Thread: Kuretake Maki-E Urushi Natural Weasel Brush Pens

Thanks

Default Kuretake Maki-E Urushi Natural Weasel Brush Pens

Has anyone ever used or even seen these brush pens before? Made by Kuretake they're calling them Maki-E whole body Urushi Lacquer finish Weasel Natural Hair tip Brush Pen. They come in four designs...hares in moonlight, flying cranes, Cherry blossoms, and I think a Weeping Willow. Supposedly about 20 coats of lacquer. Weasel hair. Etc.

Thanks

Default Re: Kuretake Maki-E Urushi Natural Weasel Brush Pens

I have just the normal Kuretake weasel brush pen, not the urushi version. It's one of my favorite drawing tools, very reliable, expressive, capable of the finest hairlines as well as thick bold strokes. If you just want a brush pen, the non-urushi models are readily available on Amazon at good prices. (And Jetpens, but at much higher prices.)

NB: The animal that produces the fur used for these brushes was mistaken called "sable" in English at least 150 years ago, but the name remains in use by traditional Western brush manufacturers to this day. But it's actually a type of weasel, and the Asian name is more appropriate. These aren't Kolinsky-quality sable brushes, more like typical red sable, but they hold their points pretty well. Replacement sections with new brushes aren't very expensive. I've replaced one so far in three years.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to elaineb For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (November 10th, 2020)

Thanks

I have several other cartridge brush pens...one Pentel and the other another Kuretake (but ads said Sable for that one). Both perform very well. I was just intreagued by the Maki E and Urushi model. Selling for $50 delivered. Nice little item once a converter is put into play.

Thanks much for your input.

Thanks

Oh, $50 isn't bad.... but sadly I have no spare pen funds for a while. Yes, a converter is essential. I usually have one pen loaded with Platinum Carbon ink, and another (non-sable) with a grey made with Carbon Ink and water. It's nice to see someone else using these pens. Do you draw with them? Or use them for writing?

Thanks

I mostly try to draw and practice a humerous cursive. The brush pens form a niche among a growing jumble of Manga nibs, dip pens of various ilk and regular fountain pens. Then there's the water colors and their brushs, sticks and pencils. All in all it's supposed to be an artist's arsenal to accommodate a love of pen and wash urban sketching.

Another recent favorite is one of the Ranga ebonite dip pens...totally amazing instruments. I guess they take the Japanese G nibs too, so there's that to yet discover...but their ability to write cleanly for half a page on a single dip just has me in awe!

See? Sure, there's the art...but I do love the toys. And the Kuritake's "Rabbits in Moonlight" theme rather charmed me, being a classic Japanese folk tale of some renoun, espousing a moral I hold dear. But I blather on, sorry.

Thanks

Blathering is always welcome. I used to do a lot more so-called "urban" sketching (which took place more in parks and at home, than outside with lots of architecture). But when I started an intensive atelier course of drawing and oil painting last year, most of my energies got focused on easel work. I always have my pen kit and sketchbook with me, but it's more now just for doodling and schematics of projects I want to make.

I will look up the Japanese folk tale. Sounds like that pen is something that need to come home with you, though.

Thanks

Here's the Rabbit Moon story. Scroll to the Japanese section.

http://truefaith7.hubpages.com/hub/moon-rabbit

Note: the moon and Rabbit connection in myth apparently exists in many cultures the world over and there are some really comprehensive Google links that can be used to find some of these...Meso American...Roman...along the Silk Road...etc. A bit much for us today I fear.

Thanks

Super cool brush pen!
    I got this pen for my husband for his birthday. It is fantastic for writing artistically or decoratively and he has been enjoying experimenting with different writing styles and patterns. It can even be used for calligraphy style writing. Not so great for note-taking, but that's not it's purpose I suppose. You can write with different line weight and textures by turning the pen to different angles. The ink is beautiful, thick, and has lasted a surprisingly long amount of time without losing any of it's quality.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,814 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhorse View Post
    Has anyone ever used or even seen these brush pens before?
    No, but I use a vintage Platinum brush pen with natural hair. It's fantastic:

C.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

A Smug Dill (November 11th, 2020), Ahriman4891 (November 10th, 2020)

Thanks

I use a Kuretake brush pen for drawing. It’s an excellent tool. Mine is just plastic.