Thread: ASA Sniper Review

Thanks

Default ASA Sniper Review

Capture.JPG

I received my ASA Sniper in matte black Saturday, and here is my initial review. Just one pic (above), and it's not a very good one, but I'll try to take some better ones and post them below.

Information on material and the pen's precise dimensions can be found here: http://asapens.in/es...e?search=sniper (No affiliation, other than that of a satisfied customer)

What made me decide to order one was the appearance in the photos from the ASA website, and the initial appearance when I opened the envelope and dug through the multiple layers of packing and protection was very favorable. The ebonite finish is very regular and just rough enough to provide a good grip on the section; no slippage at all. Clear demonstrators are also available. The barrel has the name "Sniper" engraved on it, and below that, "ASA Pens India 2015." The Jowo #5 nib in enclosed in a hooded section that screws into the barrel, and there are a lot of threads between the ink inside and the outside world. The cap screws on and posts securely. The clip is firmly attached, and there is no filial.

Make no mistake, this is a big pen. The capped length is almost identical with that of a Jinhao 159, and both posted and unposted, it is about 10 mm longer than a 159. However, it is not a heavy pen. The barrel and section diameters are slightly less than those of the 159. I have large paws, and I don't like really skinny writing tools (like the classic Cross chrome BP and mechanical pencil), but beyond that, I'm pretty easy to please; the pens in my arsenal have a fairly wide range of diameters, weights, and balances (I can write just fine with the TWSBI 580 posted, for example). Besides that, I have an unusual grip, with the pen resting between my index and middle fingers. The Sniper slots into my hand like it belongs there. I just got done writing a two-page letter with no hint of fatigue.

The Jowo nibs are a known quantity on these forums. I went for the fine-point; medium, bold, and 1.1-mm are also available. It writes with a thicker line than the Japanese fine-point nibs, about the same as the medium nib on my old Sailor 21 pocket pen, but I knew about this, and I'm not at all disappointed with the line that it lays down. The pen is a 3-in-1 filler, taking either a Schmidt K5 converter, or a cartridge (presumably standard international size, but the company website does not specify), or a shot of ink directly into the barrel. I happen to like the simplicity of eyedropper filling, so I shot a dropper-full of Black Cashmere into the barrel, greased the section threads, screwed the section back on, and after a few seconds of light scribbling, the ink was flowing, and it was ready to write. The procedure is the same when the pen has been stored point-up; the ink drains away, and it takes a few (but only a few) seconds for the ink to get back to the point of the nib. Once the ink is flowing, the pen writes very well -- no runs, no skips, no drips. I know for sure that the barrel is nowhere full (in other words, there's a lot of air in there), but there has been no hint of burping. I haven't tested it for how long it can stay uncapped without drying out, but when I was writing my letter, there were uncapped pauses, and when I picked it up again, it was immediately ready to write.

In summary, this is a very good-looking pen that is very pleasant to use. At $55, including shipping from Chennai to the U.S., this one is a keeper.
    Last edited by DaveBj; April 19th, 2015 at 08:53 PM.
    In my mug: Sailor 21 P-P M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger T-W M, Jinhao 159 , Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsities, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Ahab 1.1, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M, Hero 616 M, Jinhao X750

31 and counting

DaveBj

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DaveBj For This Useful Post:

CoffeeForTheAdmiral (November 29th, 2021), Crazyorange (April 19th, 2015), Jeph (April 20th, 2015), Potter (April 20th, 2015), TerraNoir (April 20th, 2015)

Thanks

Default Re: ASA Sniper Review

So I was wondering...How was the shipping time from you placing your order til you received it? I have been looking at this company for a while now. But I'm a little nervous about ordering from overseas. I haven't even ordered a Mr. Pen's Italix yet. Haha!

Thanks for your feedback and review

Thanks

I actually placed the order back at the end of February or the beginning of March, before it actually went into production, based on photos of the prototype. The actual time in transit from Chennai was only eight days. Now that the pens are actually in production and in stock, obviously it's not going to take two months, but I can't speak to exactly how long it will take between clicking "order" and having the envelope land in your mailbox.
    In my mug: Sailor 21 P-P M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger T-W M, Jinhao 159 , Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsities, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Ahab 1.1, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M, Hero 616 M, Jinhao X750

31 and counting

DaveBj

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TerraNoir View Post
    So I was wondering...How was the shipping time from you placing your order til you received it? I have been looking at this company for a while now. But I'm a little nervous about ordering from overseas. I haven't even ordered a Mr. Pen's Italix yet. Haha!

Thanks for your feedback and review
    I've alway found Mr Subramaniam to be very quick off the mark with his deliveries, if it's in stock on his asapens.in website they usually arrive in the UK within the week, I've got four of his pens and if you need anything special he'll do his best to help, when I wanted a Gama Hawk in matt ebonite without a clip he got one made for me!

Thanks

Here are some more pictures, comparing the Sniper with the Jinhao 159:
    AAASniper1.jpg
    AAASniper2.jpg
    AAASniper3.jpg

31 and counting

DaveBj

Thanks

I ordered a galactic fountain pen. From order to delivery was three weeks, and it's a great big pen.