Thread: How to protect yourself when buying a pen online from this forum?

Thanks

Default How to protect yourself when buying a pen online from this forum?

Hi

I am new here and was wondering what the best way to buy from the "For Sale" forum is.
    Is Paypal the best way to exchange money? Is there a formal process for ensuring both parties are protected?

Ian

Thanks

Default Re: How to protect yourself when buying a pen online from this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by iygeek View Post
    Hi

I am new here and was wondering what the best way to buy from the "For Sale" forum is.
    Is Paypal the best way to exchange money? Is there a formal process for ensuring both parties are protected?

Ian
    -Use Paypal
    -Take the time to read their terms and conditions to understand how you are protected as a buyer/seller
    -Follow their requirements exactly (ship to confirmed addresses, use tracking/signature confirmation when required, etc)
    -Never send money as a gift or as payment to a family/friend...it may save you the transaction fee, but at the expense of your protection.
    -Know who you're dealing with (I do a Google search for the person's name, check their LinkedIn profile, and look for anything unusual).
    -Never make exceptions to any of the above. If someone is honest and trustworthy, they'll respect your exercise of caution.

I've completed more than 1000 person-to-person transactions since 2003 (when I registered on Paypal) and have never had a bad experience when following the criteria I mentioned above.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mmahany For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (April 23rd, 2015), Chrissy (April 20th, 2015), Jon Szanto (April 20th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Also welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. Take part in discussions so that the folk can get to know you and you them.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (April 23rd, 2015), Jon Szanto (April 20th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

I use Paypal and use the "pay for goods or merchandise option."

Honestly buying from folks here, if they have good reputation, are active, etc I really don't worry about it. I still use paypal, not doing stupid stuff, but the established members here have a reputation to protect and aren't out to scam people. Someone recently joked with me that there are fixed number of pens on here and we just sell them around in a circle to one another.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (April 23rd, 2015), ChrisC (April 21st, 2015), nico (April 20th, 2015)

Thanks

Everyone. Thanks for all the great advice.