Thread: Reasonable price range for Pelikan 400nn ef?

Thanks

Default Reasonable price range for Pelikan 400nn ef?

It tortouse brown. Roughly, what should I expect to pay for such pen if I want it in good condition? Still, I buying it to use it so I can live with som minor schatches etc.
    Last edited by tnordl; May 13th, 2015 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Re: Reasonable price range for Pelikan 400nn ef?

I paid 175 for my Pelikan 400NN with a 14K Semi-Flex EF in fully restored condition from http://www.penalusa.com/#!pelikan/c6k2

When I was searching for them I was told by some on the boards that they would be around 200-ish, especially for the brown tortoise color, the green stripped version (pretty standard) seems to go for less, can probably get it down to 150 with enough hunting, but I prefer to get such kind of pens from someone who actually had them professionally restored, or to least factor in restoration cost before getting one in the wild.

It's the green striped one here, the black one with green ink window and fully rounded ends is a 140 that was $160 for me (the green striped version of the 140 would have been cheaper, where as a dark green without the stripes would have cost me nearly twice the price).

PS: There was a small discount on my 400NN, 140, and M400 because I bought all three from him at the same time from him.

Of all the pelikans I own (M250/14K M, M400/14K M, M805/18K B, 20 Silvexa/14K OB, 400NN/14K EF, 140/14K B, M640/18K M), the 400NN with the semi-flex EF is my favorite.

PS: There do exist firm EF for them, especially if they're marked as D before the size. Helps to ask for a writing sample if you have a specific preference to firm or springy for the nib.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Doodi1 (June 8th, 2015), tnordl (May 13th, 2015)

Thanks

Thanks KBeezie!

Its hard being a fountain pen noob and get a figure on how much to pay for such pen. After checking your answer I just open this page on my computer--the photos are fantastic, making me drool...

Thanks

Also I prefer the older nibs of the ones I've tried. The ones from the 90s are ok to me, still smooth as they all are, not as rigid feeling, but I get the best personal response from the two I have from the 50s, either having a little bit of that spring or going further into semi-flex.

I kind of want to hunt down a brown tortoise 400nn especially if I can just unscrew and carry over my nib to it. (with the exception of the 20 Silvexa, M805 and friction-fit version of the 140 I have, all my nibs are interchangeable with each other).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

kaisnowbird (May 14th, 2015)

Thanks

I put the quest for the 400nn ef flex tortoise on hold... my car broke down and in Norway it's going to cost a lot....

Regarding the 400nn I am getting worried that it will be a bit small for my hands... what about putting a vintage nib on a modern pelikan, then I could get it in a 800 size. Have you considered that?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tnordl View Post
    I put the quest for the 400nn ef flex tortoise on hold... my car broke down and in Norway it's going to cost a lot....

Regarding the 400nn I am getting worried that it will be a bit small for my hands... what about putting a vintage nib on a modern pelikan, then I could get it in a 800 size. Have you considered that?
    The M800 won't take any nibs smaller than it, The M600 will accept nibs from screw-type 100/200/400 (but not the 300 which is smaller in diameter than the 100/200/400/600 series).

As I own from the 140 up to the M805, the 400NN is very comfortable for me, perhaps due to it's longer length than it is due to the thickness. It's also not too thin, about average for most of the starter pens.

If you were to be able to get your hands on something like a Pelikan M200 or M400, it would be about that thickness, just longer and curvier at the end.

edit: I've also found that trying to find a semi-flex or flex nib that would fit a 400, M200/M400, etc can cost just as much as just buying the whole pen that includes it.