Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FPG History

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

Red face FPG History

Being the mostly anal type person I went looking for information in the past couple of weeks. I specifically was looking for a forum/site history. Who, what, when, where, why, and how kind of thing, about this site. I did not find anything. Did I miss it or not know where to look?

When did this begin? Who started it? How did some people get together and decide to go out on your own? How many here from the start, who are you? I have been to other fp sites and realized quickly that was not for me so I kind of understand how some people would want something different than that. What were the growth numbers, not gobbeldy gook like I read recently in another forum, if you have seen that in soliciting memberships.

How did this different culture develop vs turning into the other type of culture as has been mentioned several times over the last couple of weeks. I am not asking for someone to say this person or that person is THE reason as I am sure that is not so. I do not want this to turn into a support or blame thread. We have evidently kept a lot of people around for some time.
    Anyone want to comment or write a history for new people?

I am a question asker as well as an anal information seeker. I really love being here and associating with all of you, yes ALL, even you Special K.
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 794 Posts

Default Re: FPG History

Inquiring minds want to know....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know....
    Same here.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

EDIT

I am a question asker as well as an anal information seeker.

I may be missing something here, perhaps lost in the translation, but exactly what anal information are you looking for?
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; March 11th, 2015 at 08:58 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Holsworth (March 12th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptos View Post
    I may be missing something here, perhaps lost in the translation, but exactly what anal information are you looking for?
    Not the type you bend over for.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

Holsworth (March 12th, 2015), sparkinflint (March 12th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyorange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptos View Post
    Not the type you bend over for.
    Too much!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TerraNoir For This Useful Post:

Hawk (March 12th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sharmon202 View Post
    ...I am a question asker as well as an anal information seeker.
    I can recommend a proctologist who can give you all the information that you could possibly want.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Holsworth (March 12th, 2015)

Thanks

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gweddig For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (March 11th, 2015), elaineb (March 11th, 2015), Jon Szanto (March 11th, 2015), Uncle Bud (March 13th, 2015), Xina (March 11th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Crudely translated I'd say diameter and depth are the obvious dimensions.

Thanks

How about I just withdraw the question. Never mind.
    Sandy

Thanks

I think ink they're just teasing your choice of words, don't feel bad. Although as a newish member myself, I would also appreciate some info from those who can provide it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post

I think ink they're just teasing your choice of words, don't feel bad. Although as a newish member myself, I would also appreciate some info from those who can provide it.
    I know what they are doing and do not appreciate it, do not think it is funny. Be a while before I try this again!
    Sandy

Thanks

I know what they are doing and do not appreciate it, do not think it is funny. Be a while before I try this again!
    I wouldn't take it personally, if I were you. I think people are just joking and having fun.

I also think that the timing of your question may have played a part in the responses you got. Ultimately, beyond the info in the link provided, we would have to hear from Eric, Dan or anyone else involved with starting the site, and at this particular point in time I think they have other things on their minds.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris Pen For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (March 12th, 2015), fountainpenkid (March 12th, 2015), Hawk (March 12th, 2015), Jon Szanto (March 12th, 2015), Laura N (March 12th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pen View Post

I wouldn't take it personally, if I were you. I think people are just joking and having fun.

I also think that the timing of your question may have played a part in the responses you got. Ultimately, beyond the info in the link provided, we would have to hear from Eric, Dan or anyone else involved with starting the site, and at this particular point in time I think they have other things on their minds.
    This.

To expand, it's a site with a lot of people who like to joke around. Which we have been allowed to do here. Which we appreciate. For example, yesterday I posted that a friend should "blow it out your ear," which was a joke, referring to an earlier joke. Which now makes me think I better go back and scrub that, lest future readers think I'm not light-hearted so much as aggressive and unhinged. Really, I'm the latter only when driving.*

*Another joke.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Chris Pen (March 12th, 2015), Jon Szanto (March 12th, 2015), Neo (March 12th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Since I made a colorful comment I should explain why.

The subject, history of FPGeeks, is a hot button issue. The subject is a very polarizing 'as in people are taking sides' issue with few established facts. The principals involved are not talking which is actually appropriate yet there is a clear line that has been drawn and people are choosing sides.

I and several others tried to interject our unusual flavor of humor into the situation to prevent the thread tipping into another he said she said flame out.

No offense was intended.

Greg provided a link to an early version of the website via the web archive. It is a good place to look.

Farmboy

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 12th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Following up on the three previous posters' wise words: at times of high stress, humor can be an important safety valve. I am certain that no one was going out of their way to make fun of you, but rather, attempting to use the material to spin off in a humorous direction. As someone who has been quite virtiolic and dark at times, with regard to the recent developments, I also try to leaven it with silliness. I am confident my fellow forum denizens were looking at it in a similar fashion.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Oh drat! So I'll have to put away my book - "Everything you wanted to know about proctology but were afraid to ask" - then?

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 12th, 2015), sparkinflint (March 12th, 2015)

Thanks

Don't let us get to you. We understand you're upset. I'm still interested in the history but it's not going to be documented because of the "poop" hitting the fan. Sorry couldn't help myself. Truly we are good bunch of people who need a bit of humor this week.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Since I made a colorful comment I should explain why.

The subject, history of FPGeeks, is a hot button issue. The subject is a very polarizing 'as in people are taking sides' issue with few established facts. The principals involved are not talking which is actually appropriate yet there is a clear line that has been drawn and people are choosing sides.

I and several others tried to interject our unusual flavor of humor into the situation to prevent the thread tipping into another he said she said flame out.

No offense was intended.

Greg provided a link to an early version of the website via the web archive. It is a good place to look.

Farmboy
    I am not taking sides. Indeed, it would be disingenuous for me to do so. I am a relatively new member of this club and I do not really know either the principals, or the argument. I came here for relief from some of the dour and humourless denizens of other places. I came here because I saw wordplay, humour and a love of fountain pens. I contribute because I want this to continue. I have practically fallen in love with some of the people in here who write to me. In the culture in which I grew up, people would invite humourous response with the word forms they used, and by the standards of my upbringing, if a person uses a word, or humourous phrase, twice in a paragraph, it is an invitation to ribald response. Why else, to my way of thinking, would someone deliberately attract attention to an idea, if they did not seek this? Offense is received, not given, and I stand by the twofold intent of my comment, which were both to give a witty response to the words used and to express my opinion of the direction the subject matter had the potential to go.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post

Farmboy
    Though I wasn't here at the beginning and was rarely on the main fpgeeks page, I was surprised to see that nib and pen repair services were offered at the beginning. I thought that it was only a recent development.

--greg