Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystery Ink No. 6

Thanks

Default Re: Mystery Ink No. 6

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptos View Post
    MI-ology is a new area of study - it involves artistic critique, science theorising, social science analysis and psychological assessment
    Ah, I think I may have misunderstood the rules. If by some chance I was picked out of the hat I was just going to write with it. Didn't know you had to do all this science stuff. My bad. I think I should withdraw my name under the circumstances.

Good luck everyone else. I'll watch with interest.
    I think you misinterpreted my post. I was teasing. There are no "rules". You try the MI any way you want to. Just writing is as good as anything else.
    Actually I suggest that Cryptos may not realise that Laura adds a little magic to those little plastic bottles, causing otherwise sane and stodgy people to sometimes behave with greater verve than they otherwise would. Everyone loves a mystery! An excellent concept.

If Cryptos were to receive a vial then artistic critique would flow from him like a Voltaire.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mustud52 For This Useful Post:

Laura N (March 24th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

I see. Not sure I understand all of those words but I get the general thrust. A Voltaire is a type of battery, yes?

Thanks

I'm probably too late to the party, but if one counts Israel as being in Africa, then I can add a new continent to the count😃
    Also, I just love trying new to me inks
    "Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things
    in the world that just don't add up."
    James Magary

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to akapulko2020 For This Useful Post:

klpeabody (March 24th, 2015), Laura N (March 24th, 2015)

Thanks

A Voltaire is a type of battery, yes?
    It was an early electric convertible car. It lost popularity when usb connectors started to replace the RCA plugs the Voltaire was designed to use.

Thanks

It was an early electric convertible car. It lost popularity when usb connectors started to replace the RCA plugs the Voltaire was designed to use.
    I should have guessed. It sounds more like a car than a battery when I say it out loud, kind of like Frigidaire. Got to be one of them American things I suppose. I don't know what RCA plugs are, but perhaps it was back in the days before the type of electricity we have now?

Thanks

[QUOTE=Cryptos;122356][QUOTE]

It sounds more like a car than a battery when I say it out loud, kind of like Frigidaire. QUOTE]

Not familiar with the Frigidaire. Is that a New Zealand car?

Thanks

No, it's an American brand of refrigerator. Though if it was a type of car it sounds like it would be ideal for Antarctica!

Thanks

No, it's an American brand of refrigerator. Though if it was a type of car it sounds like it would be ideal for Antarctica!
    I will tell you a secret. The Voltaire is not an electric car.

I think that Laura might wish we were both shut into a Frigidaire and pushed off to Antarctica. We would not sink - the seals on those things were excellent.

Normal MI programming is resumed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mustud52 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So, it's really a battery then? You were just pulling my leg about the car? Naughty!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Dear ink fans,

After the rousing success of Mystery Ink No. 5, klpeabody and I are kicking off the sequel, Mystery Ink No. 6, hereafter to be known by the cloak and dagger initials MI6.

I always like a theme. So this is the Terra Australis edition of Mystery Ink. What? Well, read on.

As before, we are looking for five or six volunteers who would be willing to try an unknown ink and post their impressions here, without posting any guesses about the ink’s identity. We think it's fun to try an ink without any preconceptions, or even a clue as to what it might be. In fact, to preserve the mystery, the identity of the ink will not be revealed until every last recipient has received his or her ink and had a chance to try it. So we also ask people not to write guesses about the ink’s name directly in the thread.

If you’d like to throw your inky hat in the ring, please post here and let us know why you’d like to get MI6. And if it’s not in your profile, please tell us where you live (just the state or country). That helps us pick a diverse slate of participants and figure out mailing times.

Here’s a fun fact: MI has now traveled to the continents of North America, Europe, Australia and Asia. I like to think of MI as bringing the world closer together, one potentially leaky vial at a time. I keep waiting for some customs or postal service agent to start an investigation. But in the meantime, I’m looking forward to finding participants in Africa, South America and, the trickiest of all, Antarctica.

Ah, Antarctica, once imagined as Terra Australis, Aristotle's theoretical southernmost continent. It was not actually "discovered" until 1820, at which time its name had already been given to another. Antarctica still is not permanently settled, since the weather there is apparently similar to that of Chicago in late March.

So, back to MI6. Please volunteer only if you (i) are stationed in Antarctica or (ii) have time to use or test the ink right away, and if you are willing to post in the thread about your impressions. We are looking for people who are enthusiastic about ink, and about posting. Or who are located in Antarctica.

People who've done it before are welcome again, as are people who are new to the exercise. Everyone is welcome in MI.

Participants will be chosen semi-randomly, due to the necessity to favor anyone in Antarctica.

We would like to thank all the people who've generously given MI contributions, allowing our happy little corner of FPG to keep the lights on. A special MI6 thank you to Cob, who surprised and delighted us with a very generous gift today, and is therefore getting his name in lights, or at least font, tinted as close to MB British Racing Green as I can conjure. Would that I had a bottle for him.

Of course I would LOVE to do this again! This MI program has been one of the brightest lights in a long, desperate winter.

Uhmm...I watched a documentary about people repairing a plane in the Antarctic...

Two pages already? I was asleep, I swear!
    Last edited by Sailor Kenshin; March 24th, 2015 at 05:27 AM.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

MI-ology is a new area of study - it involves artistic critique, science theorising, social science analysis and psychological assessment
    Ah, I think I may have misunderstood the rules. If by some chance I was picked out of the hat I was just going to write with it. Didn't know you had to do all this science stuff. My bad. I think I should withdraw my name under the circumstances.

The science is....putting up with the humor that goes on in the thread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyorange View Post

The science is....putting up with the humor that goes on in the thread.
    That seems more like an art.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

I always thought that by far the cleverest name invented for a refrigerator was the Kelvinator - exaggeration I suppose but really brilliant.

Cob

Thanks

I'd like to join this, if I'm still in time. I am in Curaçao, in the Caribbean. So it would bring a bit of geographic spread to the testing group if I'm included. Mail might take a while, though - fair warning...
    De pen is machtiger dan het zwaard - de pen wordt nog gebruikt, het zwaard hangt aan de muur...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mhguda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by akapulko2020 View Post
    I'm probably too late to the party, but if one counts Israel as being in Africa, then I can add a new continent to the count😃
    Also, I just love trying new to me inks
    I already counted it as Asia, but that's a great idea! Just like Russia could be Asia or Europe, depending on where. And let's not forget once we were all one.

That said, I would love to send MI to anyone in Africa. It's my favorite continent!

Except, not "favorite" as in more loved than any of the others. So don't feel bad, other continents, that I said that. You are all great. And the ocean, too, of course. Also great. Air, too. Air is excellent, too.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (March 24th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhguda View Post
    I'd like to join this, if I'm still in time. I am in Curaçao, in the Caribbean. So it would bring a bit of geographic spread to the testing group if I'm included. Mail might take a while, though - fair warning...
    Curaçao is off Venezuela, correct? And Bolivar stayed there? Wonderful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mustud52 View Post
    I will tell you a secret. The Voltaire is not an electric car.

I think that Laura might wish we were both shut into a Frigidaire and pushed off to Antarctica. We would not sink - the seals on those things were excellent.

Normal MI programming is resumed.
    Oh gosh, I consider this normal MI programming. Also useful in weeding out the not-as-much-fun crowd.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Xina (March 26th, 2015)

Thanks

If you need any more names, please throw mine in the "hat" again :-)
    If there are plenty of people who have not been selected yet, please put priority to them over me!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naimitsu For This Useful Post:

klpeabody (March 24th, 2015), Laura N (March 24th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mhguda View Post
    Curaçao is off Venezuela, correct? And Bolivar stayed there? Wonderful.
    Correct on both counts. And not only that, one of his generals, Pedro Luis Brion, was a Curaçaoan.
    De pen is machtiger dan het zwaard - de pen wordt nog gebruikt, het zwaard hangt aan de muur...

28. The Following User Says Thank You to mhguda For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I would love to please. I applied for MI4; I skipped MI5 as you said bright; I am an Englishman in the US so you get two continents in one; I am a loving husband and father; I have pens ready to ink; I will clean one out if I don't... what else can I say... I have been to a few hockey games since I got here... ... ... ... PLEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEE!!!!!!!
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sammyo For This Useful Post:

inlovewithjournals (March 24th, 2015), klpeabody (March 24th, 2015), Laura N (March 24th, 2015), naimitsu (March 24th, 2015)