Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilot Custom Heritage 92 Upstroke and Left Stroke Problem

Thanks

Default Pilot Custom Heritage 92 Upstroke and Left Stroke Problem

I just received a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 and I'm having some problems with it. The previous owner only inked it once, I've flushed like 8oz of dish soap water and 16oz of water through it (took forever) but the problem persists.

On down strokes and right strokes it writes PERFECTLY and way smoother than my Lamy Safari. However, on the up strokes and left strokes it hardly writes at all. I've attached a picture showing a comparison with the Safari:

Here's a video:

Any tips?

Thanks

Default Re: Pilot Custom Heritage 92 Upstroke and Left Stroke Problem

Are the tines aligned?

Thanks

Don't have a loop but they appear to be by the naked eye. Does this seem like symptoms of misaligned tines? Maybe I need a loop....any suggestions of where I can buy one locally?

Thanks

Does it feel scratchy when you write in certain directions?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Does it feel scratchy when you write in certain directions?
    No it's SUPER smooth in every direction. Way way smoother than my Safari which has no flow problems with left and up strokes.

Thanks

I have no more suggestions, though I'm sure someone else can help. Good luck.

Thanks

Thanks, Neo, hopefully someone has some tips. It's not THAT bad to write with, but not acceptable for a $100+ pen to have no ink laid down with left strokes or up strokes.

Thanks

I'd say it's either slight nib misalignment or some sort of baby-bottom issue. Either way you'll need a hand lens to confirm. I use 10x but it's good to have greater magnification. If not online, you should be able to get a basic lens from a toy shop.

Thanks

I'll check out a loupe set on Amazon so I can investigate. Seems like if it had the baby-bottom issue or misaligned tines that it would have subpar performance on all strokes but I'm certainly a novice so I may be wrong. I will say that while it's much smoother than my Safari, the Lamy writes much more consistently and even though I always thought of it as "smooth", it seems catchy compared to the pilot.

I know aligning the tines is relatively easy to do yourself but the baby-bottom issue seems like a scary one for a novice to tackle so I hope that's not the problem.

What power loupe(s) should I look into?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Yea its hard to tell from the pics and video even....

But a loupe is always a great investment.

http://www.andersonpens.com/product-p/loupe-30-60.htm

Something along those lines will really hep to see whats going on

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Pilot likes to adjust their nibs so that the gap narrows all the way to a close at the tip of the nib. That leads to dry upstrokes. I don't think Japanese writers need to use many up-strokes, though I wouldn't really know. I just know that when I watched the Pilot manufacturing video where a technician was testing a pen, they didn't seem to need any. Anyway, IMHO, the optimal adjustment is a slight gap at the tip. If the slit tapers to where the tines almost touch, but don't, I think your dry upstrokes will go away. The asymmetry between the right and left strokes will usually indicate a misalignment of the tines or perhaps a slight rotation in your grip. I didn't really watch carefully enough to be sure, but my guess would be a slight misalignment. So, just two things: 1. introduce a slight gap, 2. precisely align the tines. If there's a third, watch your rotation.

Different nibs can have different limitations in how you can go about it, but generally there's more than one way to adjust the gap at the nib tip. The method that professional nibmeisters usually seem to suggest first is to grasp the edges of the "wings" of the nib and pull sideways as if trying to pull the tines apart. I don't remember what Richard says here:

http://www.richardspens.com/pdf/workshop_notes.pdf

but there's the link so you can read it for yourself. If I over-shoot it and introduce a wider gap than I want, I try criss-crossing the tines. That usually brings it back.
    --
    Mike

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

elaineb (March 27th, 2015), inklord (March 31st, 2015), Marsilius (March 27th, 2015), Neo (March 28th, 2015), pica pica (March 28th, 2015), sharmon202 (April 1st, 2015)

Thanks

Awesome explanation and tips!

I suspected I was rotated a bit so I tried twisting it every which way but still get dry left strokes.

The dry left strokes don't bother me much as I hardly ever go left unless crossing something out multiple times; it's the up strokes that are really frustrating.

I'll read that link and try separating the tines a bit and report back. I'm also going to order those loupes in order to check the tine alignment.

Thanks

YAY!
    The tine spreading worked!
    The up strokes are still lighter and thinner than the down strokes but the important part is it doesn't skip and consistently writes up and left! When I signed my name or did consistent cursive "f"s before it would often have skips on the up strokes but not anymore!

It's still not PERFECT but it's awfully close and I'm so much happier than yesterday! I may try a bit more spreading to see if I can get the up strokes as wet as the down strokes.

Thank you all SO SO much for your help wow!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThirstyTurtle For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (March 31st, 2015), Jeph (March 29th, 2015), pica pica (March 28th, 2015)

Thanks

I've read a few reddit posts on skipping CH92s, my broad was the same. My broad was worse than yours, ink starvation on the up and left strokes. I reground that nib, the tipping was a bizarre overpolished upright rugby ball hanging off the tines. The next Pilot I buy will definitely be after requesting macro shots of the tipping.
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThirstyTurtle View Post
    The up strokes are still lighter and thinner than the down strokes
    This is usually going to be the case with a nib that doesn't write like a nail because friction and whatever downward pressure there is tends to close the tines and press them against the feed on an up-stroke, whereas a down-stroke tends to open things up. One way I like to assess a pen after adjusting it is to hold the pen loosely by the end of the barrel and try to write with it in such a way that the pen's own (partial) weight is all the pressure it gets. I can't write letters, and it's easy to rotate the nib accidentally, but I can make it go up, down, left, right, and in loops. Looks like a 2 year-old did it. IMHO, the ink should flow consistently that way. If it doesn't, something needs fixing.
    --
    Mike

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

elaineb (March 28th, 2015), inklord (March 31st, 2015), Neo (March 28th, 2015), Woody (March 28th, 2015)

Thanks

Interesting tips from Mike. Here's my solution for tight nibs, and I usually get a few when I order mediums and broads. I pass a shim thru the nib slit several times then test the pen checking for tine alignment each time.. works for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Interesting tips from Mike. Here's my solution for tight nibs, and I usually get a few when I order mediums and broads. I pass a shim thru the nib slit several times then test the pen checking for tine alignment each time.. works for me.
    What do you use as a shim that's small enough? Like a piece of paper or two?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThirstyTurtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    What do you use as a shim that's small enough? Like a piece of paper or two?
    brass sheets

http://www.gouletpens.com/gpc-brasss...PC-BrassSheets

Thanks

Well I went to Harbor Freight today and bought this 5-piece loupe set:

Certainly they're not the best loupes in the world but for $3 you can't go wrong! I was worried they wouldn't be strong enough since the previously posted link was to 30x and 60x loupes. However, I discovered that the HF ones are stackable! Required holding it with your hand as opposed to just your eye but as long as you stack the weakest loupe first and strongest last, they work great! I stacked the 7x in the 10x and voila, 70x loupe (I assume that's how it works). Theoretically this set would be 2x-2100x if that's how it works but I didn't try any further than 70x.

Just wanted to share that great deal if you have a local HF.

Upon my inspection I found that the right tine was lower (closer to paper) than left tine. A small tweak and they're perfect now.

Between the tine alignment and slight slit opening, this is now an incredible writer and I freaking LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

Thanks

I actually use some like this a lot, 2.5x, 5x, and 10x. The only problem with stacking them is that the lenses are plastic and not of very high quality, but it can work. I use something else when I really need to see what is going on, but now that I'm presbyopic, I find these useful for actually working on things and seeing what I'm doing while I'm doing it. I bought a headset binocular magnifier once and didn't find it comfortable to use, eye-wise. I can't sa that I'm entirely comfortable doing my Colonel Klink imitation with one of these in, but at least my eyes per se are relaxed, if not my facial muscles.
    --
    Mike