Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Visconti's non-conventional pen construction

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Default Re: Visconti's non-conventional pen construction

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Lee View Post
    Which reinforces my point about preferences rather nicely. :-)
    I don't prefer them.
    Last edited by mhosea; May 16th, 2015 at 08:53 PM. Reason: add quote to clarify who I was responding to
    --
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Partly for me the issue with these captive converters sold as a piston filler is that Visconti is changing a premium for them as if they were something other than a C/C. I have no issue with converters but dang it don't pretend it is something else and charge me extram
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

brunico (December 18th, 2020), ChrisC (May 16th, 2015), Feathers (June 7th, 2015), Sammyo (October 29th, 2015), Tracy Lee (May 18th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    Partly for me the issue with these captive converters sold as a piston filler is that Visconti is changing a premium for them as if they were something other than a C/C. I have no issue with converters but dang it don't pretend it is something else and charge me extram
    Yeah I sure get that.

Thanks

It's really stupid for a Homo Sapiens's (steel version) barrel to not be able to be removed like on a regular C/C pen. I just can't fathom why Visconti does that.
    I like the Opera/Wall Street series dearly, though, so don't misunderstand this as hating on Visconti.

The captured converter doesn't help anybody. Non-aficionados likely don't care if a pen is C/C or piston filled. Aficionados like us on this forum see right through it. What's the point?
    Last edited by ChrisC; May 16th, 2015 at 09:26 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

I wonder if I should worry any about my Divina Desert Springs Limited Edition (which uses a vac "pull and push" filler, and not the power fillers like the non-LE version), especially since I have the ink window with a little silver ring with windows thru that but it doesn't seem like there's much going on between the ink window and the section like maybe a few milimeters worth of bonding.

That little ring moves every time I uncap or cap the pen, ie: rotates pretty freely (just not loose enough to do it on it's own just when the cap pushes against it when capping/etc).
    Last edited by KBeezie; May 17th, 2015 at 04:21 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (May 17th, 2015), Llewellyn (October 30th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    I wonder if I should worry any about my Divina Desert Springs Limited Edition (which uses a vac "pull and push" filler, and not the power fillers like the non-LE version), especially since I have the ink window with a little silver ring with windows thru that but it doesn't seem like there's much going on between the ink window and the section like maybe a few milimeters worth of bonding.

That little ring moves every time I uncap or cap the pen, ie: rotates pretty freely (just not loose enough to do it on it's own just when the cap pushes against it when capping/etc).
    Seriously Karl, you don't REALLY have a problem... you just wanted to show us what a beautiful pen it is and how great it looks in your fabulous photographs!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to youstruckgold For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (May 21st, 2015)

Thanks

Happily, I am coming to this thread quite late. What was the original post about? An 'aficionado' (that must leave me out as I am only a collector and possess a certain expertise only in regard to Italian stilographic pens) has complained about recent Visconti captive converter fillers. Unlike millions of people around the world, then, you are dissatisfied with this system which Visconti apparently uses; hence it's a non-issue, i.e., don't buy them. I have six Visconti (miniscule number compared to many) with various filling systems; they have all served me well for between 10 and 25 years. And I own a Montegrappa Extra that is almost 20 years old which uses the captive system and I expect to enjoy it problem free for another 20 before bequeathing it (probably) to a non-aficionado.
    A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to penstaking For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (October 27th, 2015)

Thanks

I stick with Visconti's C/C fillers.

I really like Visconti's aesthetics, such as their beautiful materials and faceted Opera series, but I think their mechanical prowess leaves much to be desired. So, I stick with C/C pens, where all the mechanics (nib, feed, and converter) are produced by more mechanically able companies.
    Last edited by ChrisC; October 27th, 2015 at 11:01 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisC For This Useful Post:

mhosea (October 27th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by youstruckgold View Post

Seriously Karl, you don't REALLY have a problem... you just wanted to show us what a beautiful pen it is and how great it looks in your fabulous photographs!
    Well the issues/annoyances (including flow/nib, filling) were annoying enough that I no longer own it and have sold it several months back at a slight loss. Found the construction/feel/quality/filling/nib of the Aurora Afrika LE to be much better.

True the Viscontis are beautiful, but that doesn't do me much good if they keep annoying me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Well the issues/annoyances (including flow/nib, filling) were annoying enough that I no longer own it and have sold it several months back at a slight loss. Found the construction/feel/quality/filling/nib of the Aurora Afrika LE to be much better.

True the Viscontis are beautiful, but that doesn't do me much good if they keep annoying me.
    That is a bit sad to hear but there is no point keeping an expensive pen if it aggravates you whenever you use it.

I recently purchased a regular Desert Springs with the bizarre push/pull turn captive converter filling system and was at first a little disappointed with the performance and use of that and the Palladium nib but it has improved overtime. The material is absolutely stunning in real life and the feel of the pentagonal spiral twist of the barrel is unique.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogon07 For This Useful Post:

Llewellyn (October 30th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post

That is a bit sad to hear but there is no point keeping an expensive pen if it aggravates you whenever you use it.

I recently purchased a regular Desert Springs with the bizarre push/pull turn captive converter filling system and was at first a little disappointed with the performance and use of that and the Palladium nib but it has improved overtime. The material is absolutely stunning in real life and the feel of the pentagonal spiral twist of the barrel is unique.

I also have a regular Desert Springs and think it's a great pen. To address the specific topic of this thread maybe I'm just easily pleased or not discriminating enough but I don't understand all the angst about whether a pen uses a converter, captured converter or piston, a sacs or whatever. To me as long as a pen fills reliably and can be cleaned it doesn't bother me what method the manufacturer uses for filling it.

I'm an unashamed Visconti fan - they make lovely and different pens. I'd rather have the worst Visconti than the best Montblanc

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Llewellyn For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (November 1st, 2015), Crazyorange (October 30th, 2015), Tracy Lee (November 4th, 2015)