Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: little book for noting details about inks?

Thanks

Default little book for noting details about inks?

Somehow, I just cannot remember the name of the new little notebook designed to keep track of details about one's inks. It's the brainchild of the man behind Noodler's, I believe?

I've used a search engine, but somehow, I am not putting in the search terms.

Thank you for your help!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I think you are looking for The Inkjournal. The reviews I read did not look favorable for a fountain pen user. It seems odd to me since it is a fountain pen user (Tom Oddo of Goldspot Luxury Gifts) that designed it.
    Last edited by KrazyIvan; September 18th, 2012 at 01:25 PM.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Oh, thank you, KrazyIvan!

It seems to me that the fpgeeks liked it? I must look around for other reviews before I add another notebook to my collection, though.

Thanks again!!

Thanks

Thanks

I like the format of them, but I'd be willing to pay more to get better paper. At least I guess though it's consistently bad

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Based on that review I would have to say no.

I do make extensive ink notes in a regular comp notebook, and every time (more or less) I write something I note in the header what pen/ink combo.

Thanks for bringing this up!
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

I recently realized that my ink collection was passing thru various phases and I had varying opinions, etc. So I bought a Clairefontaine, 14.8 x 21 cm. notebook with 96 sheets and 90 grams/meter sq. and am writing down all my inks now in the inks themselves as I load them into various pens. It is good documentation. I do not see the need for a specialized notebook for such a record.
    I'm discovering vintage pens. Oh no!

Thanks

I have the ink journal, and personally like it! While it is NOT - the greatest book out there, for the money, for me it works just fine.....
    Last edited by Chi Town; October 11th, 2012 at 04:31 AM.
    Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi # 63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE F/P, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado,Genkai Nakaya Decapodl Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain!, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa Fe Style Custom "51" Made by Ralph Prather - president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club

Thanks

I am now finding problems with my Clairefontaine notebook which is called the "Basic Clairefontaine Clothbound Notebook - 5.875 x 8.25, Lined Paper - Red". I find my pens and inks skipping on the pages. Seems to start out fine and then as I write lower on down the page the skipping starts. I know some will immediately say, "Aha! oils from his hands!". Actually I more than likely have the driest hands in the Western Hemisphere. Well maybe just North America....anyway, they are so dry I cannot hold some pens that have really smooth, metallic grip sections, like the Monteverde Artista, Parker Vector, et al. I am at a loss to figure out what to do next. I cannot really use some inks on this paper.

Thanks

If the pens you are using have slight baby's bottom, Clairefontaine paper will definitely let you know it's there. As you go down the page, you may be holding the pen at a slightly different angle which makes the problem more apparent. Clairefontaine actually repels the ink, hence the longer dry times. Baby's bottom, to me, seems to be done on purpose to work with today's prevalent cheaper and more absorbent paper.

To really rule out oils, try putting something on the page between your hand and the page, an index card works well. If you get the same result, look to the baby's bottom issue next.
    Last edited by KrazyIvan; September 24th, 2012 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    If the pens you are using have slight baby's bottom, Clairefontaine paper will definitely let you know it's there. As you go down the page, you may be holding the pen at a slightly different angle which makes the problem more apparent. Clairefontaine actually repels the ink, hence the longer dry times. Baby's bottom, to me, seems to be done on purpose to work with today's prevalent cheaper and more absorbent paper.

To really rule out oils, try putting something on the page between your hand and the page, an index card works well. If you get the same result, look to the baby's bottom issue next.
    That's a very thoughtful hypothesis. And one that I have some familiarity with. I've encounted baby bottom before and was able to fix it at least well enough to be able to write with it. I'll check the possibility of oils with the card interface.

While we are on the subject of papers however, I've been doing a bit more "shopping" for other papers besides Clairefontaine and Rhodia and come to find that there are very few which are made into journal-type notebooks. I find the Clairefontaine papers in general WAY too smooth. Rhodia, at least the Rhodia in my current notebook is a bit better at this, giving more feedback. But is there a whole other group of papers, or other making of notebooks that I have missed? It seems like Clairefontaine is a virtual monopoly gobbling up other companies left and right. Ex. you buy a Quo Vadis notebook and the paper is Clairefontaine.

Thanks

I love bagasse paper, but I'm not sure they still make the bound comp books. They have spirals in different sizes, but, nope, not bound.

I don't know if Miquelrius makes bound books but I like the paper well enough.

I used to go by what looked interesting, amd the results are hit or miss.

Bagasse, btw, is found at Staples. It's just sugarcane waste.

Thanks

Black n Red notebooks and journals are also worth looking at.

Thanks

That is the name of the journals? "Black and Red"? Haven't seen that yet. Will do a search...I just need some paper in a notebook that is not so smooth as Clairefontaine. But not so absorbent as to create feathering. The Goldilocks paper. Ah I found it on Amazon and elsewhere. Anyone else recommend Black and Red?
    Last edited by Saintpaulia; September 24th, 2012 at 08:35 PM.

Thanks

It is actually: link -> "Black n' Red". I bought my copy at Fedex Office but I have seen them on occasion at Wal-Mart of all places. The "Diaries" range is the fountain pen friendly option.
    Last edited by KrazyIvan; September 24th, 2012 at 09:46 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I love bagasse paper, but I'm not sure they still make the bound comp books. They have spirals in different sizes, but, nope, not bound.

I used to go by what looked interesting, amd the results are hit or miss.

Bagasse, btw, is found at Staples. It's just sugarcane waste.
    Actually Sailor I prefer spiral bound as the book lays flat. That is not always the case with bound.

Thanks

Lightbulb Well little did I ever imagine...

For me this whole fountain pen hobby has begun to resemble more and more the rabbit hole that Lewis Carroll made his heroine go down. Things just seem stranger and stranger. Right now it is paper. But it could just as easily be inks tomorrow or pens the next day.

What began as a little notebook to keep a record of my inks turned into a tutorial on "high-end" papers most often used by fountain pen writers. What I learned cleared up alot of puzzlements that had been accruing for a while. Like this whole skipping phenomenon. When I first noticed it I, of course, figured that it must be the pens' fault.

That led to learning about nibs, tines, widths of space between the tines, brass shims, and ultimately the feed itself. And sending one pen overseas to have it looked at by a penmeister! But I learned alot! I now am beginning to suspect that it was not the pens at all, or at least, not in the main. Rather it was the non-existent oils on my hands that turned out to be EXistent!

At this point in the "excercise" I am contemplating the nature of papers that are so "sensitive" that even the minimal amount of oils on my hands is causing areas where my pens skip. But besides that, even before I learned what was actually going on, I had begun to dislike these super-smooth papers. I like some feedback from my pens and papers. Really smooth paper is hard for me to write on.

There must be a happy middle ground between these expensive persnickety papers and those cheapos that cause bad feathering. So that's where I am headed now. Stay tuned.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saintpaulia View Post
    Actually Sailor I prefer spiral bound as the book lays flat. That is not always the case with bound.
    In that case check Staples. I got two of the spiral-bounds in different sizes, and the cool thing is they both have pockets. So far this sugarcane paper has been a pleasant surprise.

Thanks

I will. I go to Staples occasionally. Besides the Banditapple journal I ordered from Goulet, I found another line called Ecosystem which is carried by Barnes and Noble, although not our local stores. I ordered one of those to be picked up at store.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post

They do make bound books. They work well for me!