Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Lamy?

jor412

Default Re: Why Lamy?

Quote Originally Posted by snedwos View Post

Interesting situation where the ink bottle costs more than the pen?

Edit: Huh, just looked at Goulet, and it would seem that my claim doesn't work for the US.

Here in Spain Iroshizuku inks are not much less twice the price of a Safari (where I've looked).
    Iroshizuku inks aren't available here but one of our local pen members brought in a whole lot of bottles and sold them to us. So I paid almost the same as what I paid for the Lamy. The selling price of the Lamy here is roughly $35. By default, the pen comes with a converter, two carts & a cool Lamy box. If I want more Iroshizuku, I'll have to buy the bottles elsewhere and have them shipped to the Philippines, in which case, they may well end up being more expensive than the Lamy.

Thanks

They just work. I own almost a dozen 2k, Sarfari's and Alstar. Only one (1!) has had a few writing issues out of the box. That is an incredible QA record and the prices just can not be beat.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 1,745 Posts

I'm interested in the 2K for its look. Is it really really heavy?
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Not at all. It's a light weight pen but feels well made. Some folks do not like the little fins on the side. It's never bothered me and I love the feel of the material. No other pen like it. The only reason I don't have one in constant rotation is how difficult it is to clean. I use pigment heavy inks like Noodler's and I like to switch out my inks. Since you can't disassemble the pen, it takes quite a few flushes to clean out ink.

Thanks

I agree that the 2000 just feels like a really well made pen. I have one Lamy 2000, and it's a terrific pen that's always ready to work. Always.

My first Lamy was a black cp1. I bought it from a small specialty shop in Little Rock, AR, of all places. It was really my second fountain pen. The first being a stainless steel German pen I bought in Vienna, Austria. Still have no idea what brand that pen was or what happend to it. Anyway, that black cp1 was a workhorse. I had that pen on me everyday for at least two years. The springloaded clip finally popped off, and I almost went into shock. I went back to the store, and (to their credit) they told me they could sell me a new cp1 but that I should try to send my old one back to Lamy to see if they would repair it. I did. And they did (only for the cost of shipping). And I've been hooked ever since.

In the last ten years I've acquired a lot more Lamys. Many of them vintage or out of production models because I like the design history of the company, and I really like the pens. In fact, I've always been attracted to the Bauhaus aesthetic. Walter Gropius was a true pioneer, and I think Lamy has followed in his, or the schools', philosophical footsteps. In fact, I always wondered whether they look toward Johannes Itten or his student Joseph Albers when making some of their color choices on the Safaris.

Anyway, the form follows function philosophy really captures me. I think, actually, it's why I'm drawn to fountain pens in general, and Lamys in particular. The fountain pen is a designed structure, thought out and considered for its looks, but it also links to the human body through our writing. Its function is an extention of our bodies and ultimately our ideas. The fact that Lamy's designs don't try to hide this, has always pleased me. I also like that they seem to highlight their designers and link the names to the pens. Other companies may do this as well, but I've always admired Lamy's listing of the product designers with their writing instruments.

Lastly, a couple parting thoughts. I do wish Lamy still made more piston fillers. The 2000 is a great design, but it's high time for another piston filler design in the line up. On another note, I don't own a single Safari or Vista, but I think the reasonable cost and high quality of these entry level fountain pens serves Lamy very well. I just think another piston filler would be a welcome addition.

Well, tonight I'm writing (and drawing) with a vintage Lamy 27, and it's high time I get off the computer and get back to the pen. Cheers!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DGG For This Useful Post:

Chuasam (February 9th, 2015)

Thanks

Lastly, a couple parting thoughts. I do wish Lamy still made more piston fillers. The 2000 is a great design, but it's high time for another piston filler design in the line up. On another note, I don't own a single Safari or Vista, but I think the reasonable cost and high quality of these entry level fountain pens serves Lamy very well. I just think another piston filler would be a welcome addition.
    It's the modern trend to keep costs down perhaps and to make a fortune out of selling branded ink cartridges for the pen.
    Very few manufacturers make piston fillers any more and even fewer make anything but cartridge/converter pens.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to whych For This Useful Post:

Moxoftritonytes (July 1st, 2013)

Thanks

I have a Lamy CP1 in black and about a dozen Safaris, Al-Stars, NEXX and a Joy. I like the form-follows-function aspect of their design. And the fact that they look different from traditional fountain pens. The nibs are easily interchangeable and tweakable what doubles the fun when playing with these pens.

Thanks

For me the Lamy's are simple and beautiful.... They function very well and the unique designs put them in their own catagory. I own the Dialoues 2&3, 2 of their 4 function multipens, 1 lamy 2000 stainless steel FP and 2 lamy 2000 rollerballs, and 1 lamy 2000 stainless steel rollerball. When I travel I take the Lamys because they are durable and reliable...

I don't like the Safari design tho.... visually it doesn't work for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adhizen View Post
    The Safari is meant to be an entry level pen and the grip designed to get new users used to holding a fountain pen.
    Their other pens are the ones aimed at the more experienced users.
    I don't think anyone could have predicted how an entry level pen like the Safari has managed to gain such a cult status and become collectible. I imagine other manufacturers are pretty envious of this.
    Strangely enough, the Safari is apparently more resistant/resilient to rough treatment than the aluminium bodied AlStars. Seemingly the colour goes after a lot of knocking around.
    Last edited by whych; July 4th, 2013 at 05:42 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    The Safari is meant to be an entry level pen and the grip designed to get new users used to holding a fountain pen.
    Their other pens are the ones aimed at the more experienced users.
    I don't think anyone could have predicted how an entry level pen like the Safari has managed to gain such a cult status and become collectible. I imagine other manufacturers are pretty envious of this.
    Strangely enough, the Safari is apparently more resistant/resilient to rough treatment than the aluminium bodied AlStars. Seemingly the colour goes after a lot of knocking around.
    I totally get that about them... they are just not for me.

Thanks

I totally get that about them... they are just not for me.
    I agree with that. They are just too big and cumbersome for me. Also, I wonder how well they do with an oblique nib where you need to rotate the pen to get the nib correctly oriented to the page.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Yup, I try would just streamline that HUGE obnoxious cap I'd be much more interested. As is they are just awkward.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

I love the price vs quality aspect of them, the way they feel in the hand, the color choices, and especially the ease of swapping nibs. I think Lamys are some of the best pens around for the money.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.D.D.i.c.t. View Post
    What is it that draws you to Lamy writing instruments?
    My first fp was a silver Lamy Al-Star (fine). For whatever reason I had fountain pen on the brain and google led me to an amazon vendor and I got down to reading the reviews. Kind of like going through a fp forum review thread - likes, dislikes, filling, ink, etc. Got the Al-Star and a z24 converter. Some recommended Noodler's ink - so I got a bottle of bulletproof black. Then, I found the fp forums and had a Lamy 2000 fine on order and shipped before the Al-Star evern arrived. What drew me to the 2000 was it's company history - a thread titled Lamy 2000 and the origins of the Lamy Design - "Bauhaus principle of functional design: ‘form follows function'." How the former Parker employee launched his own fountain pen company.

My next Lamy was a Black Al-Star, fine, then another Lamy 2000 fine. Lastly my first Safari in blue (also fine). Turns out I must be lucky as every one of them has written ootb with no drama. Like a timex watch. All have been inked to capacity at least once and run until dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I'm interested in the 2K for its look. Is it really really heavy?
    It has heft. Here are some weights from various sites (hard to nail down one number for one pen, but they are ballpark and give you an idea to visualize writing with them):

36.39 1.283 oz Parson's Essential fpg review ***
    35.0g 1.234 oz Parson's Essential mrpen.co.uk/
    34.1g 1.202 oz Pelikan M1000 pelikan.com
    32.6g 1.149 oz Pelikan M1000 cultpens
    30.0g 1.058 oz Pilot VP
    31.0g 1.093 oz Lamy Studio
    29.3g 1.033 oz Pelikan M800 pelikan.com
    28.2g 0.994 oz Pelikan M800 cultpens
    26.1g 0.920 oz Omas 360 Vintage LE cfp
    25.5g 0.899 oz Pelikan M800 cfp
    25.0g 0.881 oz Lamy 2000
    24.6g 0.867 oz Platinum 3776 Century black cfp
    22.2g 0.783 oz Nakaya Portable Cigar
    22.0g 0.776 oz Lamy Al-Star
    20.0g 0.705 oz Platinum Pen 3776
    20.0g 0.705 oz Pilot Decimo
    17.6g 0.620 oz Pelikan M600 cfp
    17.0g 0.599 oz Lamy Safari
    15.3g 0.539 oz Pelikan M400NN
    14.6g 0.515 oz Pelikan M101N

Thanks

I just bought my first Lamy a few weeks ago, and I have to say I now understand why people have dozens and dozens in their collection!

I wasn't too sure about buying one because I really didn't like the look of the nib... but the moment nib touched paper, I was smitten! What a buttery smooth writer... for the affordable price, no wonder people are crazy about their Lamys! The pen feels very well-made, sturdy, and I actually like the grip section's indents...

I am also a fan of black pens... I have been trying to limit my addiction by narrowing my search field to only purchasing black pens, and since Lamy is so vibrant in their colours, I have been overlooking them... However, I do like demonstrators... so, I bought a Vista, and I really enjoy seeing the ink I'm using through the body...

I have to say that I'm now a convert to the Lamy Club... I will be adding more to my collection in the future... and possibly in different colours!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

Well, dangitt. Now I'm coming 'round after giving my first one away. I went for the Neon Coral earlier this year and got the nib I really wanted [a 1.1] and love the pen to pieces. Now I have a Vista on order. And a used Safari on the way in the same color as the one I gave away [plan to swap the nib...].

Why? They are comfortable to write with and I enjoy color. But I refuse to start hunting rare color editions.

Well, maybe the Savannah.....or some other "rare" green.
    Last edited by VertOlive; August 7th, 2014 at 11:02 AM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (August 6th, 2014), writingrav (August 6th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chatminouche View Post
    I just bought my first Lamy a few weeks ago, and I have to say I now understand why people have dozens and dozens in their collection!

I wasn't too sure about buying one because I really didn't like the look of the nib... but the moment nib touched paper, I was smitten! What a buttery smooth writer... for the affordable price, no wonder people are crazy about their Lamys! The pen feels very well-made, sturdy, and I actually like the grip section's indents...

I am also a fan of black pens... I have been trying to limit my addiction by narrowing my search field to only purchasing black pens, and since Lamy is so vibrant in their colours, I have been overlooking them... However, I do like demonstrators... so, I bought a Vista, and I really enjoy seeing the ink I'm using through the body...

I have to say that I'm now a convert to the Lamy Club... I will be adding more to my collection in the future... and possibly in different colours!!
    If you like black pens, you could buy the Lamy Safari in Shiny Black. Or you could buy the Charcoal one (I like the texture on that one).
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks

Why Lamy?

- All their pens *feel* right. They feel good quality. For instance, the plastic used in the Safari is not soft, rubbery, or light. I particularly like the Lamy Joy; with its strong red/black contrast, its shiny sleek lines, it looks so much more fetching than the Rotring Artpen. (And let me give a shoutout here for the Lamy Taxus 2000 ballpoint - yew wood, wonderfully sleek and soft and caressable. Can I stop stroking it long enough to write with it?)
    - The detailing is excellent. That's something that came out strongly in recent discussions about the Hero/Jinhao knockoffs of the Safari.
    - The design is always top notch original design. These are not pens that look like anyone else's. The same Bauhaus values that Lamy started with.
    - Swappable nibs (except on the 2000). Even better, swappable *gold* nibs! (Lamy Accent and Studio)
    - And they work. The only Lamy I have that doesn't delight me is a Vista, and while that nib's perfectly serviceable, it just for some reason isn't actually *fun* to write with. All the others are. Maybe I should do some tweaking.
    - Robust, as well. These are not pens you have to worry about or put white gloves on before you use them. Though it is true, using Lamy 2000s for a game of darts is probably not going to get you the best results.

Yes, I love Lamy!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GING GING View Post
    Sorry about the horrible picture quality.