Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 100$ to spend, what pen?

Land of OZ (Kansas), apjohnson1121@yahoo.com
    Thanks

Default 100$ to spend, what pen?

I have a very humble collection of FP's consisting of a Lamy Vista, Pilot Metro, Noodlers Nib Creeper, Jinhao X750, and a Conklin Duragraph.
    I am looking for something 100$ +\- 20$ max.
    My favorite pens to write with are the Lamy, Conklin and Metro. I love the looks of the Conklin. I am very drawn to the Visconti Rembrandt but it is sadly out of my price range.
    The pens I am considering are the Pelikan M200, Delta Serena and Unica, would love a Pilot VP but too steep as well...
    Please offer suggestions and recommendations.
    I could continue to save for the Visconti, but I know myself. Instead of saving Id probably buy ink and other small items and end up with other things I want, but that can wait.

Thank you in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Default Re: 100$ to spend, what pen?

Sorry, but I always say you should save for the one you really like. Because in the end it usually turns out cheaper to skip the interim steps.

When I look at what you already have, I see modern steel nib pens that you don't need to baby. You can get more like that, but I think the next step up would be a pen with a gold nib. Here are some good modern pens that have gold nibs and are reasonably priced, but closer to $150, unless you buy them used: Lamy 2000, Sailor 1911M or Pilot Custom 74. The Pelikan M200 is also a good pen. The M200 has a steel nib, but the nibs are interchangeable. It's also a piston filler, which some people really like. A used M400 on eBay would probably cost the same and get you a higher trim level and a gold nib.

Or you could go vintage: in the same $150 or lower price range, you can find great pens with gold nibs from Sheaffer, Parker or Pelikan.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Alec_J (March 12th, 2015), ChrisC (March 13th, 2015), elaineb (March 12th, 2015), Hawk (March 12th, 2015)

Thanks

Thank you Laura! I had not even thought about gold nib vs steel. Excellent idea. Ok I might have to be disciplined and just save...

Thanks

I know zero about vintage. Other than brand are there specific models to look for?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,023 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Sorry, but I always say you should save for the one you really like. Because in the end it usually turns out cheaper to skip the interim steps.
    Great. Where were you 5 years ago when I needed you?

I second everything else you said, Laura. Some good pens right around that mark, and certainly good vintage, if you just shop carefully, etc.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Alec_J (March 12th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

You can get a Lamy 2000 for about $114.00 on Massdrop. It has a lovely nib.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Alec_J (March 12th, 2015)

Thanks

A previous poster mentioned a used Pelikan M400 would be a good choice. My wife and I agree. A Pelikan M200 would be a good writer. There are many vintage pens that are great, depending on what trips your trigger. The major brands i.e. Parker, Sheaffer are always a good bet. Parker 51's (and to a lesser extent 21's) are great writers and there are numerous body colors and caps that can individualize the pen to your likes. There are many good sellers on FPG but I have bought many pens from AZBennett, Rick Kranz and Michael McNeil. They all have pens that range from writers to very nice pens. Good luck on restraining yourself, I know I have lack of restraint most of the time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Alec_J (March 13th, 2015)

Thanks

I agree with Lady O: the Lamy 2000 would be a great choice - - - this classic piston filler is an iconic pen - - - and it comes with a gold nib. Here's a link to the current Massdrop offer: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lamy-2000-fountain-pen

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You can get a Pilot VP for $100 shipped on that auction site. You can also get the Decimo for not much more.

EMS shipping to the US from Japan usually takes around a week or less.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,870 Times in 811 Posts

The last time I was in that situation I bought a red Pelikan M205 from Pen Chalet. It's now my EDC pen. However I think their special offer is over.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you all again for excellent advice. I think I am going to save just a bit more and go with the gold nib advice. I will most likely wait on the vintage as I am just not knowledgeable enough to discern good from bad. Not sure yet which pen still The Lamy 2000 is definitely in the running. I had not really considered it before. I have read reviews and am somewhat drawn to it now. The Sailor 1911 is also very nice and as I said previously the Pilot VP. I know the Massdrop is on for 2 more days but I'm unfortunately not ready to pull the trigger so to speak. That looks like an amazing deal. I will post my decision in a few weeks.

Still open to suggestion too!

Thanks

Avoid the sailor 1911m for the 1911l.
    I think your best choice is a pilot custom 92. Piston filler. Gold nib. I'm sure I saw one on here for around 120.

As having owned most of the others and sold them. The custom 92 I still have.

Thanks

I'll second the Pilot Custom Heritage 92. It's in your price range and has a gold Nib. I don't know very many people, who have bought it, and don't think it hits well above it's price point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty888 View Post
    I think your best choice is a pilot custom 92. Piston filler. Gold nib. I'm sure I saw one on here for around 120.

@Rusty888

Thank you for your contribution. Could you elaborate just a bit for me please?

Why would you avoid the Sailor's? What about them specifically do you not like?
    What are the positive attributes about the 92 that are lacking in the other pens?

I'm truly interested to know. My wife is our accountant and watches our money like the IRS. It's good and terrible at the same time. Point being I am limited in my ability to spend money on hobbies and since fountain pens are only 1 of my hobbies, I try to allocate my extremely limited resources the best way possible. I'm sure that is true of everyone to differing degrees. The more information and opinions I have the better I feel when I do make a purchase.

Thank you again!

Thanks

That Custom Heritage 92 is very attractive!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alec_J View Post
    That Custom Heritage 92 is very attractive!
    Engeika, a Japanese dealer, has this pen at a "members" price of $122.85, which - if the deal is still on - includes free shipping. You can become a "member" simply by registering at this website:

engeika.com

Many FPG folks, including me, have ordered from this dealer. Even if you're not ready to buy, you should poke around the website for a bit and see if anything strikes your fancy.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You could pick up a Platinum 3776 Century at J-subculture for around $70.00.

http://shop.j-subculture.com/items/d...DBC7AEABBA5E0F

Kent
    Last edited by kbrede; March 13th, 2015 at 10:32 AM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to kbrede For This Useful Post:

Thanks

This is about 30 dollars over your budget, but the Namiki Falcon is a nice pen.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Special K For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alec_J View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty888 View Post

@Rusty888

Thank you for your contribution. Could you elaborate just a bit for me please?

Why would you avoid the Sailor's? What about them specifically do you not like?
    What are the positive attributes about the 92 that are lacking in the other pens?

I'm truly interested to know. My wife is our accountant and watches our money like the IRS. It's good and terrible at the same time. Point being I am limited in my ability to spend money on hobbies and since fountain pens are only 1 of my hobbies, I try to allocate my extremely limited resources the best way possible. I'm sure that is true of everyone to differing degrees. The more information and opinions I have the better I feel when I do make a purchase.

Thank you again!
    It's not that I'm against the sailors. But I have found the 1911m to just feel inadequate against the 92.

I would list the converter a down.
    The nibs are pretty much the same.
    Pilot feels better made
    Piston filler is a great addition on your pens.

The person above that said Engeika is a good recommendation. You do need to register to see all the pens. Don't worry no spam is sent.

I would wait and get a unique sailor. The pro gear slim or the realo versions or a special nib however they are a little more than your current budget allows. For $100 your basically getting entry level sailor and whilst $100 from Engeika your getting nearly the top of the range pilot with its features.

As I assume you will want a pen that you can keep I'd dismiss the vanishing point. More an every day carry pen. You want something that when you pick it up you can admire it. The semi transparent of the pilot would do that. Only my Visconti Wall Street LE do I look at more than my custom 92. That includes mont blancs numerous sailors etc.

I'd recommend the black smoke or blue version. Stay away from the clear custom 92

Does that help?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty888 For This Useful Post:

Alec_J (March 14th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

And consider that in contrast I'm a huge fan of Sailor nibs and have never managed to like Pilots very much, no matter how I tried. (Except for the Custom 823, which is much more expensive.)

Then don't forget that some prefer Platinum to either Sailor or Pilot.

It's sort of a YMMV situation, choosing which pen.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Alec_J (March 14th, 2015)