Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FPGeeks Give Away #6

Thanks

Thanks for the generous giveaway!! I have one FP, a Parker 51 Aerometric F point. It's my first and only FP, and my everyday pen as well. I love it enough that I'm interested in getting a Pelikan as a new-model everyday workhorse. After that I'd like to collect different vintage pens to learn the nuances among them and figure out what works for me.

I got the Parker because it reminded me of my grandfather, and I'm interested in practicing my penmanship. I like it enough that I want to continue down this path and see where it takes me.

Thanks

At the moment I have 15, with 5 more on the way (counting pens I plan on repairing and selling). Of those I consider 10 to be part of my "permanent" collection. I plan on slowly adding to my personal collection for a long time to come, so who knows how many I'll end up with.

bpendleton

I have 7 fountain pens, 4 inks. I'm still looking for 1 or 2 more nice pens (my current set are all worth under $30), and maybe another few inks for special circumstances.

Thanks

I have reached the 200+ mark . In the beginning of my fountain pen journey I was not selective in my choices. Accumulated some junk pens that are not restorable, my other downfall was buying cheap Chinese pens which I do not count in my collection. My focus now are Sheaffer's especially Snorkels, and Military clips, and Watermans. I hope to in the near future learn how to repack my pens that need new bladders, work on learning how to clean polish my pens. Since I am out to pasture I think this would be a great project. I do not think you can too many pens. Especially when comes to vintage you are actively keeping history alive.
    When craftsmanship and quality matter. My Holy Grail pen would be a Parker Vacumatic it seems to just elude me and my price range right now.

mrloco

I have about 60 but ~35 of those are inexpensive ones I bought to give away or test ink (hero 616s for example). I am pretty satisfied with what I've got but think if I can get my hands on a Pilot M90 and a Sterling Parker Cisele FP/MP/BP set I'll be just about done.....for a while.

mattjs

I currently stand at two pens, a Lamy Studio and Safari. I have a Waterman hemisphere on the way from eBay and a glass dip pen coming as well, so that'll bring me up to a hefty 4!

That said, I do have a wish list of pens that I will, eventually acquire, most Watermans. Although, that lava pen from Visconti sure looks interesting... Too many choices for a FP newbie! Between pens and inks, it's almost overwhelming. And then paper? Oh Paper! That might be my real downfall

bigstick

I have seven in use and four true ancients tucked away. I feel humble in the Presence, but worthy of a mate for my LJ.

Bucolic Buffalo

19 I think. No telling how many I may have in another year. I have been a bit more picky about purchases. The most recent was a Millennium Arc Visconti.

Thanks

Hey - nice to be here. Wouldn't it be grand to win an Esterbrook with my very first post!!!

I have 17 pens from 8 brands. I will consider my collection complete with exactly 5 more pens that are on my list (one of these is an Esterbrook :-)

S.

mana

I currently have nine pens but who knows the limit when it comes to collecting things... So I have to answer that the limit is not a number but my ability to find enjoyment in acquiring, using and collecting the pens themselves. Admittedly and sadly, the limit is also my finances.

Usability and feel is very important to me as alongside of being objects that provide me with aesthetic, functional and tactile pleasure fountain pens are also essential tools for drawing, sketching and writing. I have pretty much completely abandoned all other means of writing that are based on dispensing liquid or semi-liquid dye on paper.

That said I am always on the lookout for pristine specimens of the pen models I currently have my eye on and collect. This is especially bad as my background is of the artist/designer/craftsman kind, eye for detail is elevated to an entirely new level when it comes to things I acquire for collecting. So I buy multiples, one or two in different nib sizes for use (usually XF/B nibs) and the rest as safe queens (in various nib sizes). And when I find a better quality version of a particular pen the collection gets rotated, user pens are sold away, safe queens demoted to user status and new safe queens reigning supreme (who knows for how long...).

inkcoffee

Hello! I have over 100 fountain pens , there are many duplicates (Safaris, 78Gs and Preras). I probably won't ever be done buying fountain pens, it has slowed down a lot though. Probably a new pen every 3 months or so now. I am satisfied with the pens I have but there is always something interesting in this hobby.

Sharkbait

I currently have two pens a Pilot Vanishing Point and a Hero 616... just started 5months ago. I think when my collection reaches about 10 pens I will be satisfied but who knows it my become too much of an addiction

Thrage1

Ok let's see here in order of purchase ( I only started seriously 4 months ago)
    1. An old sheaffer made in the USA unknown name
    2. Pelikan future
    3. Lamy safari
    4. Namiki vanishing point med
    5. 3 jinhao dragons offspring
    8. Dragons pearl
    9. Waterman 12 slip cap eyedropper fill super flex
    10. Pelikan m200 2 nibs
    11. Pelikan m800 2 nibs
    12. Vintage conklin crescent filler fine flex I love this pen
    13. Namiki Fermo medium nib I love this one too
    14 I think I got this one a lot earlier Parker reflex
    15. Almost forgot lamy 2000
    16 another vanishing point with italic nib
    17. A waterman vintage number 54 with a stub nib that's supposed to be close to a wet noodle oh I can't wait to try this one it's still on the way, should be here in 2 weeks
    18. Namiki falcon

so I guess I have 18
    I need just one more
    then another one then another one all in the quest for the perfect fountain pen
    I'm a college student I can't stop I've caught the fp bug oh I'm too young for this. Wish I'd waited till after college when I will have more money to dedicate to this.
    Last edited by Thrage1; April 23rd, 2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Grammer

LeonChan

I Have 5, and I think I'll need 10 to keep me satisfied. I can always have more room on my shirt pocket

Breck

I have about 15-20, but at least half of those are to be restored and sold, so call it 10 in my own private collection.

I could definitely be happy at well under 30 pens. I'd like to think I could be happy with just 3, but ya gotta try everything at least once first, right?

Thanks

150+

Can you ever have enough?

Gormley

A cool giveaway for the complete pen nut.
    How many pens - I don't know really. I stopped counting about a year ago when I realized that I am going to die before I get to use them all. Still, if I see something I really like that can still achieve a balance between insanity and financial harmony, I'm in. So I guess that's the dilemma of many collectors; that if you tried to justify this habit you wouldn't be able to, and if you were rational, then you'd realize that you should put a stop to it...but you can't. And that is what is both profound and enduring about pen collecting...that you do this for a lifetime.

OK OK so I didn't really answer the question...still, this was fun to contemplate.

ajd

Right now I have 5 pens: 3 Esterbrooks, a Lamy, and a Levenger TrueWriter. I'm not sure when I'll stop. My next pen is going to be a Pelikan M215. Maybe that will be enough, but probably not.

maxh

I have one pen in use and another pen I no longer use (due to the cap not staying on correctly). I'd be happy with just a few pens.

Maruk

I currently have no pens, but one is on the way. I have also signed up for the TWSBI pre-order, so those may be #2 and 3. I honestly don't know how many I'll collect before I stop - especially seeing how quickly I have moved in only one day, and I can only think of what will happen when I get to inks.