Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Chinese Surprises

Non-participant
    Thanks

Thumbs up Two Chinese Surprises

Since returning from the U.K. I have been reunited with my Dremel and have been grinding a few more nibs to keep my skills up to scratch. Two Chinese made pens that have received attention are shown here. While working on them I was reminded how good they are in relation to their cost.

The brown pen is a Kaigelu 316 in tiger eye celluloid. The other is an unknown Jinhao model in black celluloid with inlaid pearl shell diamond shapes. I am not attemtping a review here, just some pics and a broad overview of my perceptions.

The Kaigelu 316 is one Chinese pen that nearly gets it all right. For me, it only has two shortcomings - its total weight (47gms filled with ink) and the two and three quarter turns needed to remove the threaded cap. Offsetting this is that the weight is evenly distributed and the balance is good. It's a large pen that is not intended to be posted. Its design is very similar to that of the modern Parker Duofold Centennial. It is filled using a good quality screw converter with a threaded fit, something rare on an inexpensive pen. The celluloid used in the pen body is attractive and of high quality. The nib is steel but is two-tone and as good as steel nibs get in regards to smoothness and ink flow. I've had the one shown here for a couple of years and I have just ordered another one in charcoal. The cost - the eBay seller accepted a US$17 offer for a brand new one. Can't beat that for value. Nib and feed are friction fit and can be easily removed. Germany Knox nibs of similar size can be used to replace the stock standard nib, though I don't think much would be gained other than to have a gauge that you would prefer over the standard medium that comes with the pen.

The Jinhao is somewhat similar in quality. I've had this one for around three years and it appears not to be available any more ... pity. Not to be confused with current pearl shell models. It also was an under $20 buy. It is slightly slimmer than the 316 but at 46gms it weighs similar, but again well balanced. There is a posting thread but posting throws the balance way out and I can't imagine anyone wanting to do that. The cap is also a screw fit and only takes one and three quarters to remove, an improvement on the 316. The pearl shell celluloid is stunning. The nib is also steel and one size smaller than the 316's nib. It has no hole, just the slit but the smoothness and ink flow are very good. The pen came with a bog standard medium nib which I have ground to a cursive italic.

Neither migo984 or myself have been great fans of Chinese made pens in the past, but these two certainly break the mould and we enjoy writing with them. If you would prefer an italic nib for one and don't grind your own then buy a replacement German Knox 1.1mm nib for them. Fitting is very easy.

There's a photo with the two pens alongside a Pelikan M400 to give some idea of sizes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Bogon07 (April 9th, 2015), Cob (April 9th, 2015), cwent2 (April 8th, 2015), Flounder (April 28th, 2015), Jeph (April 9th, 2015), Jon Szanto (April 8th, 2015), jtanhw (April 9th, 2015), kaisnowbird (April 9th, 2015), Mesu (May 2nd, 2015), pica pica (April 9th, 2015), Potter (April 9th, 2015), RuiFromUK (April 9th, 2015), Ste_S (April 9th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Two Chinese Surprises

Hi, Murfie,

The Kaigelu looks a lot like the Rosetta Magellan, don't you think? I love the abalone one. I like these Chinese pens, but I normally do not like the nibs. I traded the nibs on my Jinhaos out for Goulet ones. Would that work on the abalone Jinhao that you have?
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

I would love both those pens if they didn't have those dang brass linings that make them *so* dang heavy. I gave up on Chinese fountain pens because of the weight.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (April 9th, 2015)

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    The Kaigelu looks a lot like the Rosetta Magellan, don't you think?
    I'm not familar with the Magellan, Denise. Maybe someone else can comment on that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I traded the nibs on my Jinhaos out for Goulet ones. Would that work on the abalone Jinhao that you have?
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think any number 5 size nib would go into the Jinhao OK.

Thanks

Kaigelu 316 - Although it is a bit of a project, there is an individual in the UK that makes a finial for the rear of the Kaigelu 316 that when substituted results in a much lighter pen.

I have done this to my Kaigelu 316 and love the resulting weight and balance.
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    I would love both those pens if they didn't have those dang brass linings that make them *so* dang heavy. I gave up on Chinese fountain pens because of the weight.
    That's usually the most common problem. And it is far worse when the pen is not balanced. Mind you, you can back over them in the driveway without causing too much damage ...

Non-participant
    Thanks

Murfie can spell Porsche. It's his typing that is the problem ...

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cwent2 View Post
    Kaigelu 316 - Although it is a bit of a project, there is an individual in the UK that makes a finial for the rear of the Kaigelu 316 that when substituted results in a much lighter pen. I have done this to my Kaigelu 316 and love the resulting weight and balance.
    Found the FPG thread on this. Thanks for the head's up.
    Last edited by Murfie; April 8th, 2015 at 11:30 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (April 9th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Murfie View Post
    Yeah, right. Deluded again

13. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (April 9th, 2015)

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    And as well as not being able to type, he has very thick skin!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

kaisnowbird (April 9th, 2015)

Thanks

I've got two of the Kaigelu 316s, a white/black one and the amber one, I've brought new lightweight acrylic finials from Richard to replace those heavy brass ones and the pens are now marvellous, not quite up to the standard of the Duofolds they so clearly copy, but for Ł15 who'd complain. All I need to do now is to get competent enough with a dremel!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

And as well as not being able to type, he has very thick skin!
    Ok, you two, get a room!

Oh, wait...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (April 28th, 2015), Bogon07 (April 9th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    That's usually the most common problem. And it is far worse when the pen is not balanced. Mind you, you can back over them in the driveway without causing too much damage ...
    It's been a crazy workweek so far, so I haven't been able to post a pic. However, the pens that DNeal sent me, with Knox nibs personally ground to italics, were Chinese pens that weighed in at 37 grams. I happened to be buying some sample vials and holder and started looking at smaller Chinese pens.

I ended up buying a Baoer 388 that was on sale for $6.00. It is, most obviously, a Parker Sonnet clone, but in almost all respects, the fit and finish is higher than I've come to expect with the low end Chinese pens. Save for the barrel threads being just a bit coarse, this pen looks a feels as good as the Pilot Metropolitan and matches looks with an older Sheaffer 444XG. (These will all be in the photo).

The bottom line is that the feeds are all pretty much the same, so I popped in the nib, and this pen - now only causing me to lift 25 grams - is a remarkable little pen. Honestly, having it inked up on the desk, I've had a hard time not using it. $6 pen with a $9 hand-ground nib in it? GET OUT!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Potter View Post
    All I need to do now is to get competent enough with a dremel!
    If you haven't already read it, see dneal's thread on grinding nibs here on FPG. Excellent stuff and very helpful, especially the Dremel guidance.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

Potter (April 9th, 2015)

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I ended up buying a Baoer 388 that was on sale for $6.00.
    Jon, you must be slipping. I just ordered a 388 on eBay for AU$2.85 and that equates to US$2.15 at the current exchange rates - and the price included shipping!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

What caught MY eye Murfie was the De Havilland ruler...

Now what I'd really like is a DH Hornet with a pair of souped-up Sabres installed.

The Napier Sabre - The Visofil VT of the aircraft world!

Rgds

Cob

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cob View Post
    What caught MY eye Murfie was the De Havilland ruler. Now what I'd really like is a DH Hornet with a pair of souped-up Sabres installed. The Napier Sabre - The Visofil VT of the aircraft world!
    Well spotted, Cob. I got that one at the De Havilland Museum where I bought that fabulous book on the Hornet for which you were the recipient of a photocopy thereof. After coming together over our mutual love of fountain pens, we discovered that we both had a soft spot for the same aircraft - the Hornet. On the same day I bought a very rare 1/48 scale Hornet at the Museum that needs construction which will have to wait until I get back to Blighty. Ummm, maybe one pen photo session in the future should include the Hornet as a backdrop instead of the Porsche (migo - note ... Porsche is spelt correctly!).

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Ummm, maybe one pen photo session in the future should include the Hornet as a backdrop instead of the Porsche (migo - note ... Porsche is spelt correctly!).
    Well that just goes to prove that you're never to old to learn.........

27. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Non-participant
    Thanks

Well that just goes to prove that you're never to old to learn.........
    I don't think I'd better respond to this ... Jon might be watching ...

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I like the Kaigelu pen Murfie, it looks very classy. You did a great job with the Dremel.

I have a Jinhao Pearl Windows (that's what it's called on the box). It's like yours only it has a thicker barrel and the inlaid pieces are rectangular. Maybe the nib sizes are different too.

I also like your mother's sentiment. She sounds like a wise lady
    Last edited by Chrissy; April 9th, 2015 at 05:07 AM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Murfie (April 9th, 2015)