Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sticker Residue on Pilot Custom 823 Cap

Thanks

Default Re: Sticker Residue on Pilot Custom 823 Cap

Wile E coyote and dr grace. You should just stop beating around the bush and just go ahead and call me a liar. Again, I have already used DNA to remove the residue that is left behind on the 823. I am blown away that the 2 of of you don't already know this works perfectly fine. If you soak the top of a q-tip and rub it on the glue residue it will remove it and cause no damage to your 823. PERIOD. In the future, if you don't know for sure, keep your mouth shut. I'm not talking to Kbeezie or Jon santo. They didn't criticize my suggestion, they gave their own. Giovanni abrate gave wrong info but he didn't criticize mine. GOO GONE Original is perfectly fine for this. Coyote and grace, here's a good way for you to proceed.
    If in the future someone says that an umbrella is a good way to keep the rain off your head; you should resist the temptation to tell them they are wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    If in the future someone says that an umbrella is a good way to keep the rain off your head; you should resist the temptation to tell them they are wrong.
    In the future, if someone disagrees with you, you should resist the temptation to tell them to "keep your mouth shut". It just isn't civil dialogue to do that. After all, they are simply not agreeing with you, that's all, and that is their right.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dr.grace View Post
    Alcohols are definitely NOT recommended for plastics. They can cause crazing. But Jon's suggestion of Scotch tape is a good one.
    You are definitely wrong. I've dabbed a q-tip soaked in denatured alcohol on sticker residue several times.
    So much in life depends on the skill of distinguishing the people you should listen to from those you should not. Personally, when dr.grace says something even modestly scientific, I tend to listen. But that's just me.

It just depends on the plastic. Sometimes people may sound overcautious in these matters because they are thinking primarily of vintage pens and of modern luxury pens made with celluloid or other plastics that might be selected for their beauty rather than their chemical resistance profile. Celluloid will definitely be damaged by exposure to alcohol. However, most of today's resin pens are made with PMMA, I think, and PMMA has very good alcohol resistance. I would guess that Pilot is using PMMA, so I do not think an 823 is likely to be damaged by brief exposure to isopropyl or ethyl alcohol. Going back in time, however, one does not have to go far to find pens made with various plastics that will craze or even begin to melt when exposed to alcohol. Take a Sheaffer Snorkel or Touchdown, for example. The effect is instantaneous and obvious.

Having said all that, I probably wouldn't use alcohol because it isn't very good at dissolving the adhesive. It's a lot better than water, obviously, but that's not saying much. I do suspect original Goo Gone is probably going to be OK (if WD-40 is), but since the adhesive will rub off over time with no intervention at all, caution is wise. A high-quality, very sticky tape is the ideal approach...if it works. Only one way to find out.
    --
    Mike

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (June 13th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    Alcohols are definitely NOT recommended for plastics. They can cause crazing. But Jon's suggestion of Scotch tape is a good one.
    You are definitely wrong. I've dabbed a q-tip soaked in denatured alcohol on sticker residue several times.
    So much in life depends on the skill of distinguishing the people you should listen to from those you should not. Personally, when dr.grace says something even modestly scientific, I tend to listen. But that's just me.

It just depends on the plastic. Sometimes people may sound overcautious in these matters because they are thinking primarily of vintage pens and of modern luxury pens made with celluloid or other plastics that might be selected for their beauty rather than their chemical resistance profile. Celluloid will definitely be damaged by exposure to alcohol. However, most of today's resin pens are made with PMMA, I think, and PMMA has very good alcohol resistance. I would guess that Pilot is using PMMA, so I do not think an 823 is likely to be damaged by brief exposure to isopropyl or ethyl alcohol. Going back in time, however, one does not have to go far to find pens made with various plastics that will craze or even begin to melt when exposed to alcohol. Take a Sheaffer Snorkel or Touchdown, for example. The effect is instantaneous and obvious.

Having said all that, I probably wouldn't use alcohol because it isn't very good at dissolving the adhesive. It's a lot better than water, obviously, but that's not saying much. I do suspect original Goo Gone is probably going to be OK (if WD-40 is), but since the adhesive will rub off over time with no intervention at all, caution is wise. A high-quality, very sticky tape is the ideal approach...if it works. Only one way to find out.
    You give me too much credit! I'm a cell biologist, not a chemist. Farmboy would be the one to ask.

Of course, it's correct that not all plastics are harmed by alcohols (we use some plastic test tubes that handle them just fine), but I wouldn't want to advise anyone to take the risk with a not-inexpensive pen.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr.grace For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (June 13th, 2015), Neo (June 13th, 2015)

Thanks

I'm a cell biologist, not a chemist. Farmboy would be the one to ask.
    Believe it or not, I knew that. I knew both those things, actually. Where's Farmboy when you need him? Still cataloging his hoard?
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Default Sticker Residue on Pilot Custom 823 Cap

Thanx
    Last edited by Special K; June 29th, 2015 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Mhuckypuck tried to resist. You didn't directly address me, you should have. Doing it indirectly makes you look bad. You don't need any help, there. You do a pretty good job of making yourself look like an ignorant suck up. " Hence, when dr. grace says something even modestly scientific, I tend to listen but that's just me. You also said that so much of life depends on the skill of distinguishing the people you should listen to from those you should not. Wow, that sounded real profound but it was just a bunch of rubbish.
    I'm going to assume I'm "Mhuckypuck". I was talking directly to you. You seem to have misread my meaning. I was suggesting that you ought to have taken what dr.grace said more seriously. In point of fact, I myself did not entirely agree with dr.grace's point, since I thought it rather likely that alcohol would not harm a Pilot Custom 823 when used to remove sticker residue in any reasonable way. I also suspect, but do not know, that Goo Gone will be just fine. I have not edited my previous response. Read it again if you did not understand it properly the first time. I only fall short of recommending these solutions because I couldn't find any documentation on the Pilot site about the type of plastic used in the Custom 823. Since you've done it, you can recommend it on the basis of your own experience. I was not suggesting that others should not listen to you in this very particular matter. Not at all.

My objection to your response, however, was that you were responding to a general statement with only the knowledge of some few particular situations like this one. If you knew more, you'd understand why alcohol should be avoided for use on pens in general. It's not that it will harm all pens. It won't. But it most certainly will harm a great many of them, mostly vintage, but some modern, like these.
    Last edited by mhosea; June 13th, 2015 at 09:51 PM.
    --
    Mike

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Hawk (June 17th, 2015), sharmon202 (July 4th, 2015)

Thanks

Some of you are so absolutely laughable. nurse grace, now you're back pedaling. First you and puppy coyote said no alcohol should be used to clean any plastics. And that I should buy an 823 and prove it. That infers that I was lying. But little johnnie szanto says that is civil dialogue. Mhuckypuck tried to resist. You didn't directly address me, you should have. Doing it indirectly makes you look bad. You don't need any help, there. You do a pretty good job of making yourself look like an ignorant suck up. " Hence, when dr. grace says something even modestly scientific, I tend to listen but that's just me. You also said that so much of life depends on the skill of distinguishing the people you should listen to from those you should not. Wow, that sounded real profound but it was just a bunch of rubbish. I could care less if you listen to me. You wouldn't have looked so stupid if nurse grace had backed you up. But she didn't. She back pedaled. Some of you just insist on being hateful. This wasn't civil dialogue. Fric and frac jumped on me right away. And little jonnie dumbo decides to be their council and talk about their rights. Susan 3141 I'm sorry for helping to derail your thread. Get a small bottle of GOO GONE. I promise you, it won't hurt your 823.. Please accept my apology, as well, Tandaina.
    Seriously, Mr./Ms. K: in what social circle or environs is it considered a positive attribute to simply call other people silly names in lieu of intelligent argument?
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; June 13th, 2015 at 10:11 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Thanx
    Last edited by Special K; June 29th, 2015 at 09:59 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

So, I can be insulted up one end and down the other but if I call others silly little names, why, that's just not intelligent.
    If you'll go back and read the thread from the beginning, like every other reader has or will, you'll notice who, in a large way, was the very first person to step onto the Ad Hominem Express. You just don't have a leg to stand on, K: people weren't insulting you. Even when/if you have something solid to add, you totally blow it by going off the rails. Mercury is moving out of retrograde, so hopefully things will be improving.

~ Benjamin Franklin

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

sharmon202 (July 4th, 2015)

Thanks

Thanx
    Last edited by Special K; June 29th, 2015 at 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Um. Hi. I'm the OP. I didn't mean to start a war.

I used a little vegetable oil to get the residue off. It worked great. There wasn't much residue left. So, thanks to the person who suggested vegetable oil.

Problem solved! Okay? My 823 is shiny and happy.

Peace?

Susan
    Show me a shiny blue fountain pen and I will probably buy it.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Susan3141 For This Useful Post:

gwgtaylor (June 28th, 2015), Hawk (June 17th, 2015), tandaina (June 14th, 2015), Waski_the_Squirrel (June 14th, 2015)

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

So, I can be insulted up one end and down the other but if I call others silly little names, why, that's just not intelligent. Hey M hose. What little you now know is from your researching over the last several hours. You are the one that doesn't know what you're talking about. Now you're contradicting nurse grace.. She has back pedaled far enough to admit that I'm right.. This is getting old and stupid. You guys are illiterate. You have no lives. This forum is your whole world.. And no, I didn't need to take nurse grace more seriously, she was wrong. Mister hose, you really are pitiful. Go give each other a back rub. Just goes to show, you can not argue with ignorance. Go play with your cheap pens. Better yet, get a girlfriend.
    Wow, you little girls really must feel threatened by me. You don't need to be, just stop being ignorant geekiziods that have nothing better to do then to convince others that I'm a bad guy. Hokie, we're talking about an 823. Not a bunch of vintage pens from the fifties why is it so important for you mental midgets to prove me wrong. Little jonnie, you're the Ad hominem racer, you're the the one that talks about fairness and rights. All these cute little analogies you use says that you want to continue to cause problems. Why don't the two of you go play in the sandbox. It really is over

Your posts in this thread are extraordinarily condescending and impolite. I cannot take what you say seriously because of the uncivil way that you insist on saying it. You may want to take a breath and consider how you come across to others before hitting that "post quick reply" button.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

Cookies (June 15th, 2015), Hawk (June 17th, 2015), Jon Szanto (June 14th, 2015), Laura N (June 14th, 2015), sharmon202 (July 4th, 2015)

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susan3141 View Post
    Um. Hi. I'm the OP. I didn't mean to start a war.

I used a little vegetable oil to get the residue off. It worked great. There wasn't much residue left. So, thanks to the person who suggested vegetable oil.

Problem solved! Okay? My 823 is shiny and happy.

Peace?

Susan

Susan, I'm glad you solved the problem. Thanks for letting us know what worked for you.

Now that the sticker is removed, how do you like that 823?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Some of you are so absolutely laughable. nurse grace, now you're back pedaling. First you and puppy coyote said no alcohol should be used to clean any plastics. And that I should buy an 823 and prove it. That infers that I was lying. But little johnnie szanto says that is civil dialogue. Mhuckypuck tried to resist. You didn't directly address me, you should have. Doing it indirectly makes you look bad. You don't need any help, there. You do a pretty good job of making yourself look like an ignorant suck up. " Hence, when dr. grace says something even modestly scientific, I tend to listen but that's just me. You also said that so much of life depends on the skill of distinguishing the people you should listen to from those you should not. Wow, that sounded real profound but it was just a bunch of rubbish. I could care less if you listen to me. You wouldn't have looked so stupid if nurse grace had backed you up. But she didn't. She back pedaled. Some of you just insist on being hateful. This wasn't civil dialogue. Fric and frac jumped on me right away. And little jonnie dumbo decides to be their council and talk about their rights. Susan 3141 I'm sorry for helping to derail your thread. Get a small bottle of GOO GONE. I promise you, it won't hurt your 823.. Please accept my apology, as well, Tandaina.
    So, I can be insulted up one end and down the other but if I call others silly little names, why, that's just not intelligent. Hey M hose. What little you now know is from your researching over the last several hours. You are the one that doesn't know what you're talking about. Now you're contradicting nurse grace.. She has back pedaled far enough to admit that I'm right.. This is getting old and stupid. You guys are illiterate. You have no lives. This forum is your whole world.. And no, I didn't need to take nurse grace more seriously, she was wrong. Mister hose, you really are pitiful. Go give each other a back rub. Just goes to show, you can not argue with ignorance. Go play with your cheap pens. Better yet, get a girlfriend.
    Wow, you little girls really must feel threatened by me. You don't need to be, just stop being ignorant geekiziods that have nothing better to do then to convince others that I'm a bad guy. Hokie, we're talking about an 823. Not a bunch of vintage pens from the fifties why is it so important for you mental midgets to prove me wrong. Little jonnie, you're the Ad hominem racer, you're the the one that talks about fairness and rights. All these cute little analogies you use says that you want to continue to cause problems. Why don't the two of you go play in the sandbox. It really is over
    Ging Ging, I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt the first time around. I realized you are prone to reading insults where none is intended, and that's a hard burden to carry. I'm sure you're a nice guy. I assume you've had some bad experiences. I can sympathize: I want everyone to get along, always, but I've lost my temper at times on this forum and made posts that were overly sharp and that I regretted. This is a nice place, though, and most people forgive that kind of thing. Or, resent it forever, but what can you do?

You've got a second chance here, and people will give that to you. Please, for your own sake, and the sake of people here who want a more pleasant environment, please stop doing this kind of thing. I agree with Reprieve. Maybe instead of posting when you are very angry, instead of making everything personal (which it almost never is), just write it up in a Word document, or TextEdit, or even on pen and paper. Then sit on it instead of posting.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (June 14th, 2015), Hawk (June 17th, 2015), Jon Szanto (June 14th, 2015), Neo (June 14th, 2015), reprieve (June 14th, 2015), Sammyo (July 8th, 2015), sharmon202 (July 4th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susan3141 View Post
    Yay!!!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I love it. I filled it with Pelikan Edelstein Amber and it just wasn't writing well. I don't know why. I emptied it, did some Goulet pen flush, used a little piece of acetate between the tines, and filled with Iroshizuku Tsukushi. Flow is great and the pen writes smoothly. I don't know if the pen just didn't like Amber ink or if there was silicone residue that cleaning fixed, but it's working perfectly now.
    Show me a shiny blue fountain pen and I will probably buy it.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Susan3141 For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (June 14th, 2015), Jon Szanto (June 14th, 2015), reprieve (June 14th, 2015), Waski_the_Squirrel (June 14th, 2015)

Thanks

Thanx
    Last edited by Special K; June 29th, 2015 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

So, to politely correct you, Wile e coyote was the first to be rude, when he said have you even tried this on an 823? Go buy one and try it then post your results. And don't let the op be the guinea pig. I had already said i have used DNA on an 823. He either didn't read it, or chose not to believe it.
    I see nothing of the sort. I see a reference to "on the rare occasion this happens to me", not to an 823, and all of your comments in posts 5, 12, 13, and 14 are general in nature, not specific to the pen model (as were my comments - I have never owned an 823). So you are already failing. The rest is noise.

You don't like it when people are direct with you, you have some absolute need to be right, you are obsessed with back-pedaling, and all the rest. We've solved the problem for the OP, and you still insist on pleading a non-existent case. Nothing that anyone did or said compares to your behavior, and everyone reading the thread is aware of this. Some self-reflection away from the computer would be of value.

~ Benjamin Franklin

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

sharmon202 (July 4th, 2015)

Thanks

If I say DNA works great, and one of several responses from another is, don't walk, run away from DNA.
    Perhaps you can answer a question. How do you decide whether or not it is safe to use denatured alcohol on a given pen? Suppose it is a Visconti or some other expensive modern pen. Is DNA always safe in your opinion?
    Last edited by mhosea; June 14th, 2015 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Add quotation
    --
    Mike