Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default KrazyIvan's Hand Written Review - Italix Parson's Essential

Italix Parsons Essential 1 by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Italix Parsons Essential 2 by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Italix Parsons Essential 3 by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Italix Parsons Essential 4 by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Italix Parsons Essential 5 by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Italix Parson's Essential by IvanRomero, on Flickr

As always, you can see my reviews before they hit the forums and with the full set of pictures at my blog, http://inktronics.posterous.com/
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

85AKbN (December 30th, 2013), Glennhkc (August 2nd, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Nice review of a nice pen.

Thanks

Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

I got to take Doc Brown's Italix for a spin in DC. Lovely writer.

I hope you write an oscar-winning screenplay with that pen, Ivan.

Thanks

Oscar winning screen play? I would be lucky if I could write a manoeuver winning review.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Terrific review, terrific pen. I first saw the pen on Doc Brown's video and bought it. I love it. I have the right oblique nib.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

Cool An Italix for less

Hi Ivan, I also saw this pen reviewed at Stephen's YouTube. I was impressed but let it drift towards the back of my mind since I had more immediate goals in mind for my next few pens. Then end of this week just past I saw on eBay an Italix at auction and the bid when I tuned in was like $25.00. And stayed that way for some while. So I went ahead and placed a bid of $30 and that took it to $27.00. Then it stayed at $27.00 for 2 days. I figured that there was one or more lurkers ready to snipe this pen at the last 5 seconds. So I upped my bid to $47.01 on Auction Sniper and waited out the auction, which I won for $38.00! Plus $4 shipping. So for $42.00 I have coming an Italix Parson's Essential. Sometimes the gods do smile.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,744 Posts

Very nice review of a pen that seems intriguing. The dot pad seems to show off the writing. Thanks.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saintpaulia View Post
    Hi Ivan, I also saw this pen reviewed at Stephen's YouTube. I was impressed but let it drift towards the back of my mind since I had more immediate goals in mind for my next few pens. Then end of this week just past I saw on eBay an Italix at auction and the bid when I tuned in was like $25.00. And stayed that way for some while. So I went ahead and placed a bid of $30 and that took it to $27.00. Then it stayed at $27.00 for 2 days. I figured that there was one or more lurkers ready to snipe this pen at the last 5 seconds. So I upped my bid to $47.01 on Auction Sniper and waited out the auction, which I won for $38.00! Plus $4 shipping. So for $42.00 I have coming an Italix Parson's Essential. Sometimes the gods do smile.
    Considering your past experience with scratchy nibs, If you purchased with the italic nib, be forewarned, you will have to be very disciplined at holding the pen at the proper writing angle. It is a crisp italic, meaning that the edges are sharp. If you are not careful, it will dig into the paper. When you hold it properly, it will reward you with a super wet and smooth writing experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Very nice review of a pen that seems intriguing. The dot pad seems to show off the writing. Thanks.
    Thank you Doc.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Ivan, since you say this is a pretty wet writer, I'm wondering: I've been looking to get a pen that would be specifically dedicated to using ESSRI iron gall ink. I don't know if you can answer this, but would you think this pen a good candidate?

Thanks

Question Italic nib?

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Considering your past experience with scratchy nibs, If you purchased with the italic nib, be forewarned, you will have to be very disciplined at holding the pen at the proper writing angle. It is a crisp italic, meaning that the edges are sharp. If you are not careful, it will dig into the paper. When you hold it properly, it will reward you with a super wet and smooth writing experience.
    Thank you Doc.
    Ivan, I am not really sure just what nib I got! Here's the description:
    "Italix Parson's Essential, Fountain Pen from Mr Pen, England
    In Black Laquer with Gold Trim - Medium two-tone nib size, German
    Includes twist ink converter and ink cartridge
    Nib is very smooth, with excellent ink flow, see photos
    Condition is excellent, with no signs of usage
    Medium weight pen, medium girth
    Tested here with Levenger Skies of Blue".

I've been to the Mr. Pen website and seen all the choices for a nib but don't know that this one is a crisp italic. I didn't think it was...I include the writing sample photo attached. Can you see from it what the nib is? Thanks for your concern for me. Breck

Thanks

Okay, looks like a regular medium nib. The italic is also a medium nib that has been ground to an italic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Okay, looks like a regular medium nib. The italic is also a medium nib that has been ground to an italic.
    Whew! Good. I was thinking and hoping it was not a crisp italic. As you rightly judged I am not quite ready for Prime Time.

Thanks

Default Update

OK. My Italix arrived a few days ago. It is definitely a plain medium nib and not italicized. It came with a converter and an anonymous short international cartridge. I put the cartridge in the pen and found that the pen, while very smooth, was skipping and stalling and generally behaving rather cranky. So I washed that ink out (whatever it was) and put in some Waterman Florida Blue. Then tried the pen again. Voila! Problems gone.

This pen is very wet. And very, very, very SMOOTH. It is in fact the smoothest pen I've ever written with, but running a close tie with my old Namiki Falcon, soft medium. As I wrote across the page (Rhodia, 80 gram) I noticed a sound that Stephen Brown has described but which I had never heard - I knew though that this is what he meant by "singing". The nib sings as it writes. There really is a difference between this sound and what a scratchy pen makes.

I was surprised when I weighed it. It came in at a heavy 36.39 grams. That is about 4 grams heavier than my next heaviest pens, my all-metal Chinese models. I thought they were heavy. However, this pen does not feel that heavy. It must be its balance. It feels very comfortable to write with and I have small hands, and not very strong ones either.

Ivan, would you happen to know who makes the nibs for this pen maker? Or do they make their own? Anyway, that's my little review of the one I bought.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saintpaulia View Post
    OK. My Italix arrived a few days ago. It is definitely a plain medium nib and not italicized. It came with a converter and an anonymous short international cartridge. I put the cartridge in the pen and found that the pen, while very smooth, was skipping and stalling and generally behaving rather cranky. So I washed that ink out (whatever it was) and put in some Waterman Florida Blue. Then tried the pen again. Voila! Problems gone.

This pen is very wet. And very, very, very SMOOTH. It is in fact the smoothest pen I've ever written with, but running a close tie with my old Namiki Falcon, soft medium. As I wrote across the page (Rhodia, 80 gram) I noticed a sound that Stephen Brown has described but which I had never heard - I knew though that this is what he meant by "singing". The nib sings as it writes. There really is a difference between this sound and what a scratchy pen makes.

I was surprised when I weighed it. It came in at a heavy 36.39 grams. That is about 4 grams heavier than my next heaviest pens, my all-metal Chinese models. I thought they were heavy. However, this pen does not feel that heavy. It must be its balance. It feels very comfortable to write with and I have small hands, and not very strong ones either.

Ivan, would you happen to know who makes the nibs for this pen maker? Or do they make their own? Anyway, that's my little review of the one I bought.
    The nib is of unknown origin and an "IPG" nib. "Iridium Point Germany" nibs have a somewhat infamous reputation because their lineage cannot be traced easily. Just looking at the nib, I would say it is a Knox or JoWo nib but I cannot say with certainty.

Thanks

I have this pen in the amber finish with a plain medium nib. It is a beautiful pen which smoothly lays down a delicious wet line. Your review is spot-on and I agree with everything you've said.
    Thank you
    Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

Thanks

Default Re: KrazyIvan's Hand Written Review - Italix Parson's Essential

I'm finally getting around to purchasing this pen after enjoying the Italix "Prescriptor" and "Captain's Commission" pens. I thought I'd try the amber finish with a fine italic after excellent results with Peter Ford's medium cursive and medium italic grinds of stock JoWo nibs . Great pens for a great price even with the cost of the shipping. I look forward to receiving the pen order and posting my experience with it. Thanks for the great review, Ivan.
    Last edited by Glennhkc; August 2nd, 2015 at 05:59 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Glennhkc For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (August 2nd, 2015)