Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reliable pen repair/restoration?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Default Re: Reliable pen repair/restoration?

Quote Originally Posted by mtsheehan View Post
    I have used Sean Nicholson exclusively over the past 2 years after getting bounced around by some of the old guard that Szanto (in the uppity manner that is his hallmark in the many forums that he blows his hot air around in) so profusely supports, citing no particular wonderful thing they did to even one pen. Repairers Szanto mentions have failed to repair cracked cap lips, sent pens back with loose sections, wobbly levers, scratches that could have been polished out easily, glue remnants etc. Sean has repaired at least 75 pens for me and on each one he has made them better than new. He can repair Vacumatic fillers, Sheaffer Vac fillers, safety fillers, leverless/twist fillers, wobbly levers, loose clips, you name it. He can make virtually any crack disappear, and not just cosmetically. A cracked cap on an old Onoto de la Rue that went through 2 of SzAntos old guard unfixed - Sean fixed it. He can clean up any old dog off the 'bay scratched, tarnished, missing pieces, cracks etc and he can restore every bit of it to new condition. Szanto has it out for the new kid on the block and he's dead wrong - he's attacked him in his San Francisco bush manner and everyone knows it. Bugger off Jon. Btw it's spelled "John" in the real world.
    If it matters, Jon doesn't live in or even near San Francisco.

Does it matter how Jon or John spells his name with respect to pen repair?

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Cob (June 12th, 2015), Jon Szanto (June 11th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (June 13th, 2015), Marsilius (June 11th, 2015), reprieve (June 12th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

My, my. Opinions really do get people excited.

For my good friend Karl: you'll have to note that I didn't note a lack of website, only mentioning his Facebook page, because... that is where he chooses to run his business. I also gave a good nod to his Skyline restorations, which I've seen from some of your very own high-quality photos, since that particular model pen was in discussion. Hey, I have concerns about over-processing a pen, not everyone does, but it's worth mentioning. People are free to ignore it.

And then there is Mr. Mike Sheehan, joining the forum to have his say. Let's all welcome Mike! He's had a lot of work done, he's got some great pens (shown courtesy the Fountain Pen group on Facebook), and I have no doubt he is happy with the work done. No one could possibly mistake how happy he is, and it gives him extra time to work on things like... how I spell my name. Too bad my dad has passed on, I could have asked him why he did that to me.

I mean, really.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AltecGreen (June 11th, 2015), Cob (June 12th, 2015), Crazyorange (June 12th, 2015), dr.grace (June 12th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (June 13th, 2015), Marsilius (June 11th, 2015), reprieve (June 12th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

For my good friend Karl: you'll have to note that I didn't note a lack of website, only mentioning his Facebook page, because... that is where he chooses to run his business. I also gave a good nod to his Skyline restorations, which I've seen from some of your very own high-quality photos, since that particular model pen was in discussion. Hey, I have concerns about over-processing a pen, not everyone does, but it's worth mentioning. People are free to ignore it.

And then there is Mr. Mike Sheehan, joining the forum to have his say. Let's all welcome Mike! He's had a lot of work done, he's got some great pens (shown courtesy the Fountain Pen group on Facebook), and I have no doubt he is happy with the work done. No one could possibly mistake how happy he is, and it gives him extra time to work on things like... how I spell my name. Too bad my dad has passed on, I could have asked him why he did that to me.

I mean, really.
    Now you know how the man in black feels:

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Cob (June 12th, 2015), Jon Szanto (June 11th, 2015), Marsilius (June 11th, 2015)

Thanks

Johanan, Johannes, Johan, Johann, Jan, Jean, Sean, Yan, Yannes, Wannes, Jannike, Han, Hannes, Joan, Zoan, Giovanni, Juan, Ian, Iaian, Yoni, Yonathan, Jonathan, Jokke, etc.
    But this "Jon" thing kind of bothers me.
    Fortibus es in ero

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (June 11th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AltecGreen View Post
    ... Some factors like availability, turn around time, cost will be the deciding factor....
    If the nib needs work, then you would send that pen to some like Mike Masuyama of John Mottishaw. ...
    One of the initial reasons I sent my pens off to Dan Smith for example was his 7 to 10 day turn around (which for my Architect grind and tune and smooth on another pen was about 4 days upon receipt of the pens), as opposed to going with say Mottishaw (nibs.com?) which would be a 6 month wait time based on an inquiry I had two nights ago.

:P Well you know.. it's wholly possible to say, don't polish the pen, just re-sac it, and fix this and that, which he can do, and has separate prices for just those itemized tasks. Many of which are priced lower than some comparable competitors.

Having the option is nice, and for some quite desirable. Some of course aim to try to keep the pen in as original a shape as possible, which may include nothing more than a cleaning, and that's their prerogative. The point is, if you do like a little shine, helps to send it to someone who has made it part of their specialty, but doesn't mean they're incapable of fixing a pen without that added service.

I do not see it as 'over-processing' anymore than someone having a vintage car detailed to look all shiny and new.

Far as restorations, and such, I'll probably be taking on a little work myself slowly, but mainly on a case by case basis, I already gotten some folks who are super impressed in the last couple months, but I don't feel like my own work could compare to Sean's at all (gives me something to strive for at least), but if they're happy...
    Last edited by KBeezie; June 11th, 2015 at 11:11 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    :P Well you know..
    Yeah, I do: all they are is opinions, and we all vary. BTW, your recent post made me want to correct an omission: I had listed repair people I'd used, and separated out the nib guys. I had a nice arch grind (as you did) from Dan Smith, but I just remembered he did a bang-up job doing a tricky Aurora 88P piston restoration for me, and I wanted to be sure to give him kudos.

When you put your shingle out, I'll send you all my Waterman Taperites to work on, deal?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (June 12th, 2015)

Thanks

Ew, what is a San Francisco bush attack? Of all major American cities, San Francisco is probably the least into that kind of thing.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kernando For This Useful Post:

Cob (June 12th, 2015), Marsilius (June 12th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kernando View Post
    Ew, what is a San Francisco bush attack? Of all major American cities, San Francisco is probably the least into that kind of thing.
    Bwahaha. How about clutch rings?
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

~ Benjamin Franklin

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (June 12th, 2015), dr.grace (June 12th, 2015), kernando (June 12th, 2015), Marsilius (June 12th, 2015)

Thanks

None of it means anything - all Trojan Horses meant to distract you from taking on the main point, which is that Szanto in multiple forums has gone out of his way to say not so nice things about Sean who, compared to restorers who have been around 20 or so years, is relatively new to the scene. Why John does that is nasty imho and he should really just stop.

Thanks

It's worth noting that Szanto addressed none of the substance - falling for all of the Trojan Horses. He fails to discuss the main substance of the thread - who does superb restoration? I have 75 pens and experience with other restorers that demonstrates to me that Sean Nicholson is among the best, if not the best (I can't say the latter as I have not used every restorer in business).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Doing my best to control my ire, I should like to say that Mr Jon Szanto is an asset to every forum to which he contributes; reading his posts is always a pleasure.

Cob

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (June 12th, 2015), dr.grace (June 12th, 2015), Hawk (June 13th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (June 13th, 2015), Laura N (June 12th, 2015), Marsilius (June 12th, 2015), Neo (June 12th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (June 12th, 2015), sgtstretch (June 12th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Who ARE these people? O_o

I learned something new in this thread: when sending off a pen to be fixed in any way, be REALLY specific. I can see there might be pens I'd want re-sac'd but not 'polished to perfection.'

Useful.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Hawk (June 13th, 2015), Laura N (June 12th, 2015), Marsilius (June 12th, 2015), reprieve (June 12th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

When you put your shingle out, I'll send you all my Waterman Taperites to work on, deal?
    :P I have zilch experience with taperites, whether they be open or hooded nib. And I'm not going to be doing anything like cracks any time soon.

Thanks

I'm the OP, and no, I haven't run away, though I have at times regretted...

Thanks to those who suggested names. I will try some of them out!

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fqgouvea For This Useful Post:

Hawk (June 13th, 2015), Jon Szanto (June 12th, 2015), Marsilius (June 12th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

None of it means anything - all Trojan Horses meant to distract you from taking on the main point, which is that Szanto in multiple forums has gone out of his way to say not so nice things about Sean who, compared to restorers who have been around 20 or so years, is relatively new to the scene. Why John does that is nasty imho and he should really just stop.
    It's worth noting that Szanto addressed none of the substance - falling for all of the Trojan Horses. He fails to discuss the main substance of the thread - who does superb restoration? I have 75 pens and experience with other restorers that demonstrates to me that Sean Nicholson is among the best, if not the best (I can't say the latter as I have not used every restorer in business).
    I judge a person, in part, by the company he keeps. Internet bullying, ad hominem attacks and the other things actually make it less likely that I'd use any particular business. I suspect I'm not alone. Your actions therefore are undercutting the business you are associated with.

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Cob (June 15th, 2015), dr.grace (June 12th, 2015), Hawk (June 13th, 2015), Marsilius (June 12th, 2015), Neo (June 12th, 2015), reprieve (June 12th, 2015), tnordl (June 21st, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fqgouvea View Post
    I'm the OP, and no, I haven't run away, though I have at times regretted...

Thanks to those who suggested names. I will try some of them out!

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

I'm glad you are still here.

It would actually help to describe the problems your pens have because it will make recommending people easier. A nib problem is different than a bad sac.
    2017 San Francisco Pen Show
    August 25-27th, 2017
    Sofitel San Francisco Bay Hotel
    223 Twin Dolphin Drive
    Redwood City Ca, 94065

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AltecGreen For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (June 12th, 2015), Marsilius (June 12th, 2015)

Thanks

I'm going to end my participation in this thread with one note: I was concerned last night with the destruction I had caused in the thread of someone who needed information. The OP assured me that he was not holding it against me and has learned of resources with which to consider his repair/restoration options. I feel confident that reasonable readers can take the thread for what it is, and make their own determinations. Unless I've got a pressing need to rebut any future comments directed at me (and not any childish, ad hominem stuff), I expect these to be my last words on the matter.

~ Benjamin Franklin

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (June 12th, 2015)

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Come to me, sweet Ignore list!
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Cob (June 15th, 2015), gweddig (June 16th, 2015), Marsilius (June 12th, 2015)