Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: little book for noting details about inks?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

What about those Circa style books from Staples?
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Lol, now there's another notebook I have to try...
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    What about those Circa style books from Staples?
    They are called ARC and PERFECT! Great paper in a great system. I don't have but about 6 sets. I use one for a pen/ink journal. It's easy to put dividers in and add or move around pages. When I get a new pen, I start a new page for it and keep track of what ink is in it - also make notes about the combo of ink and pen.
    There is also a ARC weekly/monthly planner in a refill that has the same great paper. I also use the ARC for a daily journal, travel journal, and bird watching journal. It's easy to tote along a small one and just transport the pages in the appropriate journal when I get home. Get some of the giant rings and it's easy to archive each year. I use the junior size, but have both. The junior use exactly have letter pages so I have designed several excel templates and print my own on the letter size paper of my choice since I have a paper cutter and the ARC hole punch. Absolutley the best thing since ice cream in my book!
    Oh, and to stay on topic - I have tried the Ink Journals - they are a great idea but the paper is just not FP friendly. And gee! When you get to be a FP Geek, how many of those little books would you have to have?

Thanks

I tend to use Moleskine journals & Rhodia pads most often, so I've kept my Ink Notes in the same. Didn't make much sense to me to use an entirely separate type/brand of paper, as I prefer the ink "record" not appear different than it might on my daily use paper.

Thanks

Thanks Ken Mac. I'll check out the ARC and Perfect. Btw what's the difference? Which is the one you like because it allows you to move stuff around?

I was at Staples last week on a quest for the bagasse paper, which I found. But I also found the Black n' White notebooks, and a jillion more! Eeek! Rather than buy something right then and there with sensory overload I walked away with nothing. Promising to return and fight again another day.

I did receive the Banditapple notebook or cahier as they call it. Too small, not enough papers, doesn't lay flat really, etc. My wife loved it though when she saw it on my desk so she got it.

Then today I went over to my local Barnes and Noble and picked up the special ordered "ecosystem" ruled journal. They are really proud of their post-consumer this and that. Organic cotton thats and thises. Finally once I had waded thru their self-promotions and the "Environmental Benefits Statement" (jeez), I finally found what I wanted to know in the first place and couldn't find before I ordered it: the facts.

60 lb. text. After contending with Clairefontaine's glass paper (90 gsm) and Rhodia's slightly less glass-like paper (80 gsm), 60 grams per square meter would be about right, but 60 pounds means something else. Still I am hoping, really hoping that this paper has a surface I can actually write on. You know, in a REGULAR plain old-fashioned sort of way?
    I'm discovering vintage pens. Oh no!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenmc View Post
    They are called ARC and PERFECT! Great paper in a great system. I don't have but about 6 sets. I use one for a pen/ink journal. It's easy to put dividers in and add or move around pages. When I get a new pen, I start a new page for it and keep track of what ink is in it - also make notes about the combo of ink and pen.
    There is also a ARC weekly/monthly planner in a refill that has the same great paper. I also use the ARC for a daily journal, travel journal, and bird watching journal. It's easy to tote along a small one and just transport the pages in the appropriate journal when I get home. Get some of the giant rings and it's easy to archive each year. I use the junior size, but have both. The junior use exactly have letter pages so I have designed several excel templates and print my own on the letter size paper of my choice since I have a paper cutter and the ARC hole punch. Absolutley the best thing since ice cream in my book!
    I am having trouble visualizing what you are talking about but the idea of keeping a record of each pen is something that had not occurred to me (duh). I've been keeping a record of each ink I've used (this in a Clairefontaine 90 gsm notebook) which is OK but as far as keeping track of what ink is in what pen in my whole collection, I've been resorting to having a dedicated, running inventory in Word. This needs updating every 3 days or so when I change inks and it is really cumbersome. Why not have a separate notebook for pens like I have with inks? I'll just have to go out to Staples with your note and ask them about this ARC and PERFECT. Btw what is the difference betw. ARC and PERFECT?

Thanks

I dunno about the perfect, but I just ran and got an Arc...a very close copy of the Levenger Circa and a fraction of the cost. You can remove and add paper at will.

Thanks

Sorry for the confusion! I meant PERFECT as an adjective and not another brand.
    Since I try out every ink I have - it's going to be in a pen. So I find it easier to keep up with the pen and what's in it. I use that pen and ink for the entry. When I flush the pen, I make note of what ink I fill it with. This comes in handy to see what the ink looks like in that particular pen. My junior size ARC is separated by tabbed dividers where I separate pen makes. The ARC makes it simple to put a page in-between previous entries i.e. Lamy 26 between Lamy 25 and Lamy 27 and so forth. It makes finding certain pens easier.
    I started off using a booklet type journal but as you add pens/ink to the collection it's hard to find them.
    I like the ARC paper because I know if a pen/ink combo bleeds through, it's not going to be much good for anything I want to write in. One day when I get time I'm going to make a template for 1/2 letter for my ARC and use HP Laser 24#. I made one for address pages that works pretty good. I wish I was smart enough to make one for a weekly planner. But printing fronts and backs for planners gets to be very tedious! As long as Staples make them, the ARC planner refills for nine bucks are worth it.

Thanks

Couldn't anyone also use a small Claire or any fp-friendly notebook, really, then just start a new one when it's full?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Couldn't anyone also use a small Claire or any fp-friendly notebook, really, then just start a new one when it's full?
    Sure! First of all, I just don't care for writing in those small books that don't stay open flat . I have probably 50 pens inked so I would probably have to have more than one book - then I would have to start hunting for the book that a certain pen/ink was in. With the ARC I can add larger OD rings if I run out of room. By keeping the journal/log of pens and ink combo if I get a wild hair to try another ink in a pen, I know if I have tried that before and what the results were.
    I have several of the Junior size notebooks. I take one when I travel. If I am at a pen show for a couple of days and fill a new pen with a new ink, I can make my entry on a page then move it to my pen/ink log when i get home. Hey! They don't call us geeks for nothing!

Thanks

Does arc come in a letter size like the Levenger Circa? I just grabbed the half-size, something like 5x7, because I felt that would be most useful. The sad part is I haven't even tested it yet. -_-;

Thanks

Yes, it comes in letter also.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Does arc come in a letter size like the Levenger Circa? I just grabbed the half-size, something like 5x7, because I felt that would be most useful. The sad part is I haven't even tested it yet. -_-;
    You know Sailor I looked at those ARC folders/notebooks/binders don't know what to call them really, and I couldn't figure out how they work. I asked the sales clerk and he had never even looked at one. Together we tried to figure out how to take out and how to put in paper. Other than a few pages at a time and those pretty bent up at the point where their slotted holes meet those odd circular objects that do duty as clips, dunno.

Surely nothing like that could be designed that badly! We simply did not know how to use it. And if something doesn't really tell you how to use it, either thru nominal brain power or a set of instructions inside, then somethings missing somewhere. The old looseleaf binder still looks pretty foolproof to me.

Thanks

I had the Levenger Circa before I bought the ARC. What you do is open the book so it lies flat, select a page, lift a page at a time straight up, gently, easing the cutouts up and away deom the flared edge of the disk.

There is definitely technique involved. When you get used to how much pressure to apply you can add and remove a few at a time.

I agree that it's somewhat fiddly, but the packaging is really for adding and switching pages at will if you didn't have enough loaded to a particular section.

Thanks

Saintpaulia, did I point you to this notebook yet? http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread....otebook-Review

I think it is a good match for you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Saintpaulia, did I point you to this notebook yet? http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread....otebook-ReviewI think it is a good match for you.
    Thanks for thinking of me Ivan. Very considerate. The Kokuyo does look good. I'll check it out. You mentioned "smoothness". I am finding that a two-edged sword. Not so "toothy" that finer nibs catch on the paper; not so smooth any little thing causes pens to skip.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saintpaulia View Post
    Thanks for thinking of me Ivan. Very considerate. The Kokuyo does look good. I'll check it out. You mentioned "smoothness". I am finding that a two-edged sword. Not so "toothy" that finer nibs catch on the paper; not so smooth any little thing causes pens to skip.
    It is not the case with this notebook.