Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Ink Review: Diamine 150th Anniversary Ink: 1864 Blue-Black

  1. #1
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    5,753
    Thanks
    2,677
    Thanked 4,801 Times in 1,868 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Ink Review: Diamine 150th Anniversary Ink: 1864 Blue-Black

    I have decided to review some of my inks. These aren't necessarily in any particular order.

    This one is from the latest Diamine 150th Anniversary inks 1864 Blue-Black. It's quite a saturated blue-black shade compared with Waterman Mysterious Blue. To my eyes it seems to contain more black than some other blue-blacks I have seen

    • Water test on the review form shows this isn't a waterproof ink.

    • Bearing in mind the paper I use is very smooth, and the nib was a medium, this ink took 16-18 secs to dry

    • It flows reasonably wet, and lubricates the nib OK.

    • It is currently available in 40ml cake slice shaped glass bottles.

    • Diamine sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.

    Diamine 1864 Blue-black.jpg

  2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

    akapulko2020 (April 13th, 2015), aurore (October 6th, 2019), carlc (April 13th, 2015), Cob (April 13th, 2015), Haefennasiel (April 15th, 2015), ilangai (April 14th, 2015), jde (April 14th, 2015), Jeph (April 13th, 2015), klpeabody (April 14th, 2015), Laura N (April 13th, 2015), mrcharlie (April 14th, 2015), naimitsu (April 13th, 2015), Neo (April 13th, 2015), Pennanngalan (May 29th, 2015), pica pica (April 14th, 2015), rpsyed (June 4th, 2015), Xina (April 15th, 2015)

  3. #2
    Senior Member The Good Captain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Shropshire, Great Britain
    Posts
    367
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 243 Times in 98 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Ink Review: Diamine 150th Anniversary Ink: 1864 Blue-Black

    This is a wonderful dark blue-black ink and probably my favourite of the 150th series. I liked it as soon as I saw and used it which is always a good sign!
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

  4. #3
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    5,753
    Thanks
    2,677
    Thanked 4,801 Times in 1,868 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Ink Review: Diamine 150th Anniversary Ink: 1864 Blue-Black

    Quote Originally Posted by The Good Captain View Post
    This is a wonderful dark blue-black ink and probably my favourite of the 150th series. I liked it as soon as I saw and used it which is always a good sign!
    Is it darker than the standard Diamine Blue-Black?

  5. #4
    Senior Member klpeabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    439
    Thanks
    1,258
    Thanked 355 Times in 177 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Ink Review: Diamine 150th Anniversary Ink: 1864 Blue-Black

    Ooh, this is a nice one. Thanks for the comparison to Mont Blanc Blue-Black (or Mont Blanc Midnight Blue, whichever). The first thing I thought when seeing your scan was that it reminds me very much of MB Midnight Blue, although Diamine seems more blue/black less grey. Both are still outstanding, IMHO.
    Beware of oblique conclusions.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to klpeabody For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (April 15th, 2015)

  7. #5
    Senior Member The Good Captain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Shropshire, Great Britain
    Posts
    367
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 243 Times in 98 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Ink Review: Diamine 150th Anniversary Ink: 1864 Blue-Black

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Good Captain View Post
    This is a wonderful dark blue-black ink and probably my favourite of the 150th series. I liked it as soon as I saw and used it which is always a good sign!
    Is it darker than the standard Diamine Blue-Black?
    Yes - I would say considerably darker. In some lighting conditions, it does appear black.
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

  8. #6
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    5,753
    Thanks
    2,677
    Thanked 4,801 Times in 1,868 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Ink Review: Diamine 150th Anniversary Ink: 1864 Blue-Black

    Quote Originally Posted by klpeabody View Post
    Ooh, this is a nice one. Thanks for the comparison to Mont Blanc Blue-Black (or Mont Blanc Midnight Blue, whichever). The first thing I thought when seeing your scan was that it reminds me very much of MB Midnight Blue, although Diamine seems more blue/black less grey. Both are still outstanding, IMHO.
    Thanks for your comments. The bottle of Mb blue-black that I have is simply labelled 149. It's the older type of shoe bottle, and it came in my large square 149 box. That's the older, floppy black velvet, lined box type, not the latest white faux suede, spongy lining, type. The bottle's only label says 149 ink and as it isn't black, I knew it had to be blue-black because those are the only two inks that were ever labelled 149. Does that mean it's the one before Midnight Blue?

  9. #7
    Senior Member klpeabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    439
    Thanks
    1,258
    Thanked 355 Times in 177 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Ink Review: Diamine 150th Anniversary Ink: 1864 Blue-Black

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by klpeabody View Post
    Ooh, this is a nice one. Thanks for the comparison to Mont Blanc Blue-Black (or Mont Blanc Midnight Blue, whichever). The first thing I thought when seeing your scan was that it reminds me very much of MB Midnight Blue, although Diamine seems more blue/black less grey. Both are still outstanding, IMHO.
    Thanks for your comments. The bottle of Mb blue-black that I have is simply labelled 149. It's the older type of shoe bottle, and it came in my large square 149 box. That's the older, floppy black velvet, lined box type, not the latest white faux suede, spongy lining, type. The bottle's only label says 149 ink and as it isn't black, I knew it had to be blue-black because those are the only two inks that were ever labelled 149. Does that mean it's the one before Midnight Blue?
    I'm not an expert on these things, but that would be my guess too. =)
    Beware of oblique conclusions.

  10. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Ink Review: Diamine 150th Anniversary Ink: 1864 Blue-Black

    It is available in international short cartridges, and feathers minimally on copier paper, so now I can use metal Kawecos at work. In F/XF nibs, it passes for black only until you compare it to a ballpoint, when the presence and flash come through.
    Really, what DOESNíT look good compared to a ballpoint? My dog looks better than a ballpoint, and heís a dog! See? Q.E.D. And great ink.

    Note: This past week, Iíve been auditioning big nibs for an italic grind - far larger than I would normally use at work - and even in a Broad Kaweco #5, this ink feathered on supergarbagecopier paper LESS than Aurora Black. A really very quite special case, but impressive.
    Last edited by ceebert; September 6th, 2019 at 08:13 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •