Thread: Platinum Preppy 0.2 (PPQ-300): brief review

Thanks

Default Platinum Preppy 0.2 (PPQ-300 #1 02EF): a brief review

When I received my Preppy over two months ago, the first thought was whether any pen could be uglier. Since then, my feelings towards it warmed and it has become one of my favourite nibs.

The Preppy PPQ-200 (second generation) model was launched in 2007 and by October 2014 the company sold 5.3 million units worldwide (Platinum Preppy 0.2 press release). Both the first and the second generation pens are still available. The first model was introduced in the early 80s and can be still purchased from JetPens.com (Platinum Preppy PN-900 at jetpens.com). There is a nice review which can be found on the Paper Ink Letter webpage: Preppy PN-900 reviewed on penpaperinkletter.com.

Preppy 0.2 (02EF) belongs to the third generation and was launched in the October 2014 with the whole line refreshed; uniformed steel nib colour, new imprint/label and Slip & Seal Mechanism (a cheaper version of the mechanism introduced earlier in Platinum 3776 models). However, the range of colours was reduced from six? to three: black, red and blue.

Platinum Preppy PPQ-300, Platinum Pen USA

Platinum’s official product specification

PREPPY Fountain Pen <Ultra-fine 02EF>
    Product No.: PPQ-300 #1 black #3 blue black #11 red (totaling in three colors)
    Product specifications:
    Barrel/cap/clip (PC) / cover (PMMA) / inner cap (PP) / core (ABS resin) / nib (stainless)
    Size: 138mm full length, 13mm (max. diameter) / average weight: 13g

There are plenty of great reviews of the second generation Preppy, like

http://www.bestfountainpen.com/plati...in-pen-review/
    https://elliotkang.wordpress.com/201...py-fine-black/
    http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...atinum-preppy/

Preppy eyedropper by PenInkcillin
    http://peninkcillin.blogspot.co.uk/2...ntain-pen.html

and probably my favourite http://www.penanddesign.com/post/572...03-fine-review.

However, it seems that the pens of the second and the current third generations differ significantly, not only in terms of design, but also improved? writing experience. The great review of the new Preppy 0.2 by the Well-appointed Desk can be found here: http://www.wellappointeddesk.com/201...-fountain-pen/

Platinum Preppy 0.2 (PPQ-300 #1 02EF): a brief review

Appearance & Design (3/10)

The pen is made of clear transparent plastic. It is a simple, utilitarian, unappealing and unsophisticated design. There is no a single part I find standing out, but with the Platinum converter and without these modern imprints on the cap and barrel it does look somehow elegant.

‘Ultimately, it’s an inoffensive and playfully-designed pen, and one that conveys a feeling of quiet quality alongside fun frugality…and alliteration.’ http://www.penanddesign.com/post/572...03-fine-review

safari_MR_preppy_prera.jpg
    Safari, Pilot MR, Preppy and Prera

Construction & Quality (4/10)

Preppy seems to be of decent build. In such inexpensive pen I would expect some material flaws and roughness. There is none of that. Unfortunately, the cap tends to develop cracks and after two or three weeks I had to use some sellotape to keep it from falling apart completely.

preppy_prera.jpg
    Preppy and Prera

Weight & Dimensions (5/10)

The pen dimensions are comparable to the Pilot MR and Lamy Safari. However Preppy is noticeably lighter than both of them. The length and diameter of the barrel makes it quite comfortable in larger hands.

prera_MR_preppy_safari_plaisir.jpg
    From left: Prera, Pilot MR, Preppy, Safari and Plaisir

Weight: 9-11 g (15-16 g with a converter; fully filled), I don’t know why my pen weights less than it should according to the official specification.
    Barrel max. diameter: 12 mm
    Length (unposted): 122 mm
    Length (capped): 137 mm

Nib & Performance (6/10)

Preppy’s 0.2 nib and its low price are its greatest selling points. My pen lays down sharp wet lines just slightly thicker than 3776 UEF Century and Plumix EF nib on Pilot MR. It also appears a bit softer than the the other two, but still gives some nice feedback. After polishing with micromesh the nib is one of the smoothest fines I have ever used. It is hard to admit, but I somehow prefers it to my 3776.

On Rhodia 80gsm (horizontal/vertical, in mm, measured under light microscope; the thickness of the lines will vary with different inks and paper):

Preppy 0.2: 0.23/0.20 (Parker Quink Black)

3776 UEF: 0.20/0.15 (J.Herbin Poussiere de Lune)
    Plumix EF: 0.20/0.16 (J.Herbin Rose Scented Red)

The flow is correct and consistent and the nib is moderately wet. I would give it 6/10 on the scale where 10 is the wettest imaginable. This may account for the great smoothness but results in a degree of feathering on lower quality paper. The only serious issue I noticed is the nib drying really fast and then having problems with starting while left uncapped for a short time. The Slip & Seal mechanism is a nice but also a necessary addition to this pen to keep the nib from drying.

prera_preppy_safari.jpg
    Prera, Preppy and Safari

Filling System & Maintenance (7/10)

Preppy is a simple cartridge/converter pen. When using the converter, it is possible to fill up the nib section with extra ink, which significantly increases the storage. With such small nib the ink seems to last forever. The international adapter allows to use any standard international cartridge and most converters.

I do however find it hard and time consuming to flush the ink out of the feed/nib section, which makes any change of ink frustrating.

I don’t really think that there is a point of converting it to an eye-dropper unless someone doesn’t plan to refill it or changing the ink for months.

Cost & Value (8/10)

The pen cost me around 2-3 GBP from cultpens.co.uk. Obviously, it has its flaws, but I can’t really imagine anything better in terms of writing experience in the price range for at least up to 10 GBP.

Conclusion (Final score: 33/60, 55%)

Preppy 0.2 is a simple but nicely designed and relatively well made pen of a surprisingly great writing quality. I wouldn’t offer it is as a gift but I do hope that it will last me for longer. I refuse to think about it as a disposable pen. I like it too much.

preppy_prera+.jpg
    Preppy and Prera

Well, it's my first ever pen review. Please be nice
    Last edited by pica pica; March 25th, 2015 at 08:58 AM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pica pica For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (August 28th, 2019), elaineb (March 25th, 2015), HoarderHoarder (June 10th, 2020), ilikenails (April 5th, 2020), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (August 26th, 2019), Neo (March 25th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (March 25th, 2015)

Thanks

Default Re: Platinum Preppy 0.2 (PPQ-300): brief review

Great review. I just got one of these and found the nib scratchy. I'm glad to know that yours responded well to smoothing with some micromesh. I may just go pull it out right now and give it good polishing!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to elaineb For This Useful Post:

pica pica (March 26th, 2015)

Thanks

Interesting scoring system! Correlates to my experiences as well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BCDDiggler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

I like them, but the cap broke on mine. I didn't drop it or anything--just one day it was broken. I have heard that some people had problems with this aspect of the Preppy pens.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Re: Platinum Preppy 0.2 (PPQ-300 #1 02EF): a brief review

Quote Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
    Great review. I just got one of these and found the nib scratchy. I'm glad to know that yours responded well to smoothing with some micromesh. I may just go pull it out right now and give it good polishing!
    I'd recommend using only 12000 grit and only very briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I like them, but the cap broke on mine. I didn't drop it or anything--just one day it was broken. I have heard that some people had problems with this aspect of the Preppy pens.
    Yes, the brittle plastic used for the cap is a serious issue. The first crack was soon followed by two other and the whole cap become unusable because the Slip & Seal mechanism pushes the pen out of it. Fortunately, the tightly laid sellotape layer at the bottom of the cap does miracles.
    Last edited by pica pica; March 26th, 2015 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks

Wow! Thank you for your throughout review. Looking forward to seeing more reviews from you

Thanks

The Platinum Preppy was the first fountain pen that brought me to the edge of the rabbit hole.

From there I dove down quickly and have since recommended it as a great first fountain pen.

Thanks

Good read! I love the Preppy, just a fun writing machine, espcially in the Medium.

I can't believe how small the Prera is! Never noticed that before. Is it really just 12 cm capped? (source)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marist View Post
    Good read! I love the Preppy, just a fun writing machine, espcially in the Medium.

I can't believe how small the Prera is! Never noticed that before. Is it really just 12 cm capped? (source)
    If you like the Prera, consider buying a Wing Sung 3003. It's the same body and cap but full size and sold for only $3. Very high build quality: it even has the trademark Prera cap feel - which is sort of like you're pushing against a magnet. The nib is a Pilot clone too. The supplied nibs are good, but you can swap in a Pilot one from a Plumix or other cheap donor. The one catch is that you'll probably want to replace the supplied converter with a better one or use cartridges - the WS one is prone to flow problems and spotting.

Like the Preppy, it's easy to clean - the feed and nib pull straight out.

Thanks

Default Re: Platinum Preppy 0.2 (PPQ-300 #1 02EF): a brief review

Quote Originally Posted by pica pica View Post
    Well, it's my first ever pen review. Please be nice
    It's an exceptionally competent review - you even addressed cleaning. (Concerning which, you might want to get a rubber bulb ear syringe if you don't have one.)

but I can’t really imagine anything better in terms of writing experience in the price range for at least up to 10 GBP.
    The Wing Sung 3003 is definitely better, at least if you swap the converter for a Pilot cartridge. (You can always syringe fill them. And a Pilot made convertor should be fine.) You can buy them from a UK ebay seller for three pounds if you want to try one. There's also the Baoer 100 - I wrote a review here. You'll probably have to order one from China, but it's a great pen - I've bought three and they were all up to the standards of classic P51s.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Thanks for the very good review. I have the somewhat similar Plaisir. Great writer, no trouble with the nib and thankfully the cap doesn't seem to be fragile, but equally difficult to flush completely clean.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

nice collection

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Thanks for the very good review. I have the somewhat similar Plaisir. Great writer, no trouble with the nib and thankfully the cap doesn't seem to be fragile, but equally difficult to flush completely clean.
    The section and nib are identical - and swappable - in both pens. And in the Prefounte. They've all got slip-and-seal caps too