Thread: Waterman Le Man 200

Thanks

Default Waterman Le Man 200

I am thinking about buying this pen. It is second hand with a 18ct medium nib. I have a big hand and long fingers and whilst I dont mind a thin pen the thicker pens like the Lamy Al Star feel good in the hand. I have a couple of quality pens (Platinum 3776 and a Sheaffer Targa) but I am tossing up between going one more good quality pen or getting a new TSWBI 580 with an Italic nib. I also like the Waterman Carene. Any comments on the Le man 200 and the Carene and a rough estimate of a reasonable price for these pens in very good condition (used) would be appreciated.
    “When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.

Thanks

Default Re: Waterman Le Man 200

If the 3776 and Targa fit your hand the Man 200 will also fit. It is fairly long but somewhat slender. If you prefer the size of the Al Star then a Man 100 will feel like the nicest pen made. The Carene is a full size (not oversize). Carenes are heaviest of the pens you mentioned. The Man 1 has almost identical dimensions to the TWSBI 5 series.

I've had many Man 1, Man 2 and Carenes, both new and very well worn. All Man and Carene nibs are, or should and can be, as smooth as any nib made. The flow always seems perfect. Man 2 nibs are somewhat soft; Carene nibs are very firm. They come in every nib size except broad italic. The Man 2 uses the same nib (plating varies) as the Gentleman and Exception Slim.

I think the altuglas Man 2 mineral rhapsodies are extremely beautiful. Personal size preference leads me to favor the Man 100. And the M 1's larger nibs are softer (the later, globe style nibs are firm).

My daughters love the looks of the Carene, though it has a lot of features I wouldn't normally like. I has heft, faired-in firm nib, pointy ends, sleek modern looks and feels like metal. Despite this, I think the Carene is one of the great modern pens (along with the Man 1. The Man 2 is slightly behind) and I always enjoy using one.

I have on old beat up Carene F that will write on wet lumber, kraft paper and Rhodia all in the span of minutes, always flow perfectly and never skip.

Plating loss on the Man nib collar is a common problem. If that doesn't matter to you then Man 2 prices aren't much more than a new 580.
    Prices for the normal Carene models are similar.
    I hear complaints of Carene sections and nibs leaking from the sides. I've never experienced it. But the nib is glued, and depends on the glue to keep the ink in its place so I can see how it happens.

I've had about six or eight TWSBI 5 series. I've had almost all of the caps fall apart, and almost all of the sections crack or otherwise leak all over my hands. But the customer service is unmatched. They have new caps. And using sealant to pretty much glue the feed-holder into the barrels has fixed the leaking. I usually have a 5xx inked, and always have a Vac 700 (1.1 or 1.5) in rotation.

Have fun,
    Craig
    Last edited by broadoblique; May 3rd, 2015 at 09:32 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to broadoblique For This Useful Post:

Laurie (May 12th, 2015), stub (October 22nd, 2015)

Thanks

Thanks very much Craig for your most informative post. I only posted because I couldnt find many reviews on this pen. I am like your daughters and love the look of the Carene. But I have a Sheaffer Targa which also has that inlaid nib which is just lovely. Targa is a bit narrow but writes beautifully. I also read about the TSWBi cracking problems and it seems that have changed the design with some metal sections to cure the problem. I just watched a review by a young lady who loved the pen despite the fact that it wouldnt write without leaving some gap at the top where the plunger feed screws in and out. I also heard they give great service. I am very undecided and my intention was to buy one with a 1.1 Italic nib and buy a spare M nib. The nibs arent expensive and very easy to exchanged. I am exploring some other options and have posted on the Pens in general forum to get a bit of feed back. I would like to have another quality pen though even if I have to pay up to $120. Another possible choice I have researched is the Aurora Ipsilon which gets some very good reviews.
    I am very apreciate of all the feed back this forum provides and I use it with my own research to make my decisions.
    “When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.

Thanks

I can only agree to ink flow and smoothness of Waterman pens. My Carene is really awesome in this respect.
    However I feel I don't use it so much, because it has an extremely stiff nib and when I write with it, it feels like writing with a rollerbal.
    Maybe the Man 100 would be different.
    You could also try a girthier Sheaffer. My Sheaffers are probably the best writers I have. There are lots of version in the girth of a Carene.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tipen For This Useful Post:

RuiFromUK (September 25th, 2015)

Thanks

I think the Carene is OK. I have four with EF, F, M and L (broad) nibs. I was attracted because of the shimmer finishes of the Sea Garden green and Amber Marine burnt sienna finishes. Alas, the caps don't post, so I don't carry them anywhere, fearing having a cap roll around and be damaged. The one I use is a black pen I put together from a rollerball cap and barrel, replacing the inner cap of the rollerball with a fountain pen inner cap and an extra fine section from nibs.com. It sits in a black onyx Sheaffer Imperial desk pen base, and works perfectly this way.

The Man 100 and Man 200 pens are beautiful, and other Waterman pens I have are much better than average pens.

If you only plan on acquiring one more pen, and if you don't already have one, you might pursue a Parker 51. I have never found a better pen.

Thanks

I had a Le Man 100 pen in the past (which I probably should never have sold). My two complaints were the weight of the pen, and the nail like experience of the nib. It was a very well made and classy pen though, which I used for several years.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by broadoblique View Post
    If that doesn't matter to you then Man 2 prices aren't much more than a new 580.
    Please, where is this magical place where Man 2s are only a little more than Twsbi 580s? I really would like to know. I have been on the lookout for a springy M Man 1, Man 2 or Gentleman and the prices I see are double (at least) that of a 580.

Thanks

I've had a number of Man 200's. It would have to be excellent in the correct box to get me to pay more than $90 for a Rhapsody or Altuglas and $70 for a black.
    If the nib collar is corroded or missing plating I wouldn't pay more than $60.
    When I sell them off I get about the same prices. So I know good user grade pens are out there at reasonable prices.

Even better prices for soft Man nibs are the early 1970's models with the nibs marked 6 - the Super 6 and early Man and early Gentleman, usually with a plastic body.

Thanks

I've had a number of Man 200's. It would have to be excellent in the correct box to get me to pay more than $90 for a Rhapsody or Altuglas and $70 for a black.
    If the nib collar is corroded or missing plating I wouldn't pay more than $60.
    When I sell them off I get about the same prices. So I know good user grade pens are out there at reasonable prices.
    Please let me know if you are selling any soon or see any at those prices. You must have some epic vintage pen search foo. Honestly the best deals I find on vintage user grades are on here in the classifieds. But even here I don't see Man 100/200/Rhapsody pens for those prices.

Even better prices for soft Man nibs are the early 1970's models with the nibs marked 6 - the Super 6 and early Man and early Gentleman, usually with a plastic body.
    In fact I been looking for, and prefer those. I like those Super 6 nibs like on the Man 21 but again, next time I find one for less than $60 (or $90) will be the first time. I'd like to know where you look because it certainly isn't eBay, FPN or vintage dealers on line. I only started looking at Man 100s after giving up on finding a nice springy Super 6.

Thanks

I've gotten them on ebay, here on the forum, and antique auctions.
    I'll look, but I think I sold all my redundant Mans and Super Sixes over the last couple of years.
    I sold mine at auction on ebay for the same prices I mentioned. I don't think they've appreciated any in the last year.
    Good luck!