Thread: Ink Review: Diamine 150th Anniversary Ink: 1864 Blue-Black

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Default Ink Review: Diamine 150th Anniversary Ink: 1864 Blue-Black

I have decided to review some of my inks. These aren't necessarily in any particular order.

This one is from the latest Diamine 150th Anniversary inks 1864 Blue-Black. It's quite a saturated blue-black shade compared with Waterman Mysterious Blue. To my eyes it seems to contain more black than some other blue-blacks I have seen

• Water test on the review form shows this isn't a waterproof ink.

• Bearing in mind the paper I use is very smooth, and the nib was a medium, this ink took 16-18 secs to dry

• It flows reasonably wet, and lubricates the nib OK.

• It is currently available in 40ml cake slice shaped glass bottles.

• Diamine sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.

Diamine 1864 Blue-black.jpg

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

akapulko2020 (April 13th, 2015), aurore (October 6th, 2019), carlc (April 13th, 2015), Cob (April 13th, 2015), Haefennasiel (April 15th, 2015), ilangai (April 14th, 2015), jde (April 14th, 2015), Jeph (April 13th, 2015), klpeabody (April 14th, 2015), Laura N (April 13th, 2015), mrcharlie (April 14th, 2015), naimitsu (April 13th, 2015), Neo (April 13th, 2015), Pennanngalan (May 29th, 2015), pica pica (April 14th, 2015), rpsyed (June 4th, 2015), Xina (April 15th, 2015)

Thanks

Default Re: Ink Review: Diamine 150th Anniversary Ink: 1864 Blue-Black

This is a wonderful dark blue-black ink and probably my favourite of the 150th series. I liked it as soon as I saw and used it which is always a good sign!
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Captain View Post
    This is a wonderful dark blue-black ink and probably my favourite of the 150th series. I liked it as soon as I saw and used it which is always a good sign!
    Is it darker than the standard Diamine Blue-Black?

Thanks

Ooh, this is a nice one. Thanks for the comparison to Mont Blanc Blue-Black (or Mont Blanc Midnight Blue, whichever). The first thing I thought when seeing your scan was that it reminds me very much of MB Midnight Blue, although Diamine seems more blue/black less grey. Both are still outstanding, IMHO.
    Beware of oblique conclusions.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to klpeabody For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 15th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Good Captain View Post
    Is it darker than the standard Diamine Blue-Black?
    Yes - I would say considerably darker. In some lighting conditions, it does appear black.
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klpeabody View Post
    Ooh, this is a nice one. Thanks for the comparison to Mont Blanc Blue-Black (or Mont Blanc Midnight Blue, whichever). The first thing I thought when seeing your scan was that it reminds me very much of MB Midnight Blue, although Diamine seems more blue/black less grey. Both are still outstanding, IMHO.
    Thanks for your comments. The bottle of Mb blue-black that I have is simply labelled 149. It's the older type of shoe bottle, and it came in my large square 149 box. That's the older, floppy black velvet, lined box type, not the latest white faux suede, spongy lining, type. The bottle's only label says 149 ink and as it isn't black, I knew it had to be blue-black because those are the only two inks that were ever labelled 149. Does that mean it's the one before Midnight Blue?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by klpeabody View Post
    Thanks for your comments. The bottle of Mb blue-black that I have is simply labelled 149. It's the older type of shoe bottle, and it came in my large square 149 box. That's the older, floppy black velvet, lined box type, not the latest white faux suede, spongy lining, type. The bottle's only label says 149 ink and as it isn't black, I knew it had to be blue-black because those are the only two inks that were ever labelled 149. Does that mean it's the one before Midnight Blue?
    I'm not an expert on these things, but that would be my guess too. =)
    Beware of oblique conclusions.

Thanks

It is available in international short cartridges, and feathers minimally on copier paper, so now I can use metal Kawecos at work. In F/XF nibs, it passes for black only until you compare it to a ballpoint, when the presence and flash come through.
    Really, what DOESN’T look good compared to a ballpoint? My dog looks better than a ballpoint, and he’s a dog! See? Q.E.D. And great ink.

Note: This past week, I’ve been auditioning big nibs for an italic grind - far larger than I would normally use at work - and even in a Broad Kaweco #5, this ink feathered on supergarbagecopier paper LESS than Aurora Black. A really very quite special case, but impressive.
    Last edited by ceebert; September 6th, 2019 at 07:13 PM.