Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post Chicago Pen Show Meet Up

Thanks

Default Post Chicago Pen Show Meet Up

Just trying to get some of us together to sit around, gather, enjoy some fun conversation and to show up our new purchases. I know that there is some sort of eatery in the middle of the atrium. So that might be a good place to organize this. There will be a "kickstart" at the show as well. There are some nice places to eat around here as well. Though I know that I will be hunting for a Starbucks after the show is over. For sure!

Any suggestions or just to say, "I'LL BE THERE!" will be awesome!

Thanks

Default Re: Post Chicago Pen Show Meet Up

I'll be at the show on Saturday morning, so depending upon when people want to get together, I may be there. Also, I could get back there on Sunday, too.

As for Starbuck's, there is one about 5 or so minutes away if you go east on Higgins, just before you get to River Road (the road the Westin is on). It is set back from the road, on the north side of the street. (Why do I know this? I live only 1-2 miles away from there.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    I'll be at the show on Saturday morning, so depending upon when people want to get together, I may be there. Also, I could get back there on Sunday, too.

As for Starbuck's, there is one about 5 or so minutes away if you go east on Higgins, just before you get to River Road (the road the Westin is on). It is set back from the road, on the north side of the street. (Why do I know this? I live only 1-2 miles away from there.)
    Sweet!! You are definitely a life saver. I know if there is a post off site get together, this will be a detour of mine.

Thanks

I think I will be there Friday and Saturday, but probably leaving mid-afternoon on Saturday. Hope to meet a lot of you there.
    Jeff

Thanks

I'll almost certainly be there on Saturday, possibly on Sunday as well, but that's more up in the air for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lowjax View Post
    I think I will be there Friday and Saturday, but probably leaving mid-afternoon on Saturday. Hope to meet a lot of you there.
    A group of us are meeting up at the Andersons table at about 10. Hope to see you there!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TerraNoir For This Useful Post:

lowjax (April 14th, 2015)

Thanks

Sounds great! I will try to get there in time for the meet-up. I was up to the Anderson's store on Saturday and had a chance to meet them. A couple of great people.
    Jeff

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lowjax For This Useful Post:

TerraNoir (April 15th, 2015)

Thanks

Maybe I should ask this in its own thread, but I don't see one dedicated to the Chicago Pen Show. I'm sending payment in tomorrow for the weekend registration, but am wondering about the hotel. It is worth the extra money to stay at the Sheraton or would a cheaper hotel that is very close be ok as well? What do most people do? I see the Sheraton also charges $15 a day for parking, which adds up quickly. Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but this is my first time at a pen show, so not sure all the ins-and-outs or best practices.
    Jeff

Thanks

Maybe I should ask this in its own thread, but I don't see one dedicated to the Chicago Pen Show. I'm sending payment in tomorrow for the weekend registration, but am wondering about the hotel. It is worth the extra money to stay at the Sheraton or would a cheaper hotel that is very close be ok as well? What do most people do? I see the Sheraton also charges $15 a day for parking, which adds up quickly. Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but this is my first time at a pen show, so not sure all the ins-and-outs or best practices.
    Well I know that when I went to DC, I would have been much happier staying at the host hotel. But then again the hotel that they ended up putting me in (they overbooked the host hotel...BIG TIME.) I got charged 35 a night! So I wasn't really happy about that. I know there is suppose to be free parking somewhere nearby the hotel as well. I think Mr. Wooten can answer that question better than myself. The best practices are to do whats best for you and your situation. I know that I actually paid for parking last year. It was just for my own peace of mind. I knew where my car was and I could ask people where to find said parking lot. Not having to use an app or something. Haha! Just my two cents. I hope that it was helpful.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TerraNoir For This Useful Post:

lowjax (April 15th, 2015)

Thanks

Obviously staying at the hotel makes it easy to be where everything is going on. I don't know how it works for the parking if you are staying. That's right, I'm going to commute because I always have though, if I'm running this again next year maybe I'd stay, I know it would be so much easier. For those not staying there is free parking catty corner to the hotel - a very easy walk.

Roger W.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Roger W. For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for the information. I think I just put 2 and 2 together. I think you are the Roger I was emailing about the weekend registration. I look forward to meeting you there.

I might just stay at the Sheraton to make things easier. Convenience vs Cost.

Also, does anyone know what time rush hour starts near Chicago? I really don't want to get stuck in 3 hours of rush hour traffic so might try to get down there before it starts. It's about a 90 minute drive with no traffic. If I start at 6:00 AM and hit the edge of Chicago by 7:00, will that be OK?
    Jeff

Thanks

If you're coming toward Chicago at 7 AM, be prepared for some traffic. "Rush Hour" is a misnomer, as there are only 1 or 2 hours of the entire 24-hour day when traffic is light on the expressways. The unfortunate thing for you is that you will be driving along with all the folks from the northern suburbs toward Chicago. It will be slow, maybe 30 or 40 MPH, but you will be getting off the expressway before the worst of it. If you are using a GPS device and taking I-294/I-94 Southbound, follow the signs toward O'Hare Airport. That will get you off the expressway and route you down a mile or so of surface streets to the hotel. Probably better than whatever default route the Nav device may choose.

You could also check some other hotels nearby. I have no idea of their rates in comparison to the Sheraton, but there is a Hilton Garden Inn on River Road nearby, and also a Springhill Suites by Marriott on Higgins Road a bit farther east (maybe 10 minutes). There are also other hotels in the area, but try not to go too far south of the airport, as some of the suburbs a few miles south are a bit "dodgy."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

If you're coming toward Chicago at 7 AM, be prepared for some traffic. "Rush Hour" is a misnomer, as there are only 1 or 2 hours of the entire 24-hour day when traffic is light on the expressways. The unfortunate thing for you is that you will be driving along with all the folks from the northern suburbs toward Chicago. It will be slow, maybe 30 or 40 MPH, but you will be getting off the expressway before the worst of it. If you are using a GPS device and taking I-294/I-94 Southbound, follow the signs toward O'Hare Airport. That will get you off the expressway and route you down a mile or so of surface streets to the hotel. Probably better than whatever default route the Nav device may choose.
    True that, at least on a weekday. I can tell you that if you drive the Edens to the Kennedy, between about 6:30 and 9:15 am weekdays you'll hit stop and go traffic on the Edens. If you are coming in Saturday morning you should be fine that early, assuming no construction or special event.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'll probably leave around 5:30 or so and hit the edge of Chicago around 6:30. That will put me really early at the hotel, but I hope I can miss most of the traffic.

Thanks for the info, everyone!
    Jeff

Thanks

It's almost here you guys!! Super exciting! Just a friendly reminder that the plan is for us to meet at the Anderson's table at about 10AM. If not, you will probably be able to spot me with my brown fedora. Unless there is a chance in the weather.

Soo cold! I can't believe its almost May.

Thanks

Isn't this weather just disgusting? I got caught in a snow squall on the way to work yesterday - just northwest of O'Hare Field.

Oh, well. . . I've seen snow flurries on Memorial Day weekend in Chicago. It could be worse.

Thanks

Isn't this weather just disgusting? I got caught in a snow squall on the way to work yesterday - just northwest of O'Hare Field.
    Agreed! uploadfromtaptalk1429813199221.jpg

24. The Following User Says Thank You to dgator For This Useful Post:

TerraNoir (April 23rd, 2015)

Thanks

I woke up to snow and hail yesterday. And it was entirely too cold for me this morning. So mad.

Thanks

Just a dork of a question, has anyone decided if they are going to the Auction on Friday?

I really want to go, but I don't know if I will be up to do it that day. If it was only on Saturday...if only...if only.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

It would be fun. But Friday night is hard. Also, didn't they say you need the weekend pass? If you go, I'd love to hear a report! What we need is a live stream.