Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waterman Lady Patricias

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Default Re: Waterman Lady Patricias

Quote Originally Posted by Cob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfie View Post
    I believe that the word is the "dunny" yes?
    Technically that is correct, Cob. However the word 'dunny' has gone the way of 'cobber' and has become deprecated. With influence from Uncle Sam, 'cobber' has turned into 'buddy' (Yuk!) and 'dunny' has been replaced by a myriad of optional terms, loo .. er, too long to list here.
    I'm genuinely sorry to hear this; naturally I deplore the disappearance of Cobber!

It is of course the same in England; these days one hears people use the ugly expression "Can I get [e.g.] a glass of water?" When they mean "May I have a glass of water please?"

A friend of mine, who like me once worked for a while as a waiter, told me that he was strongly tempted to reply "No, you stay there - I'll get it."!

C.
    I also find language corruption really irritating. 'Can I get' is certainly irritating, but not nearly as irritating as 'could of, would of and should of'

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (April 4th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfie View Post
    I believe that the word is the "dunny" yes?
    Technically that is correct, Cob. However the word 'dunny' has gone the way of 'cobber' and has become deprecated. With influence from Uncle Sam, 'cobber' has turned into 'buddy' (Yuk!) and 'dunny' has been replaced by a myriad of optional terms, loo .. er, too long to list here.
    I'm genuinely sorry to hear this; naturally I deplore the disappearance of Cobber!

It is of course the same in England; these days one hears people use the ugly expression "Can I get [e.g.] a glass of water?" When they mean "May I have a glass of water please?"

A friend of mine, who like me once worked for a while as a waiter, told me that he was strongly tempted to reply "No, you stay there - I'll get it."!

C.
    I also find language corruption really irritating. 'Can I get' is certainly irritating, but not nearly as irritating as 'could of, would of and should of'
    Oh God yes!!

C.

Non-participant
    Thanks

Teri Morris (Peyton Street Pens) has just listed this Lady Patricia for sale.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Ah yes, Gertrude A. Young. Born in the last few years of the 19th century, lived in New York as the wife of De Forest M. Young. Had one son and one daughter...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Murfie (April 22nd, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

I have a Lady Patricia just like that one, only mine is made in the USA (imprint on the barrel, which I didn't even notice until I searched for any imprint, since the end cap is devoid of markings).

I took a look at the one on Teri's website. The nib feed on mine has a red stripe. I'd have taken another picture, but my camera's battery needs to recharge.

WLP 4-25-2015 7-04-26 AM.JPG

WLP 4-25-2015 7-04-57 AM.JPG

I bought this pen for its lovely design on the barrel. It's in great working order, excellent condition, but I rarely use it, which should mean that I ought to sell it, but it's too pretty. I have its original nib (at least the nib that was on the pen when I bought it several years ago), but the nib that's on it now is (I believe) a semi-flex EF. Yeah, I should ink it up right now! Yeah, okay!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (April 27th, 2015), Cob (April 26th, 2015), Murfie (April 25th, 2015)

Thanks

The Lady Patricia has Akkerman Hopjesbruin in it now, and wow! Oh yeah, this nib! *Like.*

Should add that I really like the filling mechanism. Yes, it's a lever, and I generally do not like levers, but I like this one, cos it's a -- I don't know the name of it, but it's different. Also, I like that I can see the ink as the barrel is filling. Great little beautiful pen.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Murfie (April 25th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    I have a Lady Patricia just like that one, only mine is made in the USA (imprint on the barrel, which I didn't even notice until I searched for any imprint, since the end cap is devoid of markings).

I took a look at the one on Teri's website. The nib feed on mine has a red stripe. I'd have taken another picture, but my camera's battery needs to recharge.
    <snip>

<snip>

I bought this pen for its lovely design on the barrel. It's in great working order, excellent condition, but I rarely use it, which should mean that I ought to sell it, but it's too pretty. I have its original nib (at least the nib that was on the pen when I bought it several years ago), but the nib that's on it now is (I believe) a semi-flex EF. Yeah, I should ink it up right now! Yeah, okay!
    Mine was made in Canada and also has the red stripe along the center of the feed.

gregamckinney

This is one of my favorite topics. I collect Waterman from 1935 and earlier heavily, including Lady Patricias and also Persian pens and pencils.

Here is a shot showing several of the Lady Patricia colors:
    On the far right is a very discolored (US) Lady Patricia in Persian. At the bottom of the photo is another pen in a variant of Persian that not infrequently appears on Canadian Lady Patricia pens.
    Also in the bottom group is a Jet pen (celluloid) and a BHR example.

This shot is of a variety of Persian pens and pencils showing a wide variety of discoloration and deterioration. You can see the typical case where the pens discolor far worse than the pencils.
    The pencil fifth from the left is the closest to the original color (per the catalogs, anyway) I have ever seen. I would love to have a 94 or a 52V in that state of preservation!

Best Regards, greg

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gregamckinney For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (April 26th, 2015), Crazyorange (April 26th, 2015), ethernautrix (April 25th, 2015), Haefennasiel (April 29th, 2015), Jon Szanto (April 27th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (April 26th, 2015), Murfie (April 26th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gregamckinney View Post
    This is one of my favorite topics.
    I'm glad: it was these very photos a while back on FPN that helped me identify a Persian Lady Patrician and purchase it. That top photo is pure gold.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (April 26th, 2015), Haefennasiel (April 29th, 2015), migo984 (April 26th, 2015), Murfie (April 26th, 2015)

Thanks

The Lady Patricia has Akkerman Hopjesbruin in it now, and wow! Oh yeah, this nib! *Like.*

Should add that I really like the filling mechanism. Yes, it's a lever, and I generally do not like levers, but I like this one, cos it's a -- I don't know the name of it, but it's different. Also, I like that I can see the ink as the barrel is filling. Great little beautiful pen.
    Well of course it does have a lever, but it is not strictly speaking a lever-filler; it's actually a bulb filler, the difference being that instead of squeezing the bulb with one's fingers it is compressed by the lever mechanism! A subtle difference I agree but a difference all the same - and significant when one considers the Lady Patricia's ink capacity which is extraordinary for such a small pen.

Cob

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (April 26th, 2015), Murfie (April 26th, 2015)

Thanks

Well of course it does have a lever, but it is not strictly speaking a lever-filler; it's actually a bulb filler, the difference being that instead of squeezing the bulb with one's fingers it is compressed by the lever mechanism! A subtle difference I agree but a difference all the same - and significant when one considers the Lady Patricia's ink capacity which is extraordinary for such a small pen.

Cob
    This is one of the pens I bought on impulse, strictly for the looks of it. I did like the filling mechanism, in large part because I could watch the ink filling the barrel. And, yes, the ink capacity! And now, the [I]nib[I]. This pen just jumped up to a beautiful user, rather than just a sweet-looking pen I wanted to keep just because.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Murfie (April 26th, 2015)

gregamckinney

To clarify, most Lady Patricia pens have the traditional lever filler. There are three finishes with the Ink-Vue filler as shown by ethernautrix. (Top left three as shown in my picture in post 28.)

Regards, greg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

This is one of my favorite topics. I collect Waterman from 1935 and earlier heavily, including Lady Patricias and also Persian pens and pencils.

Here is a shot showing several of the Lady Patricia colors:
    On the far right is a very discolored (US) Lady Patricia in Persian. At the bottom of the photo is another pen in a variant of Persian that not infrequently appears on Canadian Lady Patricia pens.
    Also in the bottom group is a Jet pen (celluloid) and a BHR example.

This shot is of a variety of Persian pens and pencils showing a wide variety of discoloration and deterioration. You can see the typical case where the pens discolor far worse than the pencils.
    The pencil fifth from the left is the closest to the original color (per the catalogs, anyway) I have ever seen. I would love to have a 94 or a 52V in that state of preservation!

Best Regards, greg
    Even discolored, they are beautiful.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post

Even discolored, they are beautiful.
    Yes they are. Mine looks very much like the second pen from left in the bottom row (not counting pencils). It is a nice XF flex nib. I paid $8 for it in a flea market when I was dating my wife. So that would have been nearly 30 years ago. I used to think the discolouration was due to secretions from the hand, until I learned about outgassing from the sac. Even at this stage of discolouration, next time I resac it, I will put a silicone sac in.

Thanks

To clarify, most Lady Patricia pens have the traditional lever filler. There are three finishes with the Ink-Vue filler as shown by ethernautrix. (Top left three as shown in my picture in post 28.)

Regards, greg
    Quite so, I was focussing of course on the Ink-Vue model; my error.

Cob

Thanks

Regards, greg

I regret that I didn't know about your collection or about these pens in general to ask you to bring them to Pen Posse when we were both local. Your pens are really gorgeous.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 27th, 2015)

gregamckinney

Thank you very much.
    Next time I'm in Poland, I'll be sure to bring them with.
    greg

Thanks

Reviving this thread. I just got my hands on a Lady Patricia similar to the one top one shown in the original post (Mist not Agate?). I will definitely need to have this sent out to be resacked/restored. I hope I didn't wind up with a dud. The lever is fascinating to me with it's 2-part mechanism vs. the one long lever. I have much to learn about vintage pens but it's starting to become a bit of an obsession!