Thread: "New" desk, Need Writing Surface Advice

Thanks

Default "New" desk, Need Writing Surface Advice

Ran across this desk in a consignment store. I've never used a slant-top desk before. The lip on the edge of the desk is uncomfortable on my arm. Any advice on how to mitigate this? I was thinking about maybe some MDF and glue some leather on the sides, to lay on the desktop. That would raise the writing surface so my arm doesn't contact the lip. Seems like keeping the paper from sliding down the desktop might be kind of a pain. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kent

Last edited by kbrede; May 4th, 2015 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Default Re: "New" desk, Need Writing Surface Advice

I'm assuming the lip is to keep pens and paper from sliding right off but it does look uncomfortable. I'm not a fan of the slanted surface, it just doesn't work for me. But I think I'd add a padded leather (or fake leather) "bumper" over that hard wood lip. Though the wood might still poke through the padding.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

kbrede (May 4th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 819 Posts

If it were mine I would find a piece of mdf or similar as you suggested the thickness of the trim and cover it with skiver a thin piece of leather usually goat or lamb skin.
    You could also use what is called grey board in the UK I get it from an art supplier it is a thick dense card and laminate it to the required thickness again covering in leather then maybe a set of brass corners.
    Cartridge paper could be used with either backing to save on the cost of leather.
    looking forward to seeing what you do,

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Inkflow (March 2nd, 2021), kbrede (May 4th, 2015)

Thanks

I use and usually recommend Alvin Vyco drawing board covers. I'm not sure even the translucent would work aesthetically with that style desk. As always YMMV.

Thanks

I had a beat-up old slant-top desk when I was growing up, and I don't remember my arm being anywhere near that ledge when I was writing. I sat close enough that my elbow cleared the edge by a couple of inches, and the writing paper sat closer to the top of the slant. I was a teenager, though, so the proportions were probably quite different than those of an adult male.

I would also use a board to raise the height of the writing surface to hold it close to the height of the ledge. If you don't want to use leather (can be very expensive and hard to find) simple deskblotter paper is a really nice writing surface. Although it is also hard to find now, too. To hold the board in place as you write, some no-skid drawer liner material would keep it practically glued to the surface.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to elaineb For This Useful Post:

kbrede (May 4th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I'm going to go the other way with regard to advice and suggest and encourage you to develop the habit of not leaning on your arm! Go on, try writing with just your 4th and 5th fingertips of your pen hand touching the desk.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

kbrede (May 4th, 2015)

Thanks

There's certainly a range of healthy postures between slouching on your writing arm with all your weight and just using your fingers to make itty-bitty little marks on the paper and doing the polished penman "just 4th and 5th fingers, use my whole arm and do calligraphy" position. Balancing some of your weight on your writing arm can be perfectly fine, especially if you move your arm as you write across the page. I'd worry if someone suddenly started to use the calligraphy position for hours without someone experienced checking his posture, because it's a sure bet that all the tension would live in his shoulder and possibly cause RSI. (As a former musician, we worry about such things. Little changes can cause huge damage. Moving a balance point like that without adjusting the full body position to accommodate the change in muscle usage has caused many problems for both myself and my friends over the years.)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to elaineb For This Useful Post:

kbrede (May 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptos View Post
    I'm going to go the other way with regard to advice
    I'll go an even different way. My first thought is why someone would purchase a desk that is uncomfortable.

If it hasn't been purchased yet, I'd consider something a bit more comfortable.
    If it's already been purchased and it's in the house, I'd look to see if the trim pieces (the ones causing discomfort) could be removed.

As a last resort, I'd look into a thicker desk pad that combats the lower lip.
    Of note: the Artistic brand desk pads (the ones sold in Staples) will likely be too thin. I own one and it doesn't have much padding underneath.

Thanks

It may be tacky but I would just find a really cool towel! That is a very nice desk!!!

Thanks

I suppose the molding is glued on? I had a writing slope that had those but were screwed on, I took it off and re- stained.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I'd worry if someone suddenly started to use the calligraphy position for hours without someone experienced checking his posture, because it's a sure bet that all the tension would live in his shoulder and possibly cause RSI. (As a former musician, we worry about such things. Little changes can cause huge damage. Moving a balance point like that without adjusting the full body position to accommodate the change in muscle usage has caused many problems for both myself and my friends over the years.)
    Being a long time serious taijiquan practitioner I have trained my body to work as a harmonious whole, without tension, so I hadn't thought of it that way. Good point, elaineb.