Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What we do when we don't have a Pen Posse

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: What we do when we don't have a Pen Posse

Todd is Farmboy.
    Yeah, I already knew that bit.

Some of the pens will get sold, some turned into parts, some kept. It's pretty much the full range of possibility.
    Does that mean there might be some hope for me to source a second-hand cap jewel for my 51 aero? Just kidding, there is no hope for the likes of me.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AltecGreen View Post
    It doesn't always require connections just a bit of diligence and money to strike when the opportunity arrives.
    Not to mention a very, very deep grasp of the pens themselves, and the market. There is very little to keep a neophyte from getting taken to the cleaners on large-scale buys, and I know I've heard those very stories from you guys. Using Todd as just one example, I have no doubt that he could look at enormous collections of pens and have some pretty solid idea of values, both for purchase and intrinsic (or sale) value. Me? Not so much. It's pretty foolish for me to expect to walk up to dealers and start talking buying pens in lots.

But there's still time. I'm not dead yet!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptos View Post

Some of the pens will get sold, some turned into parts, some kept. It's pretty much the full range of possibility.
    Does that mean there might be some hope for me to source a second-hand cap jewel for my 51 aero? Just kidding, there is no hope for the likes of me.

The parts are out there. You can just ping Rob Lott of Fivestar pens and ask as an example.

But buying a single replacement part is paying full retail for the part plus shipping. It is often the case that the parts are worth more than the whole pen just like a car. This is certainly true in the case of a 51.
    2017 San Francisco Pen Show
    August 25-27th, 2017
    Sofitel San Francisco Bay Hotel
    223 Twin Dolphin Drive
    Redwood City Ca, 94065

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AltecGreen For This Useful Post:

Laura N (April 5th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    It doesn't always require connections just a bit of diligence and money to strike when the opportunity arrives.
    Not to mention a very, very deep grasp of the pens themselves, and the market. There is very little to keep a neophyte from getting taken to the cleaners on large-scale buys, and I know I've heard those very stories from you guys. Using Todd as just one example, I have no doubt that he could look at enormous collections of pens and have some pretty solid idea of values, both for purchase and intrinsic (or sale) value. Me? Not so much. It's pretty foolish for me to expect to walk up to dealers and start talking buying pens in lots.

That is certainly true and we have seen people taken to the cleaners in that regard. If you are going to buy vintage pens, you have to educate yourself. I don't think it matters whether you buy one or a whole collection. You can be taken to the cleaners either way.
    Learning the prices and value is a matter of dedication. It takes effort and a bit of time.
    Last edited by AltecGreen; April 5th, 2015 at 01:30 AM.
    August 25-27th, 2017
    223 Twin Dolphin Drive
    Redwood City Ca, 94065

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

The parts are out there. You can just ping Rob Lott of Fivestar pens and ask as an example.

But buying a single replacement part is paying full retail for the part plus shipping. It is often the case that the parts are worth more than the whole pen just like a car. This is certainly true in the case of a 51.

Never heard of Rob Lott or Fivestar - remember I am in the back of beyond here, without any local resources.

A single cap jewel - a reproduction would be fine as long as it fits. It's not as if I am reaching for originality. How much should it be? Shipping is the cost of a letter, not a package. I've have a bunch of dip nibs sent in a letter from the US for a couple of bucks, so asking $23 for shipping is... well, you can imagine the words I would like to use.

Thanks

Thank you for posting the great pictures of this wonderful collection. I enjoyed viewing your posts very much

Thanks

Tell me about the wood trays.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

No eggshell vac?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

That is certainly true and we have seen people taken to the cleaners in that regard. If you are going to buy vintage pens, you have to educate yourself. I don't think it matters whether you buy one or a whole collection. You can be taken to the cleaners either way.
    Learning the prices and value is a matter of dedication. It takes effort and a bit of time.

Exactly. The harder you work (the more you know), the luckier you are.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sloegin View Post
    Tell me about the wood trays.
    Custom made by the person who sold Todd that collection.
    August 25-27th, 2017
    223 Twin Dolphin Drive
    Redwood City Ca, 94065

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by da vinci View Post
    Thank you for posting the great pictures of this wonderful collection. I enjoyed viewing your posts very much
    It was actually multiple collections.
    August 25-27th, 2017
    223 Twin Dolphin Drive
    Redwood City Ca, 94065

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptos View Post

Never heard of Rob Lott or Fivestar - remember I am in the back of beyond here, without any local resources.

A single cap jewel - a reproduction would be fine as long as it fits. It's not as if I am reaching for originality. How much should it be? Shipping is the cost of a letter, not a package. I've have a bunch of dip nibs sent in a letter from the US for a couple of bucks, so asking $23 for shipping is... well, you can imagine the words I would like to use.
    fivestarpens.com (ask for what you don't see on the website)

A more common strategy is to buy a junker and harvest the parts. Shipping is probably going to be your biggest hurdle since the cost won't be to your liking. Like buying pens, it would be more cost effective to buy a small lot of replacement jewels since the shipping cost won't be the same for a small bag of jewels versus a single jewel. This makes the cost per jewel more manageable. But if you only need/want just one, then you'll have to pay the price.
    August 25-27th, 2017
    223 Twin Dolphin Drive
    Redwood City Ca, 94065

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AltecGreen For This Useful Post:

rpsyed (April 5th, 2015)

Thanks

We've recently been putting this flyer in with all orders we ship, and we've gotten some good leads. My hope is that the flyer will surface when someone is ready to start liquidating.

In order to be effective, you need to buy everything and not cherry-pick. It helps when you have a need for the spare parts which a collection purchase inevitably throws off.

TERI
    Teri Morris
    Owner, PEYTON STREET PENS
    www.peytonstreetpens.com

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terim For This Useful Post:

Haefennasiel (April 28th, 2015), Jon Szanto (April 7th, 2015)