Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ink Suggestion (everyday black; dark, quick-drying)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Default Re: Ink Suggestion (everyday black; dark, quick-drying)

And then there's Sailor Kiwagura Nano Very Black.

Fred

Thanks

I should listen more.

Every review, every post I see, someone is carrying on about blacks. And always, someone along the way softly says “Aurora”. I should listen more.
    I work in a home for two young men with Autism. Active, and loads of documentation. They give us copier paper to write on, at least until jute prices drop. My coworkers are ballpoint-wielding scrawlers with hands of ham, and every form has been handled dozens of times, and is occasionally smeared with cookies.
    But I use fountain pens. I’m adaptable, and determined. Where would I get an italic gel-pen? I knew I could find the answer. But I should listen more.
    So: Is that particular Noodler’s a wet-ish one, or more dry-throated? Did I add water to this batch? (i should label more, too) Kiwa Guro doesn’t feather, right out of the box. Win! But the Ballpoint Boys give us transfer, and that loses legibility points with the bosses. Plus, it’s great fun to clean from an eyedropper pen. I just had the Speedball, somewhere on this desk...
    okay, okay. Aurora. wow.
    A slobbery Lamy 2000 xf lays a neat, distinct line. On work paper. No feather. No bleed through. Everything is just fine.
    A stingy Conklin stub never skips out, even in flamboyant signatures.
    Cart-fill a Liliput, and I OWN this paperwork, in a hip-pocket friendly way.

Hat tip to Joe Szanto, who pushed me over the edge. I shoulda listened. Aurora. Yes. Do. Thank you and good night.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

$&%&!! A few days ago, I filled my 1942 Sheaffer Triumph Vac-Fill XF nib with Sailor Kiwa-Guro black. (Years ago when people whispered about this unobtainium ink available only in Japan, I imported seven bottles directly from a Japanese retailer; six were snapped up by fellow FP fans.) Anyway, this stuff just would not start each time after I paused writing and laid the Triumph on my desk. I was getting frustrated by having to run a line on a scratch pad until flow resumed and then quickly shift the nib to my letter. Fed up, I emptied and thoroughly flushed the pen and refilled with my favorite black, Aurora black. Hallelujah! All is well.

I'm reminded again how ink plays a part in finding satisfaction when writing with a fountain pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 586 Posts

I've not tried a huge number of black inks, but hands-down, my favorite so far is De Atramentis Document Black. It is not only bulletproof but bombproof, and lightfast. It dries quickly, doesn't feather much at all on most cheap paper, and if you draw outlines with it and then go over it with watercolors, it will not bleed or smear even a tiny bit, unlike most if not all of Noodler's "bulletproof" blacks sometimes do, as many artists have discovered much to their dismay. It's also a rich, dark, vivid black, quite beautiful.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Pretty sure this person from 2015 has sorted their black ink needs.

& as much as I love Aurora Black, I did not find it especially 1. fast drying 2. ubiquitous 3. cheap. And the OP did ask for #1. No one ever recommends Lamy Black. I have no idea why. It is black enough, vintage safe, cheap, easy to find and dries a LOT faster than Aurora and comes in a wicked handy bottle.

Now I often use Aurora black, but beyond the long dry times, you may also know that it runs like the wind. If you have a very wet pen already you are NOT GOING TO HAVE A GOOD TIME. Therefore you might need a more reasonably flowing conservative option.

Honestly, for everyday writing Lamy black is a very nice ink.

*interesting fact about Aurora Black is that not only is it vintage safe but it doesn't even stain Parker Pliglass,

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

I'm not a fan of black inks but I have J.Herbin Pearl Black and it suits all of my back ink requirements.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I just got Lamy black a couple months ago. It's been great in a couple finicky German pens. Worked fine in the Studio. Passable in my 51 but dry. I will try it in more pens later.

Thanks

What about good old Parker Quink, assuming you don’t need waterproof permanence?