Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ink Suggestion (everyday black; dark, quick-drying)

Thanks

Default Ink Suggestion (everyday black; dark, quick-drying)

Hey everyone! I have a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 with a fine nib that I carry with me everyday as my "everything" writing utensil. I just recently started carrying the pen for this purpose and have it inked with Noodlers X-Feather since I never know what sort of paper I'll be writing on. I'll confess that the main reason I got X-Feather is because it's CRAZY dark black and I really wanted that above all else at the time.

However, 80% of the time I'm writing on pretty FP-friendly paper and the X-Feather (not surprisingly) takes forever to dry (like 30+ seconds or more).

So, I would like some suggestions of a good all around black ink that is super dark and dries pretty quick.

Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Default Re: Ink Suggestion (everyday black; dark, quick-drying)

I like J Herbin Pearl Black

Thanks
    Thanked 2,592 Times in 1,020 Posts

Yeah, my go-to black inks are J. Herbin Perle Noire and Aurora Black, which are both dark and seem to dry quickly for me. No idea whether they feather on cheap paper, but maybe you could try samples or check some reviews.

Another thought is that I've had great performance with Pilot Black ink cartridges in my Prera. I do carry that pen with me, so I use it on all sorts of paper, and I've never once had feathering. It's fairly dark, though maybe not Aurora Black dark. Also, I've never used the bottled ink, so I'm only assuming it is the same as what's in the cartridges.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (May 5th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThirstyTurtle View Post
    Hey everyone! I have a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 with a fine nib that I carry with me everyday as my "everything" writing utensil. I just recently started carrying the pen for this purpose and have it inked with Noodlers X-Feather since I never know what sort of paper I'll be writing on. I'll confess that the main reason I got X-Feather is because it's CRAZY dark black and I really wanted that above all else at the time.

However, 80% of the time I'm writing on pretty FP-friendly paper and the X-Feather (not surprisingly) takes forever to dry (like 30+ seconds or more).

So, I would like some suggestions of a good all around black ink that is super dark and dries pretty quick.

Thank you!
    I'm waiting for a sample of X Feather to arrive and just realized reading your post that I should've looked into it's drying times before ordering. I hate slow drying inks
    "Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things
    in the world that just don't add up."
    James Magary

Thanks

My go to ink for work is X-Feather, but for FP friendly paper I use Noodler's Heart of Darkness, and when I don't have that I use Noodler's Black, HOD is faster drying, but not by that much, and NB dries much quicker than X-Feather.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akapulko2020 View Post

Thank you!
    I'm waiting for a sample of X Feather to arrive and just realized reading your post that I should've looked into it's drying times before ordering. I hate slow drying inks
    On cheaper paper dry times are actually quite good around 8 seconds, on good quality paper it can be a tad long. The good point though is its a difficult ink to get to feather, even on toilet paper it doesn't feather as much as you'd think, and I've heard it's great for calligraphy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Bud For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have less of a problem with drying times when writing in English, but my native Hebrew is written right to left which for a right handed writer presents challenges similar to a leftie writing in English.

Being able to write on cheap paper might just be worth it though.. :-)
    "Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things
    in the world that just don't add up."
    James Magary

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I like J Herbin Pearl Black
    I'll check it out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Yeah, my go-to black inks are J. Herbin Perle Noire and Aurora Black, which are both dark and seem to dry quickly for me. No idea whether they feather on cheap paper, but maybe you could try samples or check some reviews.

Another thought is that I've had great performance with Pilot Black ink cartridges in my Prera. I do carry that pen with me, so I use it on all sorts of paper, and I've never once had feathering. It's fairly dark, though maybe not Aurora Black dark. Also, I've never used the bottled ink, so I'm only assuming it is the same as what's in the cartridges.
    I'll check them both out!

Thank you!
    Well it's okay on cheap paper but on nice paper it takes FOREVER IMO. That's a side effect of anti-feathering properties though, it is absorbed slower...
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bud View Post
    My go to ink for work is X-Feather, but for FP friendly paper I use Noodler's Heart of Darkness, and when I don't have that I use Noodler's Black, HOD is faster drying, but not by that much, and NB dries much quicker than X-Feather.
    I've looked into HOD and Noodlers Black and seeing you say that HOD dries faster...I'll give that one a HARD look.

We'll thanks everyone! I'm off to read lots of reviews and probably order some samples :-)

I'll report back with my findings :-)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ThirstyTurtle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have less of a problem with drying times when writing in English, but my native Hebrew is written right to left which for a right handed writer presents challenges similar to a leftie writing in English.

Yeah, I can understand how Hebrew may cause problems, have you tried Noodler's Bernanke Black, that is super fast drying around 2 seconds, but it's not as black, black as the others, and feathers on cheaper paper. Bernanke Q-Eternity is also a lovely blue/black with same dry times.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Bud For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

If you don't need waterproof, Aurora Black.
    If you do, Noodler's Black.

Done.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

ceebert (August 25th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

Done.
    Or if you prefer Noodler's, Borealis Black. Very similar to Aurora, since I sense you like Noodler's.

Thanks

The good point though is its a difficult ink to get to feather, even on toilet paper it doesn't feather as much as you'd think, and I've heard it's great for calligraphy.
    Can I ask when or why you ...?

No, never mind. Some things are best left to the imagination.

I love this forum, though!

Thanks

N
    The good point though is its a difficult ink to get to feather, even on toilet paper it doesn't feather as much as you'd think, and I've heard it's great for calligraphy.

My work paper is the cheapest, most crappiest paper a company ever bought, and this didn't feather, not even slightly. So yes, I did actually try it on toilet paper, and yes it did feather, but nowhere near as much as you'd think. Try it, I promise you will be VERY surprised.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Bud For This Useful Post:

Laura N (May 5th, 2015)

Thanks

Done.
    Or if you prefer Noodler's, Borealis Black. Very similar to Aurora, since I sense you like Noodler's.
    Actually, I mostly don't. Pretty strongly. I grudgingly use a couple of his inks because I like the way they work. If, and when, I find substitutes I'll drop support for this line of inks entirely.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Cookies (May 5th, 2015), Laura N (May 5th, 2015)

Thanks

N

My work paper is the cheapest, most crappiest paper a company ever bought, and this didn't feather, not even slightly. So yes, I did actually try it on toilet paper, and yes it did feather, but nowhere near as much as you'd think. Try it, I promise you will be VERY surprised.
    Okay! So I have two black inks in use now. The first is Stipula Ebony Black in a very wet MB pen. It is an ink that feathers on newsprint, so I wouldn't consider it a non-feathering ink. Nonetheless, it hardly feathered at all on toilet paper (Seventh Generation recycled). It did, however, spread like the dickens! I've just learned what spread means, so I'm delighted to try that word out. Spread: when I put down the ink in a line, the line grew wider as I watched. The second black ink is Pilot black in a dry Pilot Prera with a fine nib. That's a pretty non-feathering ink, as i noted above. This one feathered just a tiny bit (hardly at all, really) and it spread much less.

My conclusion: toilet paper may be better for writing than we suppose. And a Pilot Prera is a good pen to use on it.

Thanks

Done.
    Don't need waterproof so I'll check out Aurora. Is Noodler's just as good but ALSO waterproof?

Yeah, I can understand how Hebrew may cause problems, have you tried Noodler's Bernanke Black, that is super fast drying around 2 seconds, but it's not as black, black as the others, and feathers on cheaper paper. Bernanke Q-Eternity is also a lovely blue/black with same dry times.
    I looked into Bernanke Black a bit and it's high on my list.

Done.
    I'll check out Borealis as well.

Thanks

N

Okay! So I have two black inks in use now. The first is Stipula Ebony Black in a very wet MB pen. It is an ink that feathers on newsprint, so I wouldn't consider it a non-feathering ink. Nonetheless, it hardly feathered at all on toilet paper (Seventh Generation recycled). It did, however, spread like the dickens! I've just learned what spread means, so I'm delighted to try that word out. Spread: when I put down the ink in a line, the line grew wider as I watched. The second black ink is Pilot black in a dry Pilot Prera with a fine nib. That's a pretty non-feathering ink, as i noted above. This one feathered just a tiny bit (hardly at all, really) and it spread much less.

My conclusion: toilet paper may be better for writing than we suppose. And a Pilot Prera is a good pen to use on it.
    I quite like the Pilot Black in my Varsity so maybe I'll check it out. It's certainly dark enough for my liking.

Thanks

Don't need waterproof so I'll check out Aurora. Is Noodler's just as good but ALSO waterproof?
    No. I only use Noodlers black for things like envelope addressing, postcards, etc, where the possibility of water damage to the writing can occur. Otherwise:

AURORA BLACK
    IS THE ONLY TRULY
    INCREDIBLE BLACK INK
    EVER CREATED IN THE
    HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE
    FOR FOUNTAIN PENS
    AND YOU WILL NEVER
    NEED ANOTHER BLACK INK
    UNLESS IT NEEDS TO
    BE WATERPROOF.
    FULL STOP.

~ Benjamin Franklin

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

ceebert (August 25th, 2019), ecsegarra (May 22nd, 2015)

Thanks

No. I only use Noodlers black for things like envelope addressing, postcards, etc, where the possibility of water damage to the writing can occur. Otherwise:

AURORA BLACK
    IS THE ONLY TRULY
    INCREDIBLE BLACK INK
    EVER CREATED IN THE
    HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE
    FOR FOUNTAIN PENS
    AND YOU WILL NEVER
    NEED ANOTHER BLACK INK
    UNLESS IT NEEDS TO
    BE WATERPROOF.
    FULL STOP.

This is INTENSE and I love it. I will, without a doubt, be getting a bottle or AT LEAST a sample.

Thank you!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThirstyTurtle For This Useful Post:

ecsegarra (May 22nd, 2015), Jon Szanto (May 5th, 2015)

Thanks

Yeah, well, I'd order a sample to try, we're all a bit different. In light of what I wrote, my wife has said to me more than once "You know, sometimes I think you are living in another universe!"

~ Benjamin Franklin

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (May 6th, 2015)