Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ink Review: Diamine Music Collection: Vivaldi

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

Default Ink Review: Diamine Music Collection: Vivaldi

I have decided to review some of my favourite inks. These aren't necessarily in any particular order.

This one is from the Diamine Music Gift Set: Vivaldi. I thought this might be similar to Diamine Amazing Amethyst but I was wrong. Diamine Amazing Amethyst is a lavender purple ink with grey undertones. Diamine Vivaldi is more like a grey ink with violet undertones. It's a most unusual shade and mine looks greyer than the web-site swatch suggests.

• Water test on the review form shows this isn't a waterproof ink.

• Bearing in mind the paper I use is very smooth, and the nib was a wet stub, this ink took 16-18 secs to dry.

• It flows quite wet, and lubricates the nib quite well.

• It is currently available in the Music Gift set of 10 x 30ml glass bottles and is also now available in 30ml plastic refill bottles from Diamine. The glass bottles are lovely, but are not available separately. The plastic bottles are less stable and fewer pens fit into them for filling.

• Diamine sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.

• It's a reasonable price.

Diamine Vivaldi.jpg

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

da vinci (March 20th, 2015), Jeph (March 19th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (March 19th, 2015), Laura N (March 19th, 2015), Lithium466 (November 8th, 2023), Marsilius (March 24th, 2015), naimitsu (March 19th, 2015), pica pica (March 19th, 2015), Potter (March 19th, 2015), rpsyed (July 13th, 2015), Xina (March 20th, 2015)

Thanks

Default Re: Ink Review: Diamine Music Collection: Vivaldi

Thanks for the review, Chrissy! Especially the comparison to Diamine Amazing Amethyst as that's another ink sample that I have, but haven't inked a pen with yet.
    I love the Iroshizuku Murasaki-Shikibu, but wanted different shades of purples to use when I want something just a little different.

I agree with you that it is an interesting color, though on my screen I see more purple than gray, though less so when compared to D Amazing Amethyst!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to naimitsu For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 19th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naimitsu View Post
    Thanks for the review, Chrissy! Especially the comparison to Diamine Amazing Amethyst as that's another ink sample that I have, but haven't inked a pen with yet.
    I love the Iroshizuku Murasaki-Shikibu, but wanted different shades of purples to use when I want something just a little different.

I agree with you that it is an interesting color, though on my screen I see more purple than gray, though less so when compared to D Amazing Amethyst!
    Thank you for your kind comments.

From the swatch on the Diamine web-site I just expected it to be more purple than I saw when I was writing. It looks quite grey on my screen, and matches the actual review form very well. If I was given the choice between having either Vivaldi or Amazing Amethyst, I would take Amazing Amethyst.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

I agree with Chrissy that it's a gray ink with a purple tint. On my screen, that lovely photo looks more purple than I see in real life. I really like the unusual color. However, I haven't found the right pen for it yet: I found it too dry for my Lamy Al-Star. I'm intrigued (possibly even envious) that Chrissy's seems wetter than mine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    I agree with Chrissy that it's a gray ink with a purple tint. On my screen, that lovely photo looks more purple than I see in real life. I really like the unusual color. However, I haven't found the right pen for it yet: I found it too dry for my Lamy Al-Star. I'm intrigued (possibly even envious) that Chrissy's seems wetter than mine.
    Maybe it's just my Waterman Carene and it's stub nib that makes the difference? I quite like to do a review with a broader nib if I can, as it shows the colour of the ink better than a fine nib does. I know that Carenes hold a huge amount of ink in their internal feeds. That could make a difference.

Thanks

Chrissy you are brilliant! Thank you for all the reviews!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pica pica For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 20th, 2015)

Thanks

What a nice lot of reviews you are posting! This reminds me a touch of Pousseur de Lune. I would have expected Red for the Red Priest, but this has that iron gall very and purple look, too, so maybe fitting for 18th-century manuscript ink.
    Very cool reviews!
    Fortibus es in ero

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 25th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    What a nice lot of reviews you are posting! This reminds me a touch of Pousseur de Lune. I would have expected Red for the Red Priest, but this has that iron gall very and purple look, too, so maybe fitting for 18th-century manuscript ink.
    Very cool reviews!
    Thank you. Diamine Vivaldi isn't as red as P de Lune. Diamine Handel is much more like P de Lune than any of the others I have reviewed

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (March 25th, 2015)

Thanks

As a person who just doesn't particularly care for purples, including popular dusty purples such as Diamine Damson, I did not expect to enjoy Diamine Vivaldi and kind of wrote it off. But, Laura had mentioned that she really liked this one so I decided that, on that recommendation, I would give it a go. I have had my LAMY 2000 inked with this for a week or two, and I really do think it's quite something. I agree with your assessment: grey-purple. I don't find it all that "dusty" like I expected; it's just more grey. It's a nice one.
    Beware of oblique conclusions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klpeabody View Post
    As a person who just doesn't particularly care for purples, including popular dusty purples such as Diamine Damson, I did not expect to enjoy Diamine Vivaldi and kind of wrote it off. But, Laura had mentioned that she really liked this one so I decided that, on that recommendation, I would give it a go. I have had my LAMY 2000 inked with this for a week or two, and I really do think it's quite something. I agree with your assessment: grey-purple. I don't find it all that "dusty" like I expected; it's just more grey. It's a nice one.
    Well, I have ordered a Lamy 2000 (yay ) and I'm thinking of investing in this set for my birthday. So, by the end of April, I may be able to try the same combination.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Well, I have ordered a Lamy 2000 (yay ) and I'm thinking of investing in this set for my birthday. So, by the end of April, I may be able to try the same combination.
    NICE!! Good for you, Chrissy. The LAMY 2000 is another item I wish that I had purchased long ago. I don't know what I was thinking, because now that I have one, it is always inked.

My LAMY 2000 is a wettish writer, so as far as the music set goes, I found that inked with Mozart it was just putting way too much ink down on the page. I am going to see if perhaps Bach behaves better. This LAMY 2000 has a fine nib, and I thought perhaps that it might not do justice to some of the lighter colors in the set, such as Vivaldi. Despite my initial concerns, it has been a lovely pairing.

I have still not made my way through the entire music set, but many of these are saturated enough that they are working quite well in my Sailor 1911 with fine nib. For example, I currently have the Sailor inked with Beethoven, and it's a very nice combination.

OK, sorry to digress...but definitely keep me posted regarding your LAMY 2000. What size nib did you get?

Thanks

I ordered a M nib because I have so many F nibs in other models. It turned out to be a little complicated. I really hope I like the M nib when I get it

Thanks

I ordered a M nib because I have so many F nibs in other models. It turned out to be a little complicated. I really hope I like the M nib when I get it
    I don't have tons of experience with the LAMY 2000, but my fine puts down a pretty generous line. I think that you will be very pleased with the Medium nib.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

I don't have tons of experience with the LAMY 2000, but my fine puts down a pretty generous line. I think that you will be very pleased with the Medium nib.
    Agreed. I
    My Lamy 2000 is a medium and writes like a broad. Congrats and enjoy.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

20. The Following User Says Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

klpeabody (March 30th, 2015)

Thanks

Wouldn't it be nice if Diamine released a set of colors based on birds? Green Violetear, Blue Bunting, Red Avadavat, Pink Flamingo.......
    Last edited by Neo; March 30th, 2015 at 07:14 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neo For This Useful Post:

klpeabody (March 30th, 2015), Xina (March 31st, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice ifDiamine released a set of colors based on birds? Green Violetear, Blue Bunting, Red Avadavat, Pink Flamingo.......
    Yes it would. You never know, one day they may do that.

Thanks

Wouldn't it be nice ifDiamine released a set of colors based on birds? Green Violetear, Blue Bunting, Red Avadavat, Pink Flamingo.......
    I would not hesitate to purchase that one. I love birds; it's a "thing" with me. Great idea, Neo. Have you considered making the recommendation to Diamine?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to klpeabody For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (April 1st, 2015)

Thanks

I would not hesitate to purchase that one. I love birds; it's a "thing" with me. Great idea, Neo. Have you considered making the recommendation to Diamine?

I hadn't considered doing that, didn't think suggestions would be taken seriously.

Thanks

I hadn't considered doing that, didn't think suggestions would be taken seriously.

I don't see why it wouldn't be at least considered. Nothing to lose, you know?

Thanks

I can forsee a slight problem in bird species, as UK birds don't have the same names as US birds, or birds that live elsewhere for that.

My OH and I are members of the RSPB here in the UK, and we are keen birdwatchers. I don't like to call myself a 'twitcher', just a keen birdwatcher. But I could think of a few names. Red Kite might suggest a nice reddish brown ink, or Osprey Grey for example. I could go on and on, but maybe I shouldn't.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

klpeabody (March 31st, 2015), Neo (March 31st, 2015)