Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterman Lady Patricias

Non-participant
    Thanks

Thumbs up Waterman Lady Patricias

While in a pen photo-taking mood I thought I would take some shots of one of my favourite Waterman models - the Lady Patricia. They are a small pen and I've put a Pelikan M250 (same size as the M200 and M400) in one shot to allow a size comparison. The Lady Patricia needs posting unless you have very small hands.

In the first photo, the pen at top is a 1929 Canadian made one in mist with an ink-vue lever filling system. The lower pen is a 1930's U.S. manufactured pen in moss agate. Both pens have fine 14kt gold nibs that have a good deal of flex in them. Cob will find the mist pen familiar as I was fortunate to purchase it from him at a London Geeks monthly meeting before Xmas last year.

These are really exquisite pens that, while tiny, feel very good in the hand. Both write superbly with a typical rich Waterman ink flow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amk (April 4th, 2015), Bogon07 (March 29th, 2015), Cob (March 30th, 2015), Haefennasiel (March 29th, 2015), inlovewithjournals (April 26th, 2015), Jeph (March 29th, 2015), kaisnowbird (April 3rd, 2015), pica pica (March 28th, 2015), Potter (March 30th, 2015), RuiFromUK (March 30th, 2015), Scrawler (March 29th, 2015), VertOlive (March 28th, 2015)

Thanks

Default Re: Waterman Lady Patricias

I had a beautiful blue Lady Patricia a long time ago. It looked like the lower one in the photo, only it was a blue celluloid with gold accent flecks. Lovely color, great condition. My parents, then antique dealers, found it in an old cardboard box lot they had bought, and gave it to me because they knew I like pens. It needed a new sac and the nib tuned just a little. (This was before I could do either.) So I sent it to a fountain pen repairer who did a lot of business with FPN members and was highly regarded.

Months went by, I never heard back from him, nor did anyone else who was waiting on repairs. The tale ended sadly when the guy's wife came onto FPN to say that he'd basically taken ill, could no longer do repairs, but hadn't been able to admit it to himself and so kept taking on repair orders long after he had more than he could handle. Over the months she tried to sort it out and return things to people, but my pen was never returned. By that point, my own life had changed dramatically due to family illness and I lost contact with the pen community.

I still think about that pen, though. I didn't have it for long, and I hope it's in a happy home, wherever it is.

Non-participant
    Thanks

That's a very sad story about your lost blue Lady Patricia, Elaine. However, they still pop up regularly on offer at pen shows, gopens.com (Gary Lehrer), and on other vintage pen sites. I'll keep an eye peeled for a similar one and I'll PM you if I happen to spot one. Unfortunately, a replacement won't come with the emotional attachment that the original had. Thank you for your post.

Thanks

Thanks for your good thoughts. It honestly wasn't mine for very long and I hadn't paid for it... so I see it as having gone off on an adventure, once my parents let it out of its box. It makes me wonder what tales all our vintage pens would tell, if they could recount the stories of their lives.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to elaineb For This Useful Post:

pica pica (March 29th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

These are very beautiful pens. The Ink-Vue has one of the most complicated systems for filling a pen. It is basically a bulb filler with a system of levers. A set of special tools had to be made to resac mine.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    These are very beautiful pens. The Ink-Vue has one of the most complicated systems for filling a pen. It is basically a bulb filler with a system of levers. A set of special tools had to be made to resac mine.
    Indeed. I found an Ink-Vue in one of those 'lots' on eBay that were the contents of a "junk" drawer: old costume jewelry, bits and pieces, and a celluloid pattern I thought I recognized. Sadly, there was a pretty badly marred spot on one side of the pen when I got it, and it hasn't been restored yet. But I'll make those special little wrenches and get around to it one of these days!

I had to look on an older computer, and I've just got two not-so-great pics of my one Lady Patricia, but it *is* a lovely little pen. Mine is in the slightly more difficult-to-fine Persian pattern; sorry that the pen is only pictured with other, non-Waterman pens. (Yeah, I'm not super-happy about the glowing end of the pen, what may very well be the start of crazing, but what are you going to do? This is a pen I'll take good care of, and not make an EDC or anything!)

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (March 29th, 2015), Cob (March 30th, 2015), Murfie (March 29th, 2015), pica pica (March 29th, 2015), Potter (March 30th, 2015), Scrawler (March 29th, 2015)

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
    It makes me wonder what tales all our vintage pens would tell, if they could recount the stories of their lives.
    You've raised a very interesting aspect of buying vintage pens. I often wonder where a particular pen has spent its life before I came along as the new owner, especially when it's something from the late 20's/early 30's. Some years ago I bought a late 20's Parker Duofold Senior in mint condition that had a name etched on the barrel. The name was quite unusual and I managed to find a matching name on a 1931 Wisconsin voter's roll. I couldn't help but wonder what were the circumstances of what was most likely a gift for a special occasion, as I couldn't imagine someone buying a Parker, having their own name inscribed, then not using it. There was no evidence of the pen even being inked when I got it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Lovely looking pens & yours too Jon.

The diamond type pattern is fascinating.

You seem to have neglected a writing sample
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogon07 For This Useful Post:

Murfie (March 30th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Indeed. I found an Ink-Vue in one of those 'lots' on eBay that were the contents of a "junk" drawer: old costume jewelry, bits and pieces, and a celluloid pattern I thought I recognized. Sadly, there was a pretty badly marred spot on one side of the pen when I got it, and it hasn't been restored yet. But I'll make those special little wrenches and get around to it one of these days!

I had to look on an older computer, and I've just got two not-so-great pics of my one Lady Patricia, but it *is* a lovely little pen. Mine is in the slightly more difficult-to-fine Persian pattern; sorry that the pen is only pictured with other, non-Waterman pens. (Yeah, I'm not super-happy about the glowing end of the pen, what may very well be the start of crazing, but what are you going to do? This is a pen I'll take good care of, and not make an EDC or anything!)
    Yes the Persian is attractive but as you say prone to cracking; I have one here that has more cracks than a ringmaster's whip.

And @ Scrawler, I like the ink-vue system and I bought tools to rebuild the Lady P that Murfie has. It's fiddly but rather rewarding to make them work. And even the small Lady P ink-vue holds an amazing amount of ink - more than an Onoto 6233 according to Dr Oldfield.

Cob

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Murfie (March 30th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cob View Post

Yes the Persian is attractive but as you say prone to cracking; I have one here that has more cracks than a ringmaster's whip.

And @ Scrawler, I like the ink-vue system and I bought tools to rebuild the Lady P that Murfie has. It's fiddly but rather rewarding to make them work. And even the small Lady P ink-vue holds an amazing amount of ink - more than an Onoto 6233 according to Dr Oldfield.

Cob
    The Ink-Vue seems to hold about as much ink as a Parker Vac of the same size. I am surprised that it is more than the Onoto, but what would I know, I do not have a working one just yet.

Thanks

Cob
    The Ink-Vue seems to hold about as much ink as a Parker Vac of the same size. I am surprised that it is more than the Onoto, but what would I know, I do not have a working one just yet.:
    Well this is based on a table in the Pen Repair Manual. The difference is small, but the Onoto is a very long pen: Waterman's Lady Patricia Ink-Vue - 1.7ml; Onoto 6233 1.62mL N.B. A Montblanc 149 holds 1.6mL. The Standard Vacuumatic holds a lot of ink: 2.7mL even more than the full size Ink-vue (2.5 mL).

Sorry you are still in Onoto trouble I have fixed all mine - including an Onoto Frankenpen! (5601 cap, nib /3050 barrel/section.

Cob
    Last edited by Cob; March 30th, 2015 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks

Sorry you are still in Onoto trouble I have fixed all mine - including an Onoto Frankenpen! (5601 cap, nib /3050 barrel/section.

Cob
    I am thinking of sending my Onoto to you, when my daughter goes to university in England. I cannot do it right now because the Canadian dollar is in the toilet.

Thanks

It will be a pleasure.

Sorry that the $Can is er, in the can...

Cob

Non-participant
    Thanks

That's not so bad ... they've pulled the chain on the AU$ and it's gone past the u-bend ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Murfie View Post
    That's not so bad ... they've pulled the chain on the AU$ and it's gone past the u-bend ...
    I believe that the word is the "dunny" yes?

C.

Non-participant
    Thanks

Technically that is correct, Cob. However the word 'dunny' has gone the way of 'cobber' and has become deprecated. With influence from Uncle Sam, 'cobber' has turned into 'buddy' (Yuk!) and 'dunny' has been replaced by a myriad of optional terms, loo .. er, too long to list here.

Thanks

Technically that is correct, Cob. However the word 'dunny' has gone the way of 'cobber' and has become deprecated. With influence from Uncle Sam, 'cobber' has turned into 'buddy' (Yuk!) and 'dunny' has been replaced by a myriad of optional terms, loo .. er, too long to list here.
    I'm genuinely sorry to hear this; naturally I deplore the disappearance of Cobber!

It is of course the same in England; these days one hears people use the ugly expression "Can I get [e.g.] a glass of water?" When they mean "May I have a glass of water please?"

A friend of mine, who like me once worked for a while as a waiter, told me that he was strongly tempted to reply "No, you stay there - I'll get it."!

C.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

elaineb (March 31st, 2015), Neo (March 31st, 2015), Scrawler (March 31st, 2015)

Thanks

I'm genuinely sorry to hear this; naturally I deplore the disappearance of Cobber!

It is of course the same in England; these days one hears people use the ugly expression "Can I get [e.g.] a glass of water?" When they mean "May I have a glass of water please?"

A friend of mine, who like me once worked for a while as a waiter, told me that he was strongly tempted to reply "No, you stay there - I'll get it."!

C.
    I am extremely pedantic, and am frequently irritated by the corruption of our language that results from the overarching reach of ignorant usage.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Cob (April 4th, 2015)

Thanks

C.
    Dunny, Dunny, Dunny, it's so dunny, in a poor man's world (with all due apologies to Abba)

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (April 1st, 2015), Cob (April 4th, 2015), Murfie (March 31st, 2015), Neo (March 31st, 2015)

Thanks

Congrats on the two Lady Patricias, Mr Murfie.

A moss agate has long been on my wish list and your specimen, as usual, is very fine.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

29. The Following User Says Thank You to kaisnowbird For This Useful Post:

Murfie (April 3rd, 2015)