Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 100$ to spend, what pen?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Default Re: 100$ to spend, what pen?

Get a 51.

Thanks

I love my Pilot 92, my Platinum 3776, and my Sailor Pro Gear - they're all great pens, and you won't go wrong. I do not think, however, that any of those three are "transformative". They won't make you look at a fountain pen in a different light. On the other hand, while perhaps not as visually appealing to some, the Pilot Vanishing Point and Parker 51 Aerometric have really made an impression. I initially disliked both, but became an instant convert once I tried them. I am sure there are others that might have a similar impact - those two did it for me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiggercat For This Useful Post:

Alec_J (March 14th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,808 Times in 329 Posts

If I had $100 to spend on a pen I would get a Montblanc 149 double broad. Because there is always a way to make up the difference if you work hard enough :P

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty888 View Post
    As I assume you will want a pen that you can keep I'd dismiss the vanishing point. More an every day carry pen. You want something that when you pick it up you can admire it. The semi transparent of the pilot would do that. Only my Visconti Wall Street LE do I look at more than my custom 92. That includes mont blancs numerous sailors etc.

I'd recommend the black smoke or blue version. Stay away from the clear custom 92

Does that help?
    What's the downside to the clear 92? I was just getting ready to buy one of them.

Thanks
    Dan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skycat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty888 View Post
    As I assume you will want a pen that you can keep I'd dismiss the vanishing point. More an every day carry pen. You want something that when you pick it up you can admire it. The semi transparent of the pilot would do that. Only my Visconti Wall Street LE do I look at more than my custom 92. That includes mont blancs numerous sailors etc.

I'd recommend the black smoke or blue version. Stay away from the clear custom 92

Does that help?
    What's the downside to the clear 92? I was just getting ready to buy one of them.

Thanks
    Dan
    Ink swapping they are very hard to keep 100% clean. Ink does occasionally get in the plastic situations. Pilots can't be dissembled to that degree.

Looks strange with a blue ink inside and brown between some parts

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rusty888 For This Useful Post:

Alec_J (March 14th, 2015), skycat (March 14th, 2015)

Thanks

I'm going to make your life more difficult by offering three different possibilities....

Seems that you like nice celluloids, from your love of the Duragraph and Visconti. Delta Unica might be your best bet, or look at vintage pens - there are some very nice French and English vintage celluloids available at good prices, for instance Burnhams and Bayards, with gold nibs, in or below your price limit. They may be smaller than the modern pens though. Also worth looking at Merlin, if you like smaller pens - some really lovely celluloids, and again won't set you back a huge amount ($40-60 perhaps, including a German gold nib). That's without looking at beauties like Sheaffer balances and Parker vacs.

Lamy 2000 has been suggested by a few people. I love all my 2000s...., but with your enjoyment of colourful pens, you might not find it to your taste. I prefer the broad nib on the 2000, the fines are a bit finicky - the broads on the other hand are lovely wet writers, particularly with a cursive italic grind. You might instead just take the jump up, if you like the Safari/Vista, to a Studio which has the same nib (swappable and also available in gold).

M200s are nice - the Cognac demo just fits in your price bracket if you shop smartly - one on Amazon. Big advantage for you is you can swap the nibs later if you want (and like with the Lamy, gold as well as steel nibs exist that will fit); you can get italic nibs if you look around; piston fillers, particularly nice with the demonstrators as you can watch them work. Big disadvantage? You are now into Pelikan collecting, and that can get horribly expensive... and obsessive...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

Alec_J (March 14th, 2015)

Land of OZ (Kansas), apjohnson1121@yahoo.com
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 00Photo View Post
    If I had $100 to spend on a pen I would get a Montblanc 149 double broad. Because there is always a way to make up the difference if you work hard enough :P
    Money in and of itself is not an issue. Convincing my wife to allow me to spend more money on hobbies is the issue. As I sad before having an accountant as a wife is good and terrible. We live VERY modestly, but have more than sufficient assets. I also have another hobby that consumes the majority of my hobby money. I may someday have a MB, but right now I have chosen to spend ~100$.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    I'm going to make your life more difficult by offering three different possibilities....

Seems that you like nice celluloids, from your love of the Duragraph and Visconti. Delta Unica might be your best bet, or look at vintage pens - there are some very nice French and English vintage celluloids available at good prices, for instance Burnhams and Bayards, with gold nibs, in or below your price limit. They may be smaller than the modern pens though. Also worth looking at Merlin, if you like smaller pens - some really lovely celluloids, and again won't set you back a huge amount ($40-60 perhaps, including a German gold nib). That's without looking at beauties like Sheaffer balances and Parker vacs.

Lamy 2000 has been suggested by a few people. I love all my 2000s...., but with your enjoyment of colourful pens, you might not find it to your taste. I prefer the broad nib on the 2000, the fines are a bit finicky - the broads on the other hand are lovely wet writers, particularly with a cursive italic grind. You might instead just take the jump up, if you like the Safari/Vista, to a Studio which has the same nib (swappable and also available in gold).

M200s are nice - the Cognac demo just fits in your price bracket if you shop smartly - one on Amazon. Big advantage for you is you can swap the nibs later if you want (and like with the Lamy, gold as well as steel nibs exist that will fit); you can get italic nibs if you look around; piston fillers, particularly nice with the demonstrators as you can watch them work. Big disadvantage? You are now into Pelikan collecting, and that can get horribly expensive... and obsessive...
    Excellent options! Thank you for the well thought possibilities! I keep looking at vintage pens trying to learn. I will look at all of the brands you recommended. It seems that there can be more for the money in vintage pens? At least the limited number of pens I've seen. They often have gold nibs and beautiful body materials. I wish there were a tutorial of some sort for new people to learn the very basics of vintage pens. I don't know anyone else personally who collects fountain pens to learn from. I just don't want to get burned on a Frankenstein pen or a piece of junk early.

I am actually leaning toward the Lamy 2000. It is minimalistic in design but I really like that. I also do like the celluloid and acrylic quite a lot. I am afraid of damaging the Conklin or other pens of that style if I edc them. I think the 2000 May be a daily use pen without too much concern for damage. It is understated in a way I find very appealing.

That cognac M200 is also quite appealing! I completely understand the warning about "Pelikan collecting" lol! In my other hobby I have a similar problem, a specific brand I adore and have invested way too much money into. I am afraid of Edison Pens for that very reason... I really like Laura N's recommendation of a gold nib and think I will go that direction.

Thanks

There is a pen club in Kansas City, and one in Denver, depending on where in Kansas you are.

A Pelikan m250 is the same thing as a 200 but with a gold nib.

Vintage will get you more bang for the money.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sloegin For This Useful Post:

Alec_J (March 18th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sloegin View Post
    There is a pen club in Kansas City, and one in Denver, depending on where in Kansas you are.

A Pelikan m250 is the same thing as a 200 but with a gold nib.

Vintage will get you more bang for the money.
    Thank you! I had no idea there was a club In KC. I looked in the clubs section but didn't find anything. Apparently I was not thorough enough.
    Will have to look at the 250's now!

Thanks

Have a look here and here. I think they meet next weekend. I am in KC but haven't attended.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sloegin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

One point that I haven't seen mentioned is to consider carefully your own preferences as to the size of the pen and nib, shape of the pen, materials, etc. I would really hate to see you buy a pen that was a technical masterpiece but was not an absolute joy for you to use. The pens recommended range from smaller to "standard" size, and from lightweight to "normal." If you have a preference regarding size, weight, nib size/style, etc., now would be a good time to share.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveE For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    One point that I haven't seen mentioned is to consider carefully your own preferences as to the size of the pen and nib, shape of the pen, materials, etc. I would really hate to see you buy a pen that was a technical masterpiece but was not an absolute joy for you to use. The pens recommended range from smaller to "standard" size, and from lightweight to "normal." If you have a preference regarding size, weight, nib size/style, etc., now would be a good time to share.
    Excellent points, thank you. I am not certain I yet know exactly. I prefer to write with my Pilot Metro, Lamy Vista and my Conklin Duragraph. The Jinhao is a bit heavy and the Noodlers Nib Creeper a bit thin and light. The Duragraph section was a bit large for me but I have adjusted to it nicely.

I am really leaning toward the Lamy 2000 at this point. I like the way it tapers at the section so I can adjust my grip to the most comfortable width. I also like the looks, piston, and that it's a bit understated. I'm not certain how it compares weight wise.

Any further thoughts are welcome!

Thanks

If you get a Lamy 2000, make sure you get it from a reputable dealer, and if it's not 100% brilliant it needs returning. The caps won't stand jamming on - they do crack sometimes (and I pick the pens up cheap and fix'em up!) - but apart from that it's a robust pen and should be a delight for everyday use.

Vintage pens I learned about several different ways. I did borrow a couple of books from the local library just to flick through. I also used some wonderful web sites: Vacumania, Parker Penography, Ravens March, Captain Chang (modern watermans), Richard Binder's superb site, as well as FPGeeks and FPN and Pentrace. And then really looking out for cheap pens at flea markets and junk shops, and learning. Plus long chats with two or three friendly vendors at pen shows: I was quite honest, said I'd started getting interested, had seen this or that pen that quite interested me, but wanted to learn... came away with two pens and a completely different wants list from where I'd started!

Whatever you decide to get, I hope you enjoy it!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Be aware that the Lamy 2000 has two metal tabs that stick out of the section to secure the cap. Some hate the feel of them if they grip the pen on or close to those tabs, while other aren't bothered by them. Just thought I would bring that up as another thing to consider.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Pen For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Well I pulled the trigger.... Lamy 2000 with a fine nib. Thank you everyone for your great ideas and thoughts. You have all given me many pens and things to think about in the future. It will be delivered Sunday! I love Amazon Prime! Thanks @Laura N for the heads up on that!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Alec_J For This Useful Post:

picautomaton (March 22nd, 2015)

Thanks

I love the statement about Pelikan collecting! I think about stopping but some how I am called back
    to do it again and again.

Thanks

Well the Lamy arrived at my door today, and within 15 minutes it was repackaged and ready to return. it was clearly a used pen and it was missing the little ring with the dog ears that holds the cap on. I purchased this pen through Amazon Prime as a new unused pen. I've been using Amazon for years and never encountered a problem like this. Smoke is still coming out of my ears. I just can't believe this seller thought they could pass this off as new. I hope it was somehow a mistake because what a colossal waste of time and energy. Not to mention huge disappointment.

Ok, so I will get credited and reorder a new pen and it will arrive later in the week. I am just terribly disappointed...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,869 Times in 810 Posts

Bummer!

Not saying that this is what happened but please be advised that Lamy 2000 pens are checked at the factory with Lamy blue ink so that all new pens will have blue ink residue. The fact that the pen did not have the cap ring is inexcusable.

Amazon will deal with this promptly. Please keep us updated.

Thanks

I ordered another Lamy 2000 today from a different seller on Amazon today! It will be here Wednesday. The kicker is its 5$ cheaper! 124.99$ not bad. Only 10$ more than the Massdrop.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Alec_J For This Useful Post:

klpeabody (March 23rd, 2015)