Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why Lamy?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Default Re: Why Lamy?

Quote Originally Posted by johnus View Post
    I be just started on the Hero Lamy clones. These now have clips similar to the Lamy. Or could it be the Lamys are made by the same Chinese company????
    Lamy Safaris are made in the Lamy factory in Germany. The company pays wages and benefits at an EU rate. Also, of course, the company paid for the original design and engineering for the pen.

Someone wrote about a visit to the Lamy factory -- they make everything there, including the nibs. In fact, here is a video that Lamy made about the company, which shows some of the design and manufacturing process.

Thanks

I am a newbie FP Geek (but since I have a "pocket necklace" I am well on my way. After lots of reading and research, I got the Lamy Safari (Coral) pen. I have to say, lots of things sold me like the nib replace (I have yet to try) and the converter cartridge (again, on the next order)...but I have to say until I saw the Coral, I wasn't really excited about the regular colors. Since my fifth grade teacher retrained us on correct handwriting grip (and if you want to work on it--I agree with earlier comment that this pen will help having taught students handwriting for years)--I love it! It was also in the moderate range. And like others, I now echo the fact that I want to write (again) all the time. It has been a healing point--since journalling and writing spiritual mediations have been something I had not been doing often enough.

Thanks

I was truly stunned when I encountered a Lamy Al-Star at a local paperie and was able to hold and examine it closely. It felt lovely in my hand and a long standing aversion to the design ( how I hated the clip!) dissolved. I purchased the Ocean Blue Special Edition with a 1.1mm italic nib and have used it daily at work for months with great pleasure.
    I then purchased the Lamy2000 with a B nib. I deeply appreciate this pen's design and quality. I am not enamored with the metal grip section, I find it a touch slippery but what a nib!
    An unexpected Lamy fan, indeed.
    Last edited by StacyBean; March 8th, 2015 at 04:50 PM.

Thanks

It is nice when you're able to actually see and hold something before you buy it. Enjoy!

Thanks

StacyBean--I'm glad I wasn't the only one that didn't like the clip on Lamy design. But the awesome limited color helped. Now I am totally fine with it. I'll have to look at the other models...

Thanks

I have a couple of 2000s, a metal one and a normal makrolon one. I also have a complete collection of Al-Stars. I like Lamy coz they are workhorses that simply just work. I agree with others though, I am not keen on the safari/al-star clip.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StacyBean View Post
    I was truly stunned when I encountered a Lamy Al-Star at a local paperie and was able to hold and examine it closely. It felt lovely in my hand and a long standing aversion to the design ( how I hated the clip!) dissolved. I purchased the Ocean Blue Special Edition with a 1.1mm italic nib and have used it daily at work for months with great pleasure.
    I then purchased the Lamy2000 with a B nib. I deeply appreciate this pen's design and quality. I am not enamored with the metal grip section, I find it a touch slippery but what a nib!
    An unexpected Lamy fan, indeed.
    I LOVE the section on the Makrolon version. Do you have the steel version?

Thanks

Love the company in general. Love good German engineering with bauhaus heritage. Love the industrial design of the Safari and ALstar (and it probably doesn't hurt that it was originally designed for children.) I'm an engineer by education though I've moved into executive management, and I still like the geek factor of having my Safari (whichever color I select for the day) clipped in my shirt. And I love that all 12 of my Lamy's totaled cost less than the Mont Blanc that didn't write as well and I lost anyway...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to t3design For This Useful Post:

Chuasam (July 4th, 2015)