Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Mystery Ink No. 6

Thanks

Default Re: Mystery Ink No. 6

Geez, I almost forgot: In post #219, I included some comparisons of MI#6 against other purples in my stash. The ink swabs in the photo are as follows:

MI#6
    Comparison 1: J.Herbin Poussiere de Lune
    Comparison 2: Diamine Deep Dark Purple
    Comparison 3: Diamine Tyrian Purple
    Comparison 4: Diamine Handel

MI6 comparison swabs.jpg

The comparison ink used in the writing sample, below, was Diamine Handel:
    MI6 comparison writing sample.jpg
    Beware of oblique conclusions.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to klpeabody For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 15th, 2015), Edith (April 15th, 2015), inlovewithjournals (April 15th, 2015), kbrede (April 15th, 2015), Laura N (April 15th, 2015), naimitsu (April 15th, 2015), Neo (April 15th, 2015), reprieve (April 15th, 2015), Xina (April 18th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptos View Post
    Naimitsu, what is that pen you are using there? I have a tendency to vacillate between fountain pens and dip pens, but I have yet to acquire a nice dip pen holder (using a really horrible E+M holder and an equally, if not worse, plastic Speedball oblique at the moment).
    Cryptos, I bought that beauty from eBay. I was vacillating between a glass handle, a pearl handle, or a metal handle. If you're looking for glass, search using "Murano Glass Fountain Pen". A few holders and a few glass dip pens with a glass nib. Just make sure that the one you bid/buy actually has a metal nib in it.
    The only downside is that my William Mitchell Round Hand nibs didn't quite fit. However, I fixed that by stuffing some eraser in the holder to take up the room for the dip nib. I used some of the cylindrical eraser from a click eraser. The eraser was just slightly larger than the hole, so the holder shaved it for me.

Thanks

Well my guess was completely wrong! I thought it was MB Lavender. Thanks for including me in this round Karen, it was a blast.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Bud For This Useful Post:

klpeabody (April 15th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bud View Post
    Well my guess was completely wrong! I thought it was MB Lavender. Thanks for including me in this round Karen, it was a blast.
    Montblanc Lavender Purple (at least the current version) is really close. I got a letter written with it and it fooled me. The MB is slightly redder, if I remember correctly. There's a Private Reserve that is close, too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Montblanc Lavender Purple (at least the current version) is really close. I got a letter written with it and it fooled me. The MB is slightly redder, if I remember correctly. There's a Private Reserve that is close, too.
    I was really surprised, I've even got MB L (old version) to compare it too. It certainly fooled me, still I may make a better guess next time eh.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Bud For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

I was really surprised, I've even got MB L (old version) to compare it too. It certainly fooled me, still I may make a better guess next time eh.
    Well I think MB Lavender Purple is a great guess -- it fooled us both! But no worries either way, because it's not so much about guessing the ink, as about the experience of trying an ink we know nothing about, and just evaluating it "blind."

I am an ink nut, and if I didn't know their identities I'm sure I wouldn't have known any of them. In fact, MI5 continues to puzzle me. I have used dozens of MB inks over the years, and Gandhi just doesn't fit my preconceptions. Still shaking my head about that one.

We do try not to pick an obvious ink, one where instead of saying "let me try this mystery ink" one would immediately say "OMG I know this one!" Apache Sunset would be a good example of an ink that's too well-known and singular for MI. But other than that we're just focusing on inks we think would be interesting to discuss and to use.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

inlovewithjournals (April 15th, 2015), klpeabody (April 15th, 2015), Xina (April 18th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kbrede View Post
    First, thanks for putting this together. If you need some money for ink/postage just send me a PM.

Kent

Amen and megadittos! This has been such a bright spot for me in an otherwise miserable, endless winter.

Both the DA Mystery Inks seem highly lubricated, which, evidently, I enjoy! I have only one full bottle of a DA ink, 225 Years The US Constitution, and it doesn't like any pen except my TWSBI 540.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Well I think MB Lavender Purple is a great guess -- it fooled us both! But no worries either way, because it's not so much about guessing the ink, as about the experience of trying an ink we know nothing about, and just evaluating it "blind."

I am an ink nut, and if I didn't know their identities I'm sure I wouldn't have known any of them. In fact, MI5 continues to puzzle me. I have used dozens of MB inks over the years, and Gandhi just doesn't fit my preconceptions. Still shaking my head about that one.

We do try not to pick an obvious ink, one where instead of saying "let me try this mystery ink" one would immediately say "OMG I know this one!" Apache Sunset would be a good example of an ink that's too well-known and singular for MI. But other than that we're just focusing on inks we think would be interesting to discuss and to use.
    Yeah, it is good fun trying new inks, especially when you have no preconceived thoughts. I really enjoyed my time using it, and I've kept my 100% record of being completely wrong in my guess. I'll just have to keep trying.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Bud For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

This is a photo I've posted before in another thread, but it just happens to have DA Aubergine in it. Purple is notoriously difficult to photograph accurately but you can just make out how distinctive the DA ink is from the nearest comparisons I had available on that day. Although this isn't the best photo to enable you to judge, Laura is right, MB (new formula) is redder than DA.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Cob (April 15th, 2015), inlovewithjournals (April 15th, 2015), naimitsu (April 15th, 2015), Neo (April 15th, 2015), reprieve (April 15th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (April 15th, 2015), Uncle Bud (April 15th, 2015), Xina (April 18th, 2015)

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

I'm going to have to try a sample of this ink! I loved the old MB Violet (I haven't tried the reformulated Lavender Purple) and have a couple of bottles stockpiled. It's good to know that there's a similar color out there that's readily available.

De Atramentis has produced some real winners. I've only used a few colors--Black-brown, Atlantic Blue, Pigeon Blue, Mint Turquoise, and Steel Blue--but I've loved them all and have ordered full bottles after trying the samples.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So just as an FYI, my guess was Akkerman Voorhout Violet. I have never used this ink but I have done a lot of research on purples as it is my wife's favourite colour and it had very similar properties to other Akkerman inks I have used.
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,745 Posts

Didn't even hazard a guess this time, SO I WASN'T WRONG! Bwahaha.

However, with my limited knowledge of the purple inkscape, I did not realize there actually was an ink named Elderberry.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 10,471 Times in 4,007 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    It is interesting that 2 of the MI's that I didn't test are both DeA inks, and that I like both of them.

I must have a closer look at this brand when I'm next shopping for ink
    I was just thinking today that I'd love to see you review some DeAtramentis inks. Your reviews are so good.

I think I have used ten in total, and I have liked them all. Bearing in mind that the ones I've tried all seem to run wet. It's a brand that you don't hear a lot about, though, which seems unfortunate.
    Thank you. I have a few DeA samples from Goulet's that I must dig out. I've never bought any DeA bottles though because they seem to be quite expensive to get here in the UK.