Thread: Modifying a Pelikan Converter for a Kaweco Sport (more or less)

Thanks

Default Modifying a Pelikan Converter for a Kaweco Sport (more or less)

Here is a short picture guide for modifying a standard Pelikan converter to fit into a Kaweco Sport:

Notes:
    - You basically make the screw piston converter into a push converter.
    - I don't give measurements for where to cut. But it is easy to find out where to do it.
    - Is it better than syringe filling a normal cartridge? Maybe. But you still need a "tool" to fill this converter.
    - The Pelikan converter fits a bit loose into the section, so you have to be carefull not to cut too much: The piston rod also helps fixating the converter.

This is the Pelikan converter:

And here it is completely disassembled. You need to file off the plastic ring, that stands out, so you can push the whole part fits into the converter barrel.

The three parts that you need are the ones at the bottom. The rest (the 3-4 parts at the top) are not needed anymore.

You can still screw the piston together, so the left part acts as a simple extension that can be detached

The converter filled with ink

The converter inserted into the Kaweco Sport.

There might be other converters that work better and look more pleasing, but I only had the Pelikan one lying around. The ridges at the rear end of the fountain pen barrel prevented the metal screw-on part of the converter to fit into the barrel. I have yet to find a way to file those four ridges off...
    Last edited by Pinkys.Brain; July 18th, 2012 at 07:25 PM.

Thanks

Very resourceful!

I have seen a number of mods/hacks on converters for these Kaweco Sports, so many of them badly reduce the capacity. Looks like you still managed a decent fill.
    "My thoughts are as scattered as the frozen winds of November swept across the harvested fields of my mind." ~ Justin - damaging things since 1973

"It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." ~ John Andrew Holmes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by etoyoc View Post
    Very resourceful!

I have seen a number of mods/hacks on converters for these Kaweco Sports, so many of them badly reduce the capacity. Looks like you still managed a decent fill.
    The converter takes the same amount of ink as an unmodified standard converter.

Depending on how you cut the piston rod you can get even maybe 5% more ink. But I don't think it's worth is, especially since I use it for en EF-Kaweco.

Thanks

Clever idea!
    Looks better than the Monteverde mini-converter (and probably holds more ink, too!)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Great job and great explanation. I'll stick with using it as an eye dropper.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

If I had a transparent one I might consider making it an eye dropper. I am just too cautious. The converter conversion seems more safe to me.

Does it grip the section the way it should. Some say the other converter does not hold tightly.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by writingrav View Post
    Great job and great explanation. I'll stick with using it as an eye dropper.
    1) It's hot here in Japan, so the eyedropper is not the best solution for me. I already get problems if the ink level drops below 40%. I have the feeling that even normal piston filler fountain pens run wetter here than in Germany.
    2) Another problem is that using the Kaweco as an eyedropper prohibits me from using different inks. It just to bothersome...
    3) When using the pen as an eyedropper over the long haul ink gets trapped in the grip section and it is nearly impossible to get it out (older Kaweco Sport models [90's ?] are an exception to this rule).

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    If I had a transparent one I might consider making it an eye dropper. I am just too cautious. The converter conversion seems more safe to me.

Does it grip the section the way it should. Some say the other converter does not hold tightly.
    The converter does hold, but not very tightly on its own but the piston rod helps holding the whole thing together. All in all I'd say it is save for use! I've had no problems so far. And Pelikan converters aren't very expensive so you should just give it a try. It's not too complicated ^_^

If I could shave of parts of the inner ridges at the bottom of the barrel the metal part of the converter could fit, making it a perfect fit, but unfortunately I don't have the tools...
    Last edited by Pinkys.Brain; July 19th, 2012 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    +1

After my first day of use, I enjoyed using the Kaweco with a cartridge. Had a couple pens at work leak on me. I certainly can't afford an eyedropper to "explode" on the conference room table or in my boss' office.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dgator View Post
    +1

After my first day of use, I enjoyed using the Kaweco with a cartridge. Had a couple pens at work leak on me. I certainly can't afford an eyedropper to "explode" on the conference room table or in my boss' office.
    Before using my eyedropper I always take a look at the feed after unscrewing the cap. If I can see that it is overflowing with ink, I know that I have to be careful.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

stakes get high with eyedroppers.

I'm generally too klutzy to mess with em.

cool converter mod.

jor412

I have an old converter which I can experiment with and attempt this. Thanks for the post.

About the ink getting stuck in the grip section when using this as an eyedropper: This happened to me and I obsessed over it. My solution was to fill the barrel with soapy water and let the whole thing drip in a cup. Depending on the ink (and as long as it's one of the well-behaved ones), it may take 1-2 fillings to completely clean out the old color. The downside is it takes longer than usual to clean. But then there are other pens to use in the meantime

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jor412 View Post
    I have an old converter which I can experiment with and attempt this. Thanks for the post.

About the ink getting stuck in the grip section when using this as an eyedropper: This happened to me and I obsessed over it. My solution was to fill the barrel with soapy water and let the whole thing drip in a cup. Depending on the ink (and as long as it's one of the well-behaved ones), it may take 1-2 fillings to completely clean out the old color. The downside is it takes longer than usual to clean. But then there are other pens to use in the meantime
    Nice tip! I will try that.

Does anyone know a good way to get the blind cap out of the cap? I think I once saw a video in which a pencil and a thicker rubber band was used, but I am not sure...