Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: San Francisco Pen Show - 2015 Update

Thanks

Default Re: San Francisco Pen Show - 2015 Update

Too bad I'm going to miss it. Next year for sure.

Thanks

All future pen shows will be compared to this year's SF Pen Show!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

I'm going to do my very best to document at least some of the proceedings and do a proper Pen Show report. I can tell you that, after a nearly ten-hour pretty ugly drive, it is all worth it. Within no time at all you are among friends, saying hello to all those people you chat with and buy from and whatnot online, and there they are, sharing food and drinks and hugs and good times. And the pens (for the most part) haven't even made it to the table.

I was in the ballroom (showroom) tonight, and it is completely full (last year was around 3/4 or so). Going to be a great couple of days! Pen shows RULE! Oh, and the view from the room tonight...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (August 28th, 2015), da vinci (August 29th, 2015), franzdimson (August 29th, 2015), MY63 (August 28th, 2015), reprieve (August 28th, 2015), rpsyed (September 3rd, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Jon can you take some pics at nibs.com table?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyorange View Post
    Jon can you take some pics at nibs.com table?
    They aren't here at the show. Weren't at DC, either. I think the only show they have planned is LA in February.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (August 28th, 2015)

Thanks

Never been to a show before but I am finally going to be in town when this thing is happening for the first time in like 4 years. Any advice for someone who has a few nibs that they'd like worked on? I assume that involves showing up really early and standing in line for awhile. Any idea how early and how long? And how many nibs one could realistically have worked in the course of the day/how many nibmeisters I could visit? Also, are there any other services available at the shows beyond nib work? I have a beautiful lapis Endura that I barely use because it has an annoying rattle in the filling system somewhere, and I'd like to get that fixed, if that's even possible. Otherwise I plan on walking around wide-eyed and covetous.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aschup View Post
    Never been to a show before but I am finally going to be in town when this thing is happening for the first time in like 4 years. Any advice for someone who has a few nibs that they'd like worked on? I assume that involves showing up really early and standing in line for awhile. Any idea how early and how long? And how many nibs one could realistically have worked in the course of the day/how many nibmeisters I could visit? Also, are there any other services available at the shows beyond nib work? I have a beautiful lapis Endura that I barely use because it has an annoying rattle in the filling system somewhere, and I'd like to get that fixed, if that's even possible. Otherwise I plan on walking around wide-eyed and covetous.
    I believe there is only one nib guy actively working on pens, and that is Mike Masuyama. I have no idea how the crowd size will be tomorrow for the first public day, but Mike didn't have a big line today. OTOH, they usually have a number system and you just check to see who's next. You should be able to get a couple things done, I imagine.

As to the repairs, I don't know that anyone is "officially" doing on-site repairs, but there is a pen seminar at 1:30 tomorrow by Ricky Chau and Loren Smith on basic pen repairs, etc, so maybe that. Also, you could just ask some of the vintage vendors, and there are many people who do this stuff, like Sherrel Tyree and Joel Hamilton floating around. Friday was a lot of fun, you'll have a good time.

~ Benjamin Franklin

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

aschup (August 28th, 2015)

Thanks

Excellent, thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

I've gotta say, I've had more fun on the first day of the SF Show than I did in 3 days at DC. Next year, I'll have to decide if I want to skip LA or DC so I can ensure I make SF. It's that good. I can't wait to see what Saturday and Sunday have in store.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

franzdimson (August 29th, 2015), Jon Szanto (August 29th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    I've gotta say, I've had more fun on the first day of the SF Show than I did in 3 days at DC. Next year, I'll have to decide if I want to skip LA or DC so I can ensure I make SF. It's that good. I can't wait to see what Saturday and Sunday have in store.
    Say more.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

That's a big call given everything I've read about DC. What's driving the fun factor?

Thanks

It's the secret sauce...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    And I'll bet that you'll concur that, as good as the Trader Day was, the show really took off today! Manmanmanman, this is so much fun! Great people, lots of variety to the pens, a fantastic mix of old and new, bunches of inks via Andersons and Vanness, wow.

And the ink testing stations today! My gods, there were people all over them, and they seem to be working very well. 500 pens, inked up with 500 different inks (including a number of unobtanium inks). The displays are really cool: the cap is anchored into the base, and the pens unscrew out and lift up. Lots of paper on the tables, five tables with 100 pens each, and alphabetical listings of the inks on all the tables. Absolutely more fun than humans should be allowed to have...

After I get home at the beginning of the week I'll try to do a proper report. Suffice to say that the pens and the people are creating an environment that is joyful and exciting!

Last edited by Jon Szanto; August 30th, 2015 at 12:26 AM.

~ Benjamin Franklin

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (August 30th, 2015), da vinci (August 30th, 2015), franzdimson (August 29th, 2015), gweddig (September 1st, 2015), rpsyed (September 3rd, 2015), youstruckgold (August 29th, 2015)

Thanks

I scored some great booty.

regards

david
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

20. The Following User Says Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

rpsyed (September 3rd, 2015)