suppose a poll or survey could be conducted perhaps via email to forum users.

I wish both Eric and Dan well. Neither of them has harmed me, even if the forum went down temporarily. I appreciate Eric's apology, and his humor in suggesting he temporarily lost his mind. He did write, "the forum belongs to the community." Wow. Thank you! What a responsibility for all of us.

I thought Dan was unusually wise when fistfights broke out among us. I've no need to bash either of them. I know nothing of what is really transpiring between them.

I left FPN along with others of you who are here now. I left because of a lack of transparency concerning the changes, the commercialization of the site, and the bullying of moderators towards some very gentle users who I consider pen pals in the truest sense. And so, I may be in the minority among some of you now, that I still prefer a transparency about how a site is run, a non-commerical site (which is not the same as our meager classified section), and non-bullying moderators. That kind of forum, I do my best to contribute and participate in as I've done thus far.

The online pen community has a history of ups and downs. Forums dying, or arguing into new ones... la-la-la-life goes on.

We here at the forum of FPGeeks are a small, mostly enjoyable tribe, and I hope we find a way to continue and thrive.

Peace out,
    Julie

20. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to jde For This Useful Post:

chojo (March 8th, 2015), Crazyorange (March 7th, 2015), cwent2 (March 7th, 2015), elaineb (March 7th, 2015), Emma (March 7th, 2015), fountainpenkid (March 7th, 2015), ilangai (March 7th, 2015), iosepus (May 18th, 2015), Jon Szanto (March 7th, 2015), klpeabody (March 8th, 2015), Mags (March 7th, 2015), Marsilius (March 7th, 2015), mtnbiker62 (March 7th, 2015), Neo (March 7th, 2015), reprieve (March 7th, 2015), sharmon202 (March 7th, 2015), TerraNoir (March 7th, 2015), View from the Loft (March 9th, 2015), Xina (March 8th, 2015), youstruckgold (March 8th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Julie, that is a very eloquent post, thank you. About one thing:

Quote Originally Posted by jde View Post
    And so, I may be in the minority among some of you now, that I still prefer a transparency about how a site is run, a non-commerical site (which is not the same as our meager classified section), and non-bullying moderators. That kind of forum, I do my best to contribute and participate in as I've done thus far.
    Don't be quick to consider yourself part of a minority - I know that I feel precisely the same as you. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to find many others think similarly.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

elaineb (March 7th, 2015), Emma (March 7th, 2015), fountainpenkid (March 7th, 2015), ilangai (March 7th, 2015), iosepus (May 18th, 2015), jde (March 7th, 2015), Marsilius (March 7th, 2015), Neo (March 7th, 2015), View from the Loft (March 9th, 2015)

Thanks

Jeez Louise, I know this didn't happen because I had to take an extended time away from the online world. I mean, I ain't God/Goddess, right? Or did someone forget to tell me? So much chaos, stress, and drama going on!

This particular thread one seems to be going for something constructive, and thank you to Neo for that. I hope others, too, prior to now took time to email their thoughts to that future email thingie that was on the front page. (Believe that's gone now.)

I don't believe I've time to run a forum or sub-forum. Yet somehow I have an opinion: that the forum might be spun off to be a separate entity if those of us here don't frequent the "main" page. I suppose a poll or survey could be conducted perhaps via email to forum users.

I wish both Eric and Dan well. Neither of them has harmed me, even if the forum went down temporarily. I appreciate Eric's apology, and his humor in suggesting he temporarily lost his mind. He did write, "the forum belongs to the community." Wow. Thank you! What a responsibility for all of us.

I thought Dan was unusually wise when fistfights broke out among us. I've no need to bash either of them. I know nothing of what is really transpiring between them.

I left FPN along with others of you who are here now. I left because of a lack of transparency concerning the changes, the commercialization of the site, and the bullying of moderators towards some very gentle users who I consider pen pals in the truest sense. And so, I may be in the minority among some of you now, that I still prefer a transparency about how a site is run, a non-commerical site (which is not the same as our meager classified section), and non-bullying moderators. That kind of forum, I do my best to contribute and participate in as I've done thus far.

The online pen community has a history of ups and downs. Forums dying, or arguing into new ones... la-la-la-life goes on.

We here at the forum of FPGeeks are a small, mostly enjoyable tribe, and I hope we find a way to continue and thrive.

Peace out,
    Julie
    Agree entirely!!

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

I may be in the minority among some of you now, that I still prefer a transparency about how a site is run, a non-commerical site (which is not the same as our meager classified section), and non-bullying moderators. That kind of forum, I do my best to contribute and participate in as I've done thus far.
    Julie is a voice of reason and clarity once again.

I do note, though, that there has been little to no transparency about how this site is now being run or even about who is in charge here. I don't care about the dirty laundry and the personal disputes--I don't mean that all of the drama should be made public--but rather that Eric, or whoever is now in charge, should make some statement about his intentions regarding the future of this forum, especially, and perhaps even the main site (which I do view, as I've said in other posts, and I realize I might be mistaken in my view, as completely separate entities). Why has Dan been stripped of his moderator status at this forum? Will he be reinstated, or has he been permanently exiled? Will Eric take over Dan's moderating duties, and, if so, will he allow us the same freedoms and will he be capable of exercising the same sort of self-restraint? Will he now be a reliable presence, or might he vanish into thin air once again? I hope that the past couple of days are no indication of the future: the heavy handedness and quick temper that led to a sudden shut down of the forum, without any warning whatsoever, is a bad omen. It has led me to lose trust in this place. I no longer see this forum as a haven but as a fickle friend. It may or may not be here tomorrow, and I--or any other member here--may or may not wake up one day to find that she is on the outside looking in.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

amk (March 8th, 2015), chojo (March 8th, 2015), Flounder (March 10th, 2015), klpeabody (March 8th, 2015), orfew (March 10th, 2015), tandaina (March 8th, 2015), TerraNoir (March 8th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    I may be in the minority among some of you now, that I still prefer a transparency about how a site is run, a non-commerical site (which is not the same as our meager classified section), and non-bullying moderators. That kind of forum, I do my best to contribute and participate in as I've done thus far.
    Julie is a voice of reason and clarity once again.

I do note, though, that there has been little to no transparency about how this site is now being run or even about who is in charge here. I don't care about the dirty laundry and the personal disputes--I don't mean that all of the drama should be made public--but rather that Eric, or whoever is now in charge, should make some statement about his intentions regarding the future of this forum, especially, and perhaps even the main site (which I do view, as I've said in other posts, and I realize I might be mistaken in my view, as completely separate entities). Why has Dan been stripped of his moderator status at this forum? Will he be reinstated, or has he been permanently exiled? Will Eric take over Dan's moderating duties, and, if so, will he allow us the same freedoms and will he be capable of exercising the same sort of self-restraint? Will he now be a reliable presence, or might he vanish into thin air once again? I hope that the past couple of days are no indication of the future: the heavy handedness and quick temper that led to a sudden shut down of the forum, without any warning whatsoever, is a bad omen. It has led me to lose trust in this place. I no longer see this forum as a haven but as a fickle friend. It may or may not be here tomorrow, and I--or any other member here--may or may not wake up one day to find that she is on the outside looking in.

Repreive, you have accurately articulated the very thoughts that have been brewing in my mind since this issue surfaced. Thank you for taking the time to speak up, and for your transparency.

Julie, once again, you are a breath of fresh air. I appreciate your remarks as well, and would like to note that I have enjoyed the very same qualities you've mentioned about this forum. I have appreciated it so much, that I've been willing to put my money where my mouth is and hit the donate button in order to support it.
    Beware of oblique conclusions.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to klpeabody For This Useful Post:

jde (March 8th, 2015), orfew (March 10th, 2015), reprieve (March 8th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    I do note, though, that there has been little to no transparency about how this site is now being run or even about who is in charge here.
    Yes! Thank you for that. I'm looking for it, too. Certainly, it was here once upon a time, long ago. And then something happened.

But I still prefer to exercise trust and patience that more will be revealed to us. It's not easy, I know. Yet, there has been a stated willingness to have community involvement in the stakes of the forum.

I've been taken aback in other threads by the outrage and virtual pitchforks being displayed. And so I find my trust in the community a little shaky as well. For me, it's not just the Eric/Dan thing, it's how we respond in kind that determines, at least for me, how "we" live on and if I want to be here myself.

If we cannot take on the responsibility of the forum, then it may very likely die. I for one can contribute a few dollars now and then, but more than that may be difficult. I'm not a daily forum person, as many well know, but when I'm here I try to give something of what's been shared with me, or what I've experienced. As well as given small donations in what I can kinda afford.

Each of us who cares has to ask, "Do I want my forum served up for me, or can I take a broader role in helping it live on?"

I like the idea of nominating some folks to participate in the forum oversight, and I can think of at least four people I'd throw into the hat.

Ultimately, we need this Eric fella to 'splain something to us, and open the door to our involvement. That'll either happen or it won't.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jde For This Useful Post:

Hawk (March 8th, 2015), TSherbs (March 8th, 2015)

Thanks

I hope the main site gets back up soon, hopeful to see a few administrative or moderators added. I would like to see Dan as a moderator. I have and hope to continue to enjoy the forum. I did not mind donating to the forum. It must cost somehow to keep it running.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

Is the multi-moderator system (in which a moderator or two is assigned to a subforum) inherently flawed, or with a smaller, 'slower moving' forum such as this one, can it function well? With FPN, the system allowed for the establishment of an overbearing group of moderators and admin, but were there other factors that caused that to happen?
    Will

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Is the multi-moderator system (in which a moderator or two is assigned to a subforum) inherently flawed, or with a smaller, 'slower moving' forum such as this one, can it function well? With FPN, the system allowed for the establishment of an overbearing group of moderators and admin, but were there other factors that caused that to happen?
    My observation: any time human beings are involved, there can be problems. The more human beings, the more potential for problems. The *only* reason for multiple mods/admins on a site this small would be if one person didn't want to do it all. It would be less efficient and a rather unnecessary allocation of human resources.

This site can, should, and has run fine with one person maintaining it. Should it grow much larger in the future, that can be revisited. The best solution still remains the most obvious one to many, if not most, of us.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

elaineb (March 7th, 2015), fountainpenkid (March 7th, 2015), Marsilius (March 7th, 2015), orfew (March 10th, 2015), reprieve (March 7th, 2015), TerraNoir (March 7th, 2015), Xina (March 8th, 2015)