Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New entry level Visconti

Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 1,317 Posts

Default Re: New entry level Visconti

I am at a loss on where you're trying to go with this...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    I am at a loss on where you're trying to go with this...
    I'd suggest re-reading the thread.

There was discussion about the Unica being a better value pen. Discussion about the quality of the nib on the Classic, which then span off to a discussion about other Visconti steel nibs and Bock nibs in general *shrugs*

Thanks

I got the general intent of the thread, and where it's been. I'm confused on where you're going with:
    The feed on the Unica is completely different to the feed on the standard Bock unit that Visconti and Kaweco employ.
    Is there a point to that? Neither Visconti, Kaweco nor Delta use the same feed and nib across every model, and often there are changes over the production years.

Thanks

The feed and housing on the Bock units for Kaweco and Visconti are identical. I can unscrew the Kaweco unit and put it in a Rembrandt, and vice versa. The Kaweco nib is obviously smaller than the Visconti though.
    I don't have one to hand to compare, but in pictures it looks as though Edison uses the same Bock unit as Kaweco and Visconti. I expect many other companies do too.

The Delta Unica feed is completely different to the Bock one for Kaweco and Visconti, and doesn't use a screw in nib unit.

Bock produce an "off the shelf" nib unit for many companies, with custom options available on nib size and engraving, and markings on the bottom of the feed.
    Visconti, Kaweco, Edison (maybe), previously TWSBI (now using JoWo apparently) amongst many others, essentialy use the same nib and feed.

Thanks

My Edison #5 nibs fit my TWSBI 580 without any adjustments and vica versa, so it does look like the standard screw in nib and feed units are fully interchangable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Potter View Post
    My Edison #5 nibs fit my TWSBI 580 without any adjustments and vica versa, so it does look like the standard screw in nib and feed units are fully interchangable.
    Still interested to see if a TWSBI 530/40/80 nib would fit the Visconti classic. If so, I would have no scruples putting a TWSBI/JoWo stub on it. With a bit of luck, the Visconti should be here next week, then I can also compare to the Unica.
    here men from the pennet earth
    first set nib on the moon
    we came in peace for all penknid

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ste_S View Post
    The feed and housing on the Bock units for Kaweco and Visconti are identical. I can unscrew the Kaweco unit and put it in a Rembrandt, and vice versa. The Kaweco nib is obviously smaller than the Visconti though.
    I don't have one to hand to compare, but in pictures it looks as though Edison uses the same Bock unit as Kaweco and Visconti. I expect many other companies do too.

The Delta Unica feed is completely different to the Bock one for Kaweco and Visconti, and doesn't use a screw in nib unit.

Bock produce an "off the shelf" nib unit for many companies, with custom options available on nib size and engraving, and markings on the bottom of the feed.
    Visconti, Kaweco, Edison (maybe), previously TWSBI (now using JoWo apparently) amongst many others, essentialy use the same nib and feed.
    "Identical" or "interchangeable"?

5ea #5 Bock nibs. From left to right: Kaweco Sport Classic, Kaweco Art Sport, Kaweco Sport 883 (made by Visconti), Faber Castell Ambition, Conway Stewart 58.

They're certainly not identical. In some cases they are interchangeable. Generally you can put any #5 nib on any #5 feed (with some exceptions). Bock uses the same thread pitch across their #5 housings, so yes in most cases they are interchangeable. You could also theoretically pull the nib from your Kaweco or Visconti and fit them in the Unica using its feed, or use the nib and feed from either of the two and friction fit them to the Delta.

All 5 of those pens write great. Perhaps the problem with your non-writing Bock nibs has nothing to do with Bock, Kaweco or Visconti...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by erpe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Potter View Post
    Still interested to see if a TWSBI 530/40/80 nib would fit the Visconti classic. If so, I would have no scruples putting a TWSBI/JoWo stub on it. With a bit of luck, the Visconti should be here next week, then I can also compare to the Unica.
    The Visconti doesn't have a housing and is just friction fit into the section. The TWSBI should fit, although you'll have to pull it from the feed assembly.

Let us know if it works, and looking forward to the comparison with the Unica!

Thanks

"Identical" or "interchangeable"?

5ea #5 Bock nibs. From left to right: Kaweco Sport Classic, Kaweco Art Sport, Kaweco Sport 883 (made by Visconti), Faber Castell Ambition, Conway Stewart 58.

They're certainly not identical. In some cases they are interchangeable. Generally you can put any #5 nib on any #5 feed (with some exceptions). Bock uses the same thread pitch across their #5 housings, so yes in most cases they are interchangeable. You could also theoretically pull the nib from your Kaweco or Visconti and fit them in the Unica using its feed, or use the nib and feed from either of the two and friction fit them to the Delta.

All 5 of those pens write great. Perhaps the problem with your non-writing Bock nibs has nothing to do with Bock, Kaweco or Visconti...
    If I get a chance I'll post up pictures of the nib unit and feeds from the Kaweco Student and Vicosnti Rembrandt which are indentical.

I'm not sure who else you're insinuating is to blame, certainly not me I hope ?

Thanks

[QUOTE=dneal;121495]
    You could also theoretically pull the nib from your Kaweco or Visconti and fit them in the Unica using its feed, or use the nib and feed from either of the two and friction fit them to the Delta.
    Not sure I'm gonna wanna try that...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by erpe View Post
    You could also theoretically pull the nib from your Kaweco or Visconti and fit them in the Unica using its feed, or use the nib and feed from either of the two and friction fit them to the Delta.
    Not sure I'm gonna wanna try that...
    That Delta looks like a #6 and not a #5.

Thanks

That Delta looks like a #6 and not a #5.
    Possible, the size is approximately the same as on my Edison Collier. I think that is a JoWo #6.

Thanks

The Unica (and Serena) using a JoWo would explain a lot.

I've seen pictures of other steel nibbed Delta pens (Capri, Italiana, Virtuosa) and they don't half look as though they use the Bock unit that's used in the Rembrandt.
    In this video at the 11min mark he compares the Rembrandt and Capri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR-IQMExtO4