Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stub nib in a daily writer?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Re: Stub nib in a daily writer?

I do like a little italic to a nib, but generally I tend to prefer just your standard fine or extra-fine nibs. I do find that if I get a larger nib size, such as B, I can't stand it if it's not an italic, for example the 14K B on my Pelikan 140 does a broad line down, but a thin extra-fine line across, I find that much more tolerable to me than using the 18K B on my M805 or the steel 1.0 stub I used on my M250 (which is closer to an F across, an slightly thicker on the downstroke than the B).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark9117 View Post
    Does anybody use these broad stubs for daily writing (as opposed to calligraphic endeavors)?
    A large part of my daily writing is with an Edison Collier 1.1, Italix Parsons Essential meb. stub and A TWSBI classic 1.1 so it is certainly possible. Only thing you have to watch out for if somebody hands you an unknown piece (type) of paper to write on, it may not like your pen & ink. For those situations, I always carry a Preppey medium with Salix and a KaWeCo AlSport medium with 4001 BB.
    here men from the pennet earth
    first set nib on the moon
    we came in peace for all penknid

Thanks

I have one stub nib, a 1.1mm on a Monteverde Impressa. It is nice, it adds a bit of flair without any real effort, and I do use it for non-calligraphy writing, but not very regularly. Maybe I just need to figure out exactly how I want to use it, since it is different from the rest of my pens.

Thanks

My favorite inexpensive CI is a Lamy with a 1.1 italic nib. The corners of the Lamy italic nib are not sharp, so it is easy for me to write cursive/script with it. I always have one of my Lamys with a 1.1 nib on it, though the best feel (for me) is in the joy.
    My other inexpensive stub is a Pilot 78G with a B/stub nib. The B nib measures about the same width as a Lamy 1.1.

But for me, a stub/CI puts down too much ink for regular use.
    I found for most of MY writing, I prefer a F or M nib.
    I reserve the stub/CI nibs for special writing where I want the effect of an ink line with a changing width.
    Although I suppose if I stuck to it, I could change to any nib that I wanted to, as my primary nib.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

When I look for a pen, a stub or italic can be what pushes me over the edge to buy. 1.1 is my favorite.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    Yup. 80% of my pens are italics or italic-like (antique Pelikan nibs have very flat tipping that gives a stub like writing experience on anything bigger than an M). These are my everyday writers.

However, to be clear, I write almost exclusively on Tomoe river paper. I stopped using cheap paper a long while ago. I have italics ground from nibs in size F to BBB. So I've got all the sizes I like. I just prefer italics, they are totally my everyday writers.
    Couldn't agree more... I got hold (several years ago) of one old Pelikan 140 pen with one such nib (M), writes sort of stub-ish and it is just ... sublime...
    The feel is there due to the bent nib (slight downward curvature of the nib, as well as the tipping that is (to my feeling) rather flat, as pointed out in the quoted post.
    If I would send my nibs (on various pens) for grinding and possible slight bending downwards, I would love to find someone who can do a good job in emulating this nib.

Unfortunately, sometimes - due to the old ebonite feed and pen being disassembled earlier (nib & feed section) it writes a tad too wet, but still manageable.

Thanks

For a 1.1 stub It's one of the best for daily writing as it gives a touch of flair to one's writing. Wider is somewhat impractical after that.

Thanks

I really like a good stub nib. Latest acquisition: a Pilot Vanishing Point (2018 LE "Crossed Lines") with a factory .7mm stub nib. Writes quite nicely and is a good daily writer.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

Mark9117: you are not alone. All of my daily writers are 1.1 stubs or cursive italics. I use these nibs to make my psychotic scribbling appear as if it were made by a saner sort.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

inklord (October 20th, 2018)

Thanks

I adore stubs and if offered the chance will always get one when buying a new pen - Pelikan IB, Edison factory stub, music nibs (if they count). It's not so often you get the chance! And I use them for daily work. The only thing I don't like stubs for is accounting - numbers seem to need a Japanese medium or fine. (That may just be me. I dunno.)

Cursive italics I find a bit crisper and just on the edge of what makes a good every day nib. For me, CI are more fun to write with but require a bit more attention.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I still enjoy my stubs. I have been getting rid of pens and one of the main deciding factors is whether it is a stub or not.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

It just occurred to me though. If you love your stubs... you probably spend a good bit more on paper and ink supplies than the guys who love UEFs.

I know I do :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

My most favorite go-to writer is a Montblanc 344G that I bought from our own Piscov.

In normal mode it has this beautiful stub character that is hard to describe how lovely it is when writing.

- Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    My most favorite go-to writer is a Montblanc 344G that I bought from our own Piscov.

In normal mode it has this beautiful stub character that is hard to describe how lovely it is when writing.

I got a 1950s Export Pelikan 140 from him that had a semi-flex broad on it, that he himself ground to a cursive italic (didn't know til a little later that it was his own grind, but it was smood with a rather sharp looking cross stroke)

The second one from the left, last one in the second picture :

I don't presently have the 140 inked at the moment, so the only stub I have inked right now is my Danitrio Mae West, not exactly something I take out of the house since it's a cigar style pen.

Not as likely to use above a 1.0mm stub for everyday writing, but if it's closer to a cursive italic (sharper cross stroke) and 1.0 or less on the downstroke I could easily see myself using that daily.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

penwash (October 19th, 2018)

Thanks

Can we even have a discussion about stub nib Montblancs without mentioning my favorite pen to play with?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

KBeezie (October 19th, 2018), penwash (October 19th, 2018), Robert (October 19th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Can we even have a discussion about stub nib Montblancs without mentioning my favorite pen to play with?

I love that pen!!
    - Will

Thanks

Thic...

Thanks

i'm essentially regrinding all my M and B nibs into stubs, a few into a more crisp cursive italic, mainly because my favorite notebook brand uses an uncoated paper by munken that makes the lines widen a little (not feathering, the lines are very clean, just a tad wider); the regrinding makes my handwriting more crisp on this paper. so, yes, stubs and italics work for me as daily writers...

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inklord For This Useful Post:

AzJon (October 20th, 2018), penwash (October 20th, 2018)

Thanks

Meh, I like stubs, I have a Lamy 1.1 but my tiny handwriting doesn't work well with it.
    I tried to look up some easy lessons, or ideas to copy a nice script, to no avail.

I still quite fancy it for signatures and Italic handwriting for leisure though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aquafox View Post
    Meh, I like stubs, I have a Lamy 1.1 but my tiny handwriting doesn't work well with it.
    I tried to look up some easy lessons, or ideas to copy a nice script, to no avail.

I still quite fancy it for signatures and Italic handwriting for leisure though.
    As implied in the comments above, there are stub nibs that are way less than 1.1mm wide.
    - Will

25. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

KBeezie (October 20th, 2018)