Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reliable pen repair/restoration?

Thanks

Default Reliable pen repair/restoration?

I have just acquired, in a roundabout way, five Wahl Eversharp Skylines and three Parker Duofols. I think they all need repair of some kind, and I don't think I can do it myself. Does anyone have experience with sending pens to be worked on? I'm in the (northeastern) United States, so someone in the US would be better. Any caveats I should look out for?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Reliable pen repair/restoration?

Skyline plastic did not age well and I have had several jesscomeapartinmyhanz.

Contact Danny Fudge and see what he suggests and just do one or two at first.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (June 11th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Jar is on it, I'd check with Danny first also. Lots of experience in vintage pens, and he is honest and up-front enough that he would let you know where/who to take it to if he felt not right about it. Honestly, I think he could do them all. Reasonable and fast, also.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (June 11th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

I agree that Danny Fudge is the man.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Sean Nicholson is who I would personally recommend. All the experience and great work without a long turnaround time. He loves working on Skylines. I have one from his personal collection which he restored. It is magnificently gorgeous. Looks like it just came out of the box. If you have Facebook you can look him up by name or by his Facebook page for his restoration work: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Write...809681?fref=ts

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RayCornett View Post
    Sean Nicholson is who I would personally recommend. All the experience and great work without a long turnaround time.
    All I can find is that his service (or his Facebook page for it, can't tell which) was "founded in February, 2014". Since you are recommending, can you say how long Sean has been restoring pens? He does do a very nice job on Skylines.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

A couple years. Not as long as a few of the others but he has gotten kodos from some of those who have been doing this much longer. I once saw him do a crushed pen that was in pieces and by the time he was done you couldn't tell. And this was without replacing the barrel.

Thanks

I agree I have seen Sean Nicholsons work at Write on Time and it is amazing. He definitely gives the tern "full restoration" a new meaning!!

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Looking at Danny's information it seems he just does the basic repair work and not full restorations. Is this correct or is that something he just doesn't mention doing?

Thanks

Looking at Danny's information it seems he just does the basic repair work and not full restorations. Is this correct or is that something he just doesn't mention doing?
    I'm not sure what "full restorations" means.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Hawk (June 11th, 2015)

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Full restoration services. Repairing cracks, scratches,,,stuff that basically turns it to pretty much brand new or better condition. It seems Danny only does the basics like replacing sacs, levers, some nib work,etc.

Restoring something is more detailed than repairing. Repairing for instance,,,,,,,,fixing the bumper on a beat up truck. Whereas restoring would make the whole truck like knew inside and out.

Thanks

Full restoration services. Repairing cracks, scratches,,,stuff that basically turns it to pretty much brand new or better condition. It seems Danny only does the basics like replacing sacs, levers, some nib work,etc.

Restoring something is more detailed than repairing. Repairing for instance,,,,,,,,fixing the bumper on a beat up truck. Whereas restoring would make the whole truck like knew inside and out.
    Has anyone actually asked Danny about that?

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

Has anyone actually asked Danny about that?
    Not sure. I never heard of him until this thread but his own services section seems to only list basic pen repair services.

Thanks

Ray, what you need to understand is: not everyone wants a valuable vintage item to look "showroom new". Some pens, overpolished, are glitzier than when they were brand new, and there are certain restorations that can devalue a prized pen.

I've not held any of Sean's work in my hand, only seen the photos online. I think he does lovely work, but I also value years of experience, as well as the knowledge of when, and on what, a gleaming shine is appropriate.

The phrase "ooooh, shiny!" comes to mind.

~ Benjamin Franklin

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Hawk (June 11th, 2015)

Thanks

Not sure. I never heard of him until this thread ...
    That says a lot.

~ Benjamin Franklin

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Not sure. I never heard of him until this thread ...
    That says a lot.
    I don't go hunting for pen repairmen so it shouldn't be strange id never heard of him until now. Im personal friends an former apprentice of an internationally known harmonica customizer. Chances are you've never heard of him since you probably haven't been seeking that service.

Thanks

Full Restored
    Complet restore inside and out fixing anything that needs to be fixed correctly and shine that is show room quality. Lots of people state that they have full restored pens when they have only replaced a sac or taked short cuts. Sean has great communication with his customers and will keep them in the loop on what is going on even sending them pic. Just be cautious there are a lot or really good people who restore but there are also a lot of people who don't do things as they should.

Thanks

Ray, what you need to understand is: not everyone wants a valuable vintage item to look "showroom new". Some pens, overpolished, are glitzier than when they were brand new, and there are certain restorations that can devalue a prized pen.

I've not held any of Sean's work in my hand, only seen the photos online. I think he does lovely work, but I also value years of experience, as well as the knowledge of when, and on what, a gleaming shine is appropriate.

Jon, to each there own as far as shine goes. But if you are paying someone to restore a pen shouldn't it atleast look clean. Im sure if you requested Mr Nicholson to just clean a pen to keep the vintage look intact he would do so. Heck he would probably send it to you just repaired IF the customer ask for that.

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

It's cute that you assume I don't know that, Jon. I was merely pointing out one does basic service while the other doest that and more if desired. And not all of us are fountain penners for investment.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

I have used Danny Fudge in the past and found him excellent. He stands behind his work. He knows what he's doing. He's been in business for years, goes to at least some pen shows and I think is involved with the PCA. His prices are very reasonable. He will, if you want, also polish any pens he fixes.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (June 11th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (June 13th, 2015)