Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Lamy?

Thanks

Default Why Lamy?

What is it that draws you to Lamy writing instruments?
    For me, I've always liked their designs, especially the cap retention method. None of their caps screw on and off, which is faster and more convenient for me while at the office.
    Is Lamy the only brand with caps like this, even on their higher end models?

the addiction continues...
    I'm Brand New

Thanks

I have 6 of them, including two 2000s, with a couple more on my to-buy list as well. I like the simple, no-nonsense designs and the fact that all of their pens except the 2000 can share nibs. This lets me swap nibs around based on the task at hand. Their build quality is top notch and I've yet to have a single issue with any of my Lamy pens. My only real complaint is their section designs. The Safari/Vista/Al-Star pens' sculpted section doesn't fit my normal grip so I have to modify my hold when using these. On several of their other pens, they use polished metal sections that can be a bit much to hold (slippery) for a long writing session. Other than that, Lamy is one of my favorite brands.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FLJeepGuy For This Useful Post:

Dancingfountain (February 11th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

The triangular section on the Safari will always hold a special place in my hand. I learned how to hold a pen properly and cured my death grip on one. Force Choke, still working on that.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Dancingfountain (February 11th, 2015), inklord (August 9th, 2015)

Thanks

I'm new to Lamys, just got my first one (Al-star with F nib) a week or so ago. I was reluctant to buy one at first because I thought they looked clunky and wasn't sure about that weird grip. Well, consider me cured of all doubt! I freakin' LOVE writing with that pen. To the extent I'm looking for any excuse to go write random thoughts in my day journal. And planning to buy two more pens so I can have one on my desk, one in my sketch kit, and one in my purse. There's just something lovely about the pen from the moment you pick it up and begin to write with it. It is balanced, my hand doesn't get tired writing with it, the tip glides so nicely along the paper. It just feels "right" in my hand. It was "love at first write", as I wrote in my review of the pen on Amazon.
    Don't mind me; I'm busy spending my kid's inheritance on fountain pens, ink, journals, sketchbooks, and art supplies.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DogArtist For This Useful Post:

Dancingfountain (February 11th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

many fp users start with a safari.

and their first safari is still in active rotation. it gets better from there.

dependable gear. If my house burned down and I lost all my stuff, I'd still have at least one Lamy cause there's always at least one on my person.

Thanks

Snap on lids, modern designs, smooth/interchangeable nib make these pens a daily workhorse for me. My job requires a lot of stop and go note taking.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    The triangular section on the Safari will always hold a special place in my hand. I learned how to hold a pen properly and cured my death grip on one. Force Choke, still working on that.
    This is definitely what I like about them. As for their light sabre styling; not to be underestimated
    Roger

Magnanimity & pragmatism

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I'm waiting for someone to make a light saber styled fountain pen.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Why Lamy.... Well, I can talk about why I personally chose Lamy, but it's a long, rambling story that goes into some of my preconceived notions about fountain pens in general. :P Here goes....

Up until about six months or so ago, I didn't know fountain pens still existed or that people still use them. Then, over the summer, I was watching NHK World on my iPad one day and I saw this really fascinating documentary about some Japanese manufacturer of fountain pens. The manufacturer had also made some kind of demonstrator fountain pen that looked so cool. I can't remember the brand of this pen, but I do remember looking it up online and balking at the price...it was hundreds or thousands of dollars and...I think it was a limited edition, which drove up the price? I don't remember offhand. But I went away from that assuming that all fountain pens would be way out of my price range. I was sad because I really wanted that pen, but I wasn't going to cough up hundreds or thousands of dollars for one, either.

Fast forward to this past December. I'd bought something small at Amazon and wanted Super Saver shipping. So I started looking around for other stuff I could toss into the cart. I don't remember how I stumbled on the Lamy Vista, but I was astounded when I saw it. It was another one of those see-through pens--just like the Japanese one I really wanted. And it was well within my price range. I was on the fence about buying it because I didn't know the first thing about fountain pens, so I started doing some sleuthing online. I started out with Googling "fountain pens" to see the general kind of stuff that would come up. It didn't take me long to go to YouTube, too--which was the better choice, I think, because I could see people demonstrating how to use these pens and gving their reviews. Based on the sleuthing I did, I bit the bullet and bought that Vista.

I think I like Lamy in general because you never forget your first...whatever "first" it is that you think about. :P Seriously, though, I think this is a lot of why I have a soft spot in my heart for Lamy. I know Lamy makes expensive pens, too, but I love that they make reasonably-priced starter/workhorse pens, and the limited edition versions of those pens are inexpensive enough to be collectable.

In the time since I started out with that Lamy, I've also tried out Pilot pens (the Plumix and the Metropolitan) and TWSBI (the Mini, with a Vac 700 on the horizon at some point in the future...). I like those pens I've got, too. But like I said--I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Lamy pens.

Thanks

Default Re: Why Lamy?

I bought my first Lamy Safari in 1986, I was impressed by its modern design and unpretentious look. Thirty years after and the design remains timeless!
    By now, my unintended collection has grown and I'm pondering if I shoud organise it and try to complete it with all produced models of Safari and Al-star.

jor412

All this Lamy love has rubbed off on me. I have a yellow Lamy Safari with a medium nib which hasn't seen much use but I'd like to give it another try. Maybe if I find the right ink to go with it. It writes quite smoothly but on the dry side.

Thanks

Luckily for me, or moreso my wallet, I don't find traditional or ornate styled fountain pens appealing. I can appreciate them but much prefer cleaner, more modern designs. Hence the reason I own Lamy pens. The flipside is that my choice of pen brands to buy from is limited.

Thanks

For me it's simple quality products that work. I don't think I've ever gotten a 'bad' Lamy, sure, one that could use a tweak, but never a 'gusher' or a 'dart'.
    Wanted: Clever signature
    Apply in person....

Thanks

New guy here first post.
    I really like the Safari fit and finish. I like how it feels in my hand, I really love having a clip that really works to keep it in my shirt pocket. Last but not least I like the look.

jor412

I inked my only Safari with Iroshizuku Yama-guri and I enjoyed the smooth M nib so I bought an EF nib and changed nibs. The EF writes like a Japanese M to me, which I'm not too happy about, but it's smooth. I like the pen's lightness and it feels like it can take a beating and still write -- though I have yet to test that. I'm glad I read through some Lamy threads and gave this pen another chance. I'll definitely be getting another one, or maybe another three.

Thanks

I gave in and bought my first Lamy yesterday. I got the Lamy Joy. Previously I had stayed away from Lamy because I didn't like the look of their nibs. But now I have enought pens with pretty looking nibs that I feel I can buy some pens with not so pretty nibs. I can't really say what I like about it yet because I haven't had a chance to play with it. That will come later tonight.
    Hello, my name is Nathan. Pleased to make your aquaintance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jor412 View Post
    I inked my only Safari with Iroshizuku Yama-guri and I enjoyed the smooth M nib so I bought an EF nib and changed nibs. The EF writes like a Japanese M to me, which I'm not too happy about, but it's smooth. I like the pen's lightness and it feels like it can take a beating and still write -- though I have yet to test that. I'm glad I read through some Lamy threads and gave this pen another chance. I'll definitely be getting another one, or maybe another three.
    Interesting situation where the ink bottle costs more than the pen?

Edit: Huh, just looked at Goulet, and it would seem that my claim doesn't work for the US.

Here in Spain Iroshizuku inks are not much less twice the price of a Safari (where I've looked).
    Last edited by snedwos; May 31st, 2013 at 05:58 AM.
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks

Two words....Inexpensive Workhorses. I have several in my rotation and almost all of them are flawless. For some reason my Vista has has flow issues since the day I bought it. But otherwise they are easy to take care of, last a long time, and don't hurt the wallet. I guess that's more than two words huh?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kgodefrio View Post
    I bought my first Lamy Safari in 1986, I was impressed by its modern design and unpretentious look. Thirty years after and the design remains timeless!
    By now, my unintended collection has grown and I'm pondering if I shoud organise it and try to complete it with all produced models of Safari and Al-star.
    For me, it was the opposite; my first Lamy Safari was a lemon. See?

It put me off them for years, until I finally bought one of the LE colors.

Now I collect them. And a few of the Nexx. Because I LOVE color, and because I can afford lots of them, and can also equip them with so many different nibs.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Half of my pens are Lamy and all below $40. I like that they are a quality, well designed pen that seems to need little maintenance and just keeps working. It isn't the equivalent of a Franklin Mint plate nor a gold and diamond encrusted monstrosity. It is a pen that write; simple as that.
    Be Here Now